November5, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 15, 2014
LANDED..........
May 24, 2015
Hello,

I am a US citizen and married a Canadian Military Member on June 25, 2014. My application for sponsorship sent to Mississauga, ON will arrive tomorrow. I am going to complete my medical exam August 15. I have sent the FBI prints and everything for clearance. We have bought a house in Ontario. I am packing my things and moving them into storage and plan on "visiting" him while they process our application. I sent pictures and airline tickets from trips. My Questions are:

-Since I am going to be in Ontario should we notify CIC and will they process me in Ottawa?
-I am coming to the boarder with all of my clothes and possessions I don't want in storage, what forms do I need? I know I can not move until PR is granted. But I do not want to put certain things into storage.
-Will they need more proof of our relationship?
- I sent them a copy of our license of marriage but thunder bay takes a while to get the actual cert. Will that delay it or will that be good enough?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mandy_28115 said:
Hello,

I am a US citizen and married a Canadian Military Member on June 25, 2014. My application for sponsorship sent to Mississauga, ON will arrive tomorrow. I am going to complete my medical exam August 15. I have sent the FBI prints and everything for clearance. We have bought a house in Ontario. I am packing my things and moving them into storage and plan on "visiting" him while they process our application. I sent pictures and airline tickets from trips. My Questions are:

-Since I am going to be in Ontario should we notify CIC and will they process me in Ottawa?
-I am coming to the boarder with all of my clothes and possessions I don't want in storage, what forms do I need? I know I can not move until PR is granted. But I do not want to put certain things into storage.
- I sent them a copy of our license of marriage but thunder bay takes a while to get the actual cert. Will that delay it or will that be good enough?
if you are applying outland, your application will automaticlly go to Ottawa unless the visa officers find somthing questionable in the application, thn it will be transferred to LA for further processing.

As a US citizen, it's really not recommended to show up at the border with all your worldly possessions. there is a large chance of being denied entry because VISITORS don't travel with their worldly possessions. Also, there are no forms because you are a visitor, and you are not privy to bringing things with you duty free until you land as a pr. Good luck and let us know how that goes. My guess it's not going to go over very well unless your husband is moving back to canada and can convince th border agents your belongings are actually his. What most people do is keep their belongings in storage until after approval.

As the required documnent for the application is the certificate, it's hard to say what will happen. some licenses are also certificates, so it might be ok. if it's not, CIC will request it, and it can possibly delay the process. NO ONE is really going to be able to tell you for sure, you will just have to wait to see what happns with CIC.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Hi, this is the advice I can give you. If you apply outland, your application will go from Mississauga to Ottawa.. regardless of what you do.. if it's a complicated case it will get transferred to a US based office from there. You do not need to notify them. They do it on their own.

DO NOT come to the border with a car loaded with all your prized possessions. Treat the crossing over the boarder as going on a.. VACATION. You WOULD bring a bag or two of clothes and some jewelry or shoes or something like that... You WOULDN'T load it up with 6-7 suitcases, collectibles, and other stuff that might seem like you are NOT going on vacation but staying there. They WILL notice and they WILL make your day hell.. and might refuse entry into Canada.

I would definitely provide more than just pictures and airline tickets. I would provide phone records, chat convos, support letters from family, copy of wedding invite, little things that show your relationship is real. You might think it's too much, but that will show the officer that your relationship is real. There is a good thread out there that showed what one person put in their package and how they organized it. If I find it, I will link it.

Good luck!

Edit: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t232046.0.html;msg3353788#msg3353788 here's what one person did.. look at their support... they also listed two links in the thread that helped them which might be worth looking at. They are solid examples of what kind of proof you might want to consider putting in your package.

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
If you can afford it, you could ship some of your stuff to your new house instead of taking it with you (clothes, etc). That's what my husband did so he only had to take a couple suitcases of clothes with him when he came to "visit".

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
MizAngel said:
If you can afford it, you could ship some of your stuff to your new house instead of taking it with you (clothes, etc). That's what my husband did so he only had to take a couple suitcases of clothes with him when he came to "visit".
Another idea is having someone come visit you when you're there, and bring an extra suitcase of your stuff with. My mom did that. It's cheaper to pay for extra suitcase than shipping at times...

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
kasia333 said:
Another idea is having someone come visit you when you're there, and bring an extra suitcase of your stuff with. My mom did that. It's cheaper to pay for extra suitcase than shipping at times...
True, we did that too. My grandmother lives just across the border in the US so we dropped a couple of his suitcases at her house on the way home and she brought them across the border for him.

mandy_28115

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29,2014
Doc's Request.
Sept 13 2014
AOR Received.
September 26,2014
File Transfer...
November5, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 15, 2014
LANDED..........
May 24, 2015
MizAngel said:
True, we did that too. My grandmother lives just across the border in the US so we dropped a couple of his suitcases at her house on the way home and she brought them across the border for him.
Thank you :)

mandy_28115

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29,2014
Doc's Request.
Sept 13 2014
AOR Received.
September 26,2014
File Transfer...
November5, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 15, 2014
LANDED..........
May 24, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
if you are applying outland, your application will automaticlly go to Ottawa unless the visa officers find somthing questionable in the application, thn it will be transferred to LA for further processing.

