+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US green card and Canadian PR at the same time

jalal0

Jul 5, 2016
Thanks for replying
But the process after applying for USA citizenship has been changed
You can apply After 4years and 9 month
And between the citizenship test and ceremony 4 months
In total 5years and 1 or tow months maximum 3 of my friends got their citizenship this year
Total is 5 years and 2 months
That's way I'm planning to get tow months residency in Canada just in case
Thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jalal0 said:
Thanks for replying
But the process after applying for USA citizenship has been changed
You can apply After 4years and 9 month
And between the citizenship test and ceremony 4 months
In total 5years and 1 or tow months maximum 3 of my friends got their citizenship this year
Total is 5 years and 2 months
That's way I'm planning to get tow months residency in Canada just in case
Thank you
If those times are accurate, then you have a much better chance. Though the US government website does state 6 months processing time.

You will need to hope in over 2 years time from now, the US citizenship rules and processing times are the same as what they are today. Lots can change in that time. Any delay, and you would then put your Canadian PR at risk for not meeting RO.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
keesio said:
If CBP finds out that you became a Canadian PR (see stamp in your passport, etc), it will make them suspicious and question you about it. They will ask why you acquired Canadian PR since you must have your primary residence in the US to keep your Green Card.
Canada counts partial days, so it would be legal (as an example) to live in Blaine, WA but work in Vancouver. You would meet the RO for Canada, but still live in the US.

Indiacan

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Hi

We are PR in Canada and also Green Card in process (family base), we have 10 yr multiple visitor visa, it's just expired, can we apply for visitor visa while GC process is going on, is there any complication for simultaneous process, please advise

Indiacan

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Indiacan said:
Hi

We are PR in Canada and also USA Green Card in process (family base), we have 10 yr multiple USA visitor visa, it's just expired, can we apply for USA visitor visa while GC process is going on, is there any complication for simultaneous process, please advise

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont know if anyone is still looking for this information but I will post it regardless. I have a US green card and a Canadian PR at the same time.
I went to Canada in April 2014 for landing formalities then came back to US. When you enter US via road, the only document they look at is your green card. They will ask you how long did it stay, where did you go, etc.
If you are living in USA, its straight forward answer, they know you live in US because you probably lived there for years.
Please keep in mind, entering US through land only requires green card, hence no question about your passport or the permanent residence stamp on it. However, I was asked about the stamp in preclearance when coming through Abu Dhabi. I told the officer honestly, that I had applied for canadian PR before I applied for US. Once I received US green card, then I wasnt using canadian PR anymore. Just one question, and a simple question.
I was asked through other ports about dual residency and had to explain that it doesnt matter if you have multiple residency permits as long as you live in one. This happened several times but after my explanation I was free to go.

Reactions: sophia1216

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
I have both PR in US and Canada. I reside in the US, currently. My husband is Canadian and I was able to get my PRTD approved for Canada no problem. I've just submitted my PR renewal to Canada so we'll see what happens there.

As for crossing the borders, I didn't have an issue going into the US, but when I was going to Canada, they did ask me if/when I was planning to return. But no issues there either.

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have both PR in US and Canada. I reside in the US, currently. My husband is Canadian and I was able to get my PRTD approved for Canada no problem. I've just submitted my PR renewal to Canada so we'll see what happens there.

As for crossing the borders, I didn't have an issue going into the US, but when I was going to Canada, they did ask me if/when I was planning to return. But no issues there either.
This means you dont have a PR card for Canada.

I do have the following questions for you.
1) How many times have you been to Canada after being a PR of both countries at the same time?
2) When entering Canada, what questions would CBSA ask you?
3) How did you go about getting travel document because that would give them the impression you are not residing in Canada?

I just to mention I am a US citizen now and my circumstances have changed a little.

R

rish888

1) How many times have you been to Canada after being a PR of both countries at the same time?
3) How did you go about getting travel document because that would give them the impression you are not residing in Canada?

I just to mention I am a US citizen now and my circumstances have changed a little.
Her husband is a Canadian citizen. Every day spent accompanying her husband counts as one day to the RO, so she could get a PRTD (and a PR card and retain her PR status) without ever needing to live in Canada.

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012

You still have PR status even if your card expires.

