none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
keesio said:
For complete applications with no red flags, I'd say it is easily less than a month. They request a background check from the US (assuming we are talking about US applicants), which they get pretty quickly because of the easy access of information between US and Canada, and then go through the contents of the application forms, submitted documentation and relationship evidence. They spend likely the most time looking at the relationship evidence - especially if it is one of those applications where the person went nuts and sent in 500 photos and 1000 pages of chat messages. Assuming that the forms look all correct to the case officer and he/she has all the documents needed and trusts the authenticity and he/she has no suspicions about the relationship, then that's pretty much it I think. This is best case scenario. If the application is incomplete (didn't send in FBI certificate or Medicals with the original application) or there is some red flag where the officer will actually try to confirm information on the application (like actually calling former employers listed in the employment history) or trying to validate if listed dates that the sponsor supposedly visited the applicant (by trying to get entry/exit records or airline records) then that is when things start to slow down. Basically if they don't trust something, then that is the (time) killer since they start trying to validate everything.

But overall, I'd say for most, 80% of the processing time is the application sitting in some pile.
Yep, some people do send insane volumes of pictures... I always wondered what other *extreme* applications CIC have received, anything with "inappropriate" material maybe hehe?
I mean it can definitely work as a proof of relationship ;D ;D ;D.
Not sure how CIC will react to that, or if anyone has ever actually sent something like it... they do ask you pretty personal questions on the applications, so technically it should OK to send some interesting videos/pictures of relationship also ;D ;D ;D

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
o6ocpaka said:
Yep, some people do send insane volumes of pictures... I always wondered what other *extreme* applications CIC have received, anything with "inappropriate" material maybe hehe?
I mean it can definitely work as a proof of relationship ;D ;D ;D.
Not sure how CIC will react to that, or if anyone has ever actually sent something like it... they do ask you pretty personal questions on the applications, so technically it should OK to send some interesting videos/pictures of relationship also ;D ;D ;D
I suspect there isn't much in the photos, but chat logs are probably a whole different story. I know I didn't check mine too carefully. :eek: ;D

srd3936

Sep 19, 2015
I am a Canadian citizen returning from the US to live in Canada having been gone since about 1996. I have read all the postings on bring my car and goods back to Canada but have a couples of questions.

1) Since I resided outside of Canada longer than 5 years I am exempt from the provision that requires me not to have purchased anything within the last 6 months. Correct?
2) I am putting my vehicle on my B4 form and since it was $12K when I purchased it in 2010 I'm making a rash assumption its current value is <$10K, therefore no GST etc. What I was wondering about is vehicle modifications needed for importing into Canada. Car is older than 2007 therefore no Electronic Immobilization System required according to my reading of the RIV but it is mentioned that a metric odometer may be necessary. Does anyone know how critical having the metric odometer as a modification for vehicle import? Also, is there any restriction on car sale once it's in Canada?
3) Is it smart to bring driving records from my last (or all?) previous car insurance providers to prove safe driving record for a better auto insurance rate in Canada?

Regarding my B4 for Goods.....
1) is it an estimated current CDN value on my goods? How do I determine that? So 2 pair of jeans at $10 CDN value or is it the value of 2 pair of jeans at the time of purchase in US dollars converted to CDN? Value of Books is what I could sell them for in CDN dollars or what I paid originally for them in US dollars converted to CDN?

Thanks for the help.... the confusion is in the details which for some of us can become microscopic.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
rugrat907 said:
I suspect there isn't much in the photos, but chat logs are probably a whole different story. I know I didn't check mine too carefully. :eek: ;D
Well if they ask us for an interview with intent to provide more relationship proof I will bring our honeymoon dvds.... :-X

CharisseyB

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
09-22-2015
AOR Received.
05-05-2015 Sponsorship Approval
File Transfer...
12-05-2015 Mississauga to Ottawa
Med's Done....
31-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 07-02-2016
LANDED..........
Possibly APRIL 2016
GUYS!!!! I know it is extremely hard...But look at the bright side of things okay? We will get there...I am praying for each applicant here. I will send everything that they need via email and courier!:)

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
LT1013 said:
In Process today! No date is listed in ECAS. I got the new Ottawa generic standard document request letter on Tuesday
Congrats! Let us know when you get DM!

ChellyCat

Jan 8, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
30-July-2015 (Proof of sponsor's Canadian residence)
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
IP: August 6. DM: Sept 26
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
I GOT DM TODAY YOU GUYSSSSSSS!!!!

So excited.... Could not be happier! Hopefully they mail it straight away! Hope to hear more of you wake up to DMs today :)

The Ottawa spreadsheet is not working for me right now for some reason, but here's my timeline:

App received by CIC: Feb 5, 2015
SA: April 10
Docs Request (RPRF/Proof of residence): July 30
IP: August 6
DM: Sept 26

Note: My meds & FBI check were NOT done upfront, but I never had any issues sending those in once I received them. I sent my medical sometime in late April and my FBI check in June or July I believe?