As a US citizen, it's really not recommended to show up at the border with all your worldly possessions. there is a large chance of being denied entry because VISITORS don't travel with their worldly possessions. Also, there are no forms because you are a visitor, and you are not privy to bringing things with you duty free until you land as a pr. Good luck and let us know how that goes. My guess it's not going to go over very well unless your husband is moving back to canada and can convince th border agents your belongings are actually his. What most people do is keep their belongings in storage until after approval.

As the required documnent for the application is the certificate, it's hard to say what will happen. some licenses are also certificates, so it might be ok. if it's not, CIC will request it, and it can possibly delay the process. NO ONE is really going to be able to tell you for sure, you will just have to wait to see what happns with CIC.
This actually helps a lot and I plan to put into storage while I wait. I think I will start gathering more proof of our relationship and when my police certificate arrives send a timeline of our relationship with emails. It is very intimate details but ANYTHING to move it faster is worth it. I didn't know if it is an uncomplicated case that it goes to Ottawa..I thought that every PR for family class for US is through LA. I would prefer it to go to Ottawa since I will be "visiting".

I hope since I need my police certificate and medical exam to be done that it doesn't delay it to much. My medical exam is Aug 15, and sent my prints to FBI weeks ago, but asked them to mail results to address in Ontario.

I also sent my Registered Nursing license for the states and sent my verification letter from College of Nurses Ontario that I have applied for a license there. Hoping that shows that I also have the means to work.

I did not have the option C print out but my husband is Canadian Army and gave a letter from his command stating his status and the last 12 months of pay statements. I can get him to get his option c when I see him Aug 1.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mandy_28115 said:
I also sent my Registered Nursing license for the states and sent my verification letter from College of Nurses Ontario that I have applied for a license there. Hoping that shows that I also have the means to work.
good news for you is, i just heard/read somewhere that Ontario (if not all of canada) is adopting the same nursing certification test as the US, so it will make getting work as a nurse in ontario MUCH easier, as you won't have to take another certification exam to work!

mandy_28115

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29,2014
Doc's Request.
Sept 13 2014
AOR Received.
September 26,2014
File Transfer...
November5, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 15, 2014
LANDED..........
May 24, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
good news for you is, i just heard/read somewhere that Ontario (if not all of canada) is adopting the same nursing certification test as the US, so it will make getting work as a nurse in ontario MUCH easier, as you won't have to take another certification exam to work!
Yes this is true, I have already talked to a board member of Ontario and their process is September they will meet to make legislation and hoping it will go into effect Jan 2015. Ontario is switching from CRNE to NCLEX in Jan.

That is very good news for me as I have already spoke with the ER manager in the town and she would love to have me! I already have the husband, the house, job offer, just need my PR :)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mandy_28115 said:
Yes this is true, I have already talked to a board member of Ontario and their process is September they will meet to make legislation and hoping it will go into effect Jan 2015. Ontario is switching from CRNE to NCLEX in Jan.

That is very good news for me as I have already spoke with the ER manager in the town and she would love to have me! I already have the husband, the house, job offer, just need my PR :)
yes, nursing is one of the highest demand jobs right now! they don't make as much in canada as in the us, but at least there are plenty of jobs available. if my sister ever wanted to come to canada, nursing would be her best route, so i was happy to hear about the change. :)

mandy_28115

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29,2014
Doc's Request.
Sept 13 2014
AOR Received.
September 26,2014
File Transfer...
November5, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 15, 2014
LANDED..........
May 24, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, nursing is one of the highest demand jobs right now! they don't make as much in canada as in the us, but at least there are plenty of jobs available. if my sister ever wanted to come to canada, nursing would be her best route, so i was happy to hear about the change. :)
How did you modify your profile to have a picture and your stats?

Also I just received notification that they received our package today :)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
click on your name, and a box will be on th left where it will prompt you as to how to change it. you may need to get to 10 posts before you can update your profile, though some people seem to be able to do it before 10 posts.

mandy_28115

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29,2014
Doc's Request.
Sept 13 2014
AOR Received.
September 26,2014
File Transfer...
November5, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 15, 2014
LANDED..........
May 24, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
click on your name, and a box will be on th left where it will prompt you as to how to change it. you may need to get to 10 posts before you can update your profile, though some people seem to be able to do it before 10 posts.
So what kind of timings have you been seeing for uncomplicated cases? I don't think ours is complicated, no children

Have you seen any under 6 months?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
current ottawa applicants (US) are getting approved in 5-7 months. even though applicants from sept-dec are still waiting, it seems newer applications are being processed quicker. there is a spreadsheet that's tracking progress in the ottawa thread, so check it out to see what the "trends" are.