1) I've traveled back and forth at least 3 times.
2) I was only questioned once, and they asked me when we would move back to Canada.
3) You have to apply for a travel document if your PR card expires, in order to travel by commercial transportation. I even sent a copy of my green card for my PRTD application and there was no issue. I did write a cover letter explaining that I moved to live with my Canadian husband and will be travelling back to Toronto multiple times so that they would issue me a multiple-entry PRTD. It was approved with no problem.

goldmary

Nov 1, 2013
Your plan will probably not work. If you got US GC in Feb 2014, you will qualify to apply for naturalization in Feb 2019. You then need to continue living in US until your citizenship is approved. See here: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/path-us-citizenship
Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization

Since it's probably longer than a 6 months process to get citizenship after the app is submitted, that mean you need to stay living in the US probably well past Sept 2019, and who knows how long it will actually take.

By this time you will most likely be in violation of the Canada PR residency obligation, so by waiting for US citizenship there's a good chance your Canada PR status will be revoked when you try to return to Canada. You should probably pick either US or Canadian, and not try to get both.

Hello Forum members,

I have U.S green card and Canadian pr issued to me about the same time in 2014,but I currently live and work in Detroit Michigan for the main reason of taking care of my mom who has breast cancer. Also I'm a health professional who is better paid in U.S,and I've not bothered to take the Canadian exams which I'm not even in the right frame of mind to try right now.
I have the ultimate intention of getting my U.S citizenship, then I can permanently move to Windsor, and be commuting to work in U.S

However I've been driving frequently to Windsor ON, in order to visit my son who lives with my ex-wife.

Recently,I've been encountering some tough questions from the Canadian border agents.

Is it illegal to have both cards? Recently they demanded to see my U.S green card,but unfortunately I forgot the card when I left my house in Detroit.Therefore I had to phone a friend to bring my U.S green card to my hotel in Windsor in order to drive back to Michigan.

However I'll like to know if I should actually show the Canadian border agents my U.S green card or not, if they should ask me next time I'm driving across the border.

R

rish888

Are you in compliance with the residency obligation?

If so, there is no need to show them jack diddly squat. (Even if you weren't you still don't need to show anything, but that wouldn't be wise) If they get too pushy gently remind them you are a Canadian PR in compliance with your residency obligation.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello Forum members,

I have U.S green card and Canadian pr issued to me about the same time in 2014,but I currently live and work in Detroit Michigan for the main reason of taking care of my mom who has breast cancer. Also I'm a health professional who is better paid in U.S,and I've not bothered to take the Canadian exams which I'm not even in the right frame of mind to try right now.
I have the ultimate intention of getting my U.S citizenship, then I can permanently move to Windsor, and be commuting to work in U.S

However I've been driving frequently to Windsor ON, in order to visit my son who lives with my ex-wife.

Recently,I've been encountering some tough questions from the Canadian border agents.

Is it illegal to have both cards? Recently they demanded to see my U.S green card,but unfortunately I forgot the card when I left my house in Detroit.Therefore I had to phone a friend to bring my U.S green card to my hotel in Windsor in order to drive back to Michigan.

However I'll like to know if I should actually show the Canadian border agents my U.S green card or not, if they should ask me next time I'm driving across the border.
Overall: you are clearly on their radar. You might anticipate further scrutiny when crossing the border in the future.

You might anticipate the U.S. side also asking you more probing questions going forward.

No, it is NOT illegal to be a PR in both countries. It is, however, illegal and also subject to other consequences, to make any misrepresentations to authorities on either side of the border.

But yes, of course, the respective authorities tend to take a far closer and more skeptical look at someone who is a PR of both countries, since the purpose of the status is to live in the respective country, and living in the other country is inconsistent with that purpose.

If you fail to comply with your Canadian PR RO, expect problems. That should be obvious.

Are you in compliance with the residency obligation?

If so, there is no need to show them jack diddly squat. (Even if you weren't you still don't need to show anything, but that wouldn't be wise) If they get too pushy gently remind them you are a Canadian PR in compliance with your residency obligation.

I disagree with the view that a traveler can decline to present an item in possession during a PoE examination. Even a Canadian citizen needs to present any item (in possession) requested during a PoE examination. Whether the request or demand would ultimately be determined to be reasonable or potentially not-reasonable is a separate issue. If the demand is subsequently deemed to have been unreasonable, following a complaint say, perhaps the CBSA officer gets disciplined, perhaps loses the job, perhaps is just given an admonishment.