Also I notice, I don't have a new line on ECAS saying "We reached a decision on XX date," the status just shows DM but the contents inside are the same.

CamL-W

Jun 4, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-June-2015
Doc's Request.
03-December-2015
AOR Received.
SA Letter: 13-August-2015
File Transfer...
In Process : 06-August-2015
Med's Done....
09-March-2015
Passport Req..
New Imm Pics : 03-December-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 10-January-2016 / COPR: 19-January-2016
Yay congrats!

ChellyCat said:

So excited.... Could not be happier! Hopefully they mail it straight away! Hope to hear more of you wake up to DMs today :)

The Ottawa spreadsheet is not working for me right now for some reason, but here's my timeline:

Note: My meds & FBI check were NOT done upfront, but I never had any issues sending those in once I received them. I sent my medical sometime in late April and my FBI check in June or July I believe?

Also I notice, I don't have a new line on ECAS saying "We reached a decision on XX date," the status just shows DM but the contents inside are the same.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
ChellyCat said:

Congrats still stuck at IP that's odd they update Ecas on Saturday unless you do not check yesterday?

ChellyCat

Jan 8, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
jamsham12 said:
Congrats still stuck at IP that's odd they update Ecas on Saturday unless you do not check yesterday?
Thanks! I did check yesterday, was still IP. It seems they update any day following a business day (so Tuesday through Saturday).

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
ChellyCat said:

congrats :D maybe we will get ours soon also

WDWgirl2011

Nov 4, 2014
ChellyCat said:

Congrats!!! :D

ChellyCat

Jan 8, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
Thank you all! Very surprised I'm the only one with any news today. My fellow August 6 IPers should be hearing soon, I hope.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
srd3936 said:
I am a Canadian citizen returning from the US to live in Canada having been gone since about 1996. I have read all the postings on bring my car and goods back to Canada but have a couples of questions.

1) Since I resided outside of Canada longer than 5 years I am exempt from the provision that requires me not to have purchased anything within the last 6 months. Correct?
Yep.

srd3936 said:
2) I am putting my vehicle on my B4 form and since it was $12K when I purchased it in 2010 I'm making a rash assumption its current value is <$10K, therefore no GST etc. What I was wondering about is vehicle modifications needed for importing into Canada. Car is older than 2007 therefore no Electronic Immobilization System required according to my reading of the RIV but it is mentioned that a metric odometer may be necessary. Does anyone know how critical having the metric odometer as a modification for vehicle import? Also, is there any restriction on car sale once it's in Canada?
No GST anyway (AFAIK), you bring all your stuff up tax-free as a new settler. They do expect you come back and pay it if you sell your car within a year. If your car has metric speed indications on it at all you should be okay. I have seen many an American car with the odometer in miles recently in my search for a new car.

srd3936 said:
3) Is it smart to bring driving records from my last (or all?) previous car insurance providers to prove safe driving record for a better auto insurance rate in Canada?
In my experience the driving record (like citation history) won't help much, they are going to go off of claim history. I have yet to be asked for formal proof of my claim history, I'm sure they contact my old insurer and sort it out. Granted, I have recent at-fault claims and such, you may have better luck than me. Also, insurance up here is much MUCH cheaper than it is in the USA.

srd3936 said:
Regarding my B4 for Goods.....
1) is it an estimated current CDN value on my goods? How do I determine that? So 2 pair of jeans at $10 CDN value or is it the value of 2 pair of jeans at the time of purchase in US dollars converted to CDN? Value of Books is what I could sell them for in CDN dollars or what I paid originally for them in US dollars converted to CDN?
Basically on the B4, they won't care about a box of clothing declared at $50. They're on the lookout for anything that's high value that isn't listed on the form. I had lots of things (ice skates, cuff links, etc) that are blanketed under "clothes and shoes." I asked the officer specifically if this was an issue, and he said as long as things like the skates weren't worth $200 and lumped in with something declared as $50, it's fine.

Basically, declare anything expensive (computers, TVs, tools/equipment) on its own (with a serial number, if possible) and everything else should be enumerated and labeled, but the value isn't particularly important.

ashleyac

Sep 16, 2015
ChellyCat said:

I'm having the exact same experience right now- mine was updated this evening, but the contents themselves haven't changed. I'm a little worried (re:very) because they only received my entire application June 29th... I'm afraid a decision was made so quickly because it was refused rather than approved. That said, we had all of our documents in at the initial application (and had hired lawyers). I wonder if 3 months is abnormally fast for a DM?? I just wish they would tell you right there if it has been approved or not :eek: