+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

bells24

Dec 7, 2017
I just got my CELPIP results back and I'm pretty annoyed! I clearly have great writing skills, but they still gave me an 8 in writing. What gives? I was surprised at how incredibly short the writing section was-- two 150-200 word entries seems like nothing compared to the essays I've had to write for exams like the SAT. I requested a re-evaluation of just the writing score. I just want them to bring it up to a 9.
We had a similar situation- my husband got an 8 on writing. It only made a difference of two points in our case so I don't think I'm going to request re-evaluation, but I find it frustrating. Every other area was a 12 - it makes absolutely no sense. Good luck with your re-evaluation!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
We just got dinged on auto insurance quotes because we don't have winter tires. Because we don't need them yet. Agh! We were hoping to sort out which company to go with so we could get our tenants insurance from them and bundle from the beginning. So much for that. We'll just grab whatever we can for tenants insurance and for the auto, either end up calling after that's no longer a question if it's seasonal to ask or buying some dang winter tires so we can say we have them lol.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
We had a similar situation- my husband got an 8 on writing. It only made a difference of two points in our case so I don't think I'm going to request re-evaluation, but I find it frustrating. Every other area was a 12 - it makes absolutely no sense. Good luck with your re-evaluation!
Thank you, and I'm sorry you got stuck with the same! It's just frustrating because I'm so obviously fluent in English, but that 8 is the difference between a 420 and a 478+ for me. :( If I have to take it again I will, but I shouldn't have to. The test should measure accurately the first time.

vincentp84

Feb 15, 2018
Central Florida
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
09-02-2018
I was wondering how hard the test is for someone who was born and raised in the US and has bachelor degree? We are currently sitting at 431 pts and my wife is going to take that test in NY to help us bring our score over the minimum currently (442). If she gets the highest in all sections it would give us an additional 20pts which would be awesome.
As a result I was wondering how complex the test is and how much practice she should do?

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
I was wondering how hard the test is for someone who was born and raised in the US and has bachelor degree? We are currently sitting at 431 pts and my wife is going to take that test in NY to help us bring our score over the minimum currently (442). If she gets the highest in all sections it would give us an additional 20pts which would be awesome.
As a result I was wondering how complex the test is and how much practice she should do?
It's not very hard, but she should definitely do the practice tests. It helps you getting used to both the questions and the timing.

Also, be sure to use the bathroom before the test. They almost made my bladder explode because they do NOT allow bathroom breaks even if you are done.

vincentp84

Feb 15, 2018
Central Florida
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
09-02-2018
It's not very hard, but she should definitely do the practice tests. It helps you getting used to both the questions and the timing.

Also, be sure to use the bathroom before the test. They almost made my bladder explode because they do NOT allow bathroom breaks even if you are done.
that is crazy that the CELPIP does not allow bathroom break. the IELTS allows if you are done.

I will let her know to do at least the practice test. I have been looking to take the french test (I am french) but it is super hard to find a place that offers it anywhere near here (Florida)

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
that is crazy that the CELPIP does not allow bathroom break. the IELTS allows if you are done.

I will let her know to do at least the practice test. I have been looking to take the french test (I am french) but it is super hard to find a place that offers it anywhere near here (Florida)
My bad! I was referring to the IELTS. And yes, they do allow them on breaks, but it can be a very, very long time between breaks. Or at least, it was for me!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@northern sunshine @vincentp84 - my husband and I are both native speakers and still found the IELTS difficult at times. Well, we describe it as easy to do fine on but hard to ace if you're a native speaker. My husband actually ended up retaking it because his listening score was too low so our CRS points went from a potential max of 435 to 38?. The evening those scores came out was not fun :( (and that was right before I took it so my stress levels with it jumped). The listening section on the IELTS is awful since it's sooo easy to lose track and just a few seconds of spacing out can drop your points fast, and if you need to max them out like we did it can be bad. We were shocked that on discussions here, people called that section the easier of them! Oh, and one other issue we noticed was that a native speaker would be prone to using shortened terms when the test wanted full ones, like "insurance premiums" vs "insurance". I almost didn't catch that on my test and saw a similar thing in a practice test on the IELTS website.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you, and I'm sorry you got stuck with the same! It's just frustrating because I'm so obviously fluent in English, but that 8 is the difference between a 420 and a 478+ for me. :( If I have to take it again I will, but I shouldn't have to. The test should measure accurately the first time.
Although you have strong grammar, vocabulary and ideas, for scoring high in writing, you need to follow right technique/pattern. Good grammar and vocabulary should be the part of the pattern that you follow. That is the case at least for IELTS.