Apart from that, however, apart from the scope of CBSA authority to examine all items a traveler has in possession when seeking entry into Canada, as a pracical matter even Canadian citizens will fare far better if they fully cooperate during the course of a border examination.

Thus, as to the explicit question asked, if you are asked to show a document in your possession, YES you should show it.

Making any misrepresentations during the examination is, of course, worse than foolish . . . even if gotten away with on one or six or more occasions. Probably not a good idea to take the "I don't have it with me" approach more than once (or even once if not true).

Moreover, while I do not know anywhere near the full scope of information Canada and the U.S. share, or what restrictions there are limiting what information can be shared, the key information as to status in the respective countries and border crossing information is known both sides of the border. So being evasive (let alone deceptive) would only make a much worse impression and tend to push things in a more negative direction.

So long as you are actually living in the U.S., and perhaps so long as you are regularly employed in the U.S., perhaps the U.S. side of the border will not have an issue with your Canada PR status. But historically reports have indicated the U.S. side often tends to be tougher with those who have PR status in both countries. (And in general, many, including me, find the U.S. side is generally the more strict and unfriendly side.)

Many have successfully navigated this and proceeded to become citizens of both countries. But it can get tricky along the way.

If you fail to comply with the Canadian PR RO, it can get particularly tricky.

An important key is to not panic and make misrepresentations in order to avoid challenging encounters at the border.

goldmary

Nov 1, 2013
Overall: you are clearly on their radar. You might anticipate further scrutiny when crossing the border in the future.

You might anticipate the U.S. side also asking you more probing questions going forward.

No, it is NOT illegal to be a PR in both countries. It is, however, illegal and also subject to other consequences, to make any misrepresentations to authorities on either side of the border.

But yes, of course, the respective authorities tend to take a far closer and more skeptical look at someone who is a PR of both countries, since the purpose of the status is to live in the respective country, and living in the other country is inconsistent with that purpose.

If you fail to comply with your Canadian PR RO, expect problems. That should be obvious.

I disagree with the view that a traveler can decline to present an item in possession during a PoE examination. Even a Canadian citizen needs to present any item (in possession) requested during a PoE examination. Whether the request or demand would ultimately be determined to be reasonable or potentially not-reasonable is a separate issue. If the demand is subsequently deemed to have been unreasonable, following a complaint say, perhaps the CBSA officer gets disciplined, perhaps loses the job, perhaps is just given an admonishment.

Apart from that, however, apart from the scope of CBSA authority to examine all items a traveler has in possession when seeking entry into Canada, as a pracical matter even Canadian citizens will fare far better if they fully cooperate during the course of a border examination.

Thus, as to the explicit question asked, if you are asked to show a document in your possession, YES you should show it.

Making any misrepresentations during the examination is, of course, worse than foolish . . . even if gotten away with on one or six or more occasions. Probably not a good idea to take the "I don't have it with me" approach more than once (or even once if not true).

Moreover, while I do not know anywhere near the full scope of information Canada and the U.S. share, or what restrictions there are limiting what information can be shared, the key information as to status in the respective countries and border crossing information is known both sides of the border. So being evasive (let alone deceptive) would only make a much worse impression and tend to push things in a more negative direction.

So long as you are actually living in the U.S., and perhaps so long as you are regularly employed in the U.S., perhaps the U.S. side of the border will not have an issue with your Canada PR status. But historically reports have indicated the U.S. side often tends to be tougher with those who have PR status in both countries. (And in general, many, including me, find the U.S. side is generally the more strict and unfriendly side.)

Many have successfully navigated this and proceeded to become citizens of both countries. But it can get tricky along the way.

An important key is to not panic and make misrepresentations in order to avoid challenging encounters at the border.
Thanks for your responses. I'm really grateful.

I think I'll remain "put" in Michigan until I obtain my U.S citizenship.
After obtaining my U.S citizenship, then I'll move to Windsor, and be commuting to work in Michigan.
I don't need the hassles of the border agents any more

R

rish888

I may have misread but I believe in this case the OP didn't have her Green card with her. In that case she is under no obligation to arrange for the Green card to come to the POE just so she can show it to the officer.