This is the recommended structure for IELTS section 2..

Only four paragraphs for a given topic.. paragraph one should contain paraphrased intro and thesis statement. Paragraph two and three should be actual response / ideas to the topic given. Paragraph four should be conclusion which should again be paraphrased introduction and a definitive conclusion. Both myself and my spouse were able to get 8 and 8.5 respectively (CLB9 and CLB10) out of 9 despite being non-native by sticking religiously to this four paragraph technique.

I am sure there is something like this for CELPIP too. Do google and check it out.

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
On the IELTS, I think the key is practicing at home before you take the test.

Practicing gives you an idea of what to expect on the test itself. And as everyone has said, some of those sections/questions can be very confusing if you haven't seen and practiced them before. Once you get an idea of what to expect, it's a lot simpler (if still stressful...).

My wife and I did a full timed practice run each. We both got 9s and it absolutely made a difference on our total score for the ITA. We wouldn't have gotten through otherwise, considering we barely scraped by. So push for every single point increase you can. As a lot of folk still waiting on the forum can tell you, even 1 point on your total score can mean getting an ITA vs not getting one.

Good luck on the test!!!!!

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
We just got dinged on auto insurance quotes because we don't have winter tires. Because we don't need them yet. Agh! We were hoping to sort out which company to go with so we could get our tenants insurance from them and bundle from the beginning. So much for that. We'll just grab whatever we can for tenants insurance and for the auto, either end up calling after that's no longer a question if it's seasonal to ask or buying some dang winter tires so we can say we have them lol.
If you don't mind saying. What was your insurance quote? I went to the RBC website to get a quote and I was quoted $230 for 2016 Nissan Murano using a Brampton postal code. When I used a Milton postal code I was quoted $160. On both occasions I lied about having winter tires. A friend of mine told me that they do not verify whether or not you have winter tires on.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
If you don't mind saying. What was your insurance quote? I went to the RBC website to get a quote and I was quoted $230 for 2016 Nissan Murano using a Brampton postal code. When I used a Milton postal code I was quoted $160. On both occasions I lied about having winter tires. A friend of mine told me that they do not verify whether or not you have winter tires on.
For a 2016 Mazda CX-5, we were quoted about 120/month originally but went up to 150/month after they accounted for the supposed lack of winter tires. I just called Sonnet though (about tenants insurance actually, their site didn't like us putting in US address for our current address) and asked about it while on the line with them and they said just say we have the tires even if we don't yet, as long as we intend to because like you said, there's no actual check on it and we do plan to get them, we're just not arriving at the time of year for it. For what it's worth, we quoted it with a North York code and it being in an underground garage.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
For a 2016 Mazda CX-5, we were quoted about 120/month originally but went up to 150/month after they accounted for the supposed lack of winter tires. I just called Sonnet though (about tenants insurance actually, their site didn't like us putting in US address for our current address) and asked about it while on the line with them and they said just say we have the tires even if we don't yet, as long as we intend to because like you said, there's no actual check on it and we do plan to get them, we're just not arriving at the time of year for it. For what it's worth, we quoted it with a North York code and it being in an underground garage.
Did you provide US insurance and driving history while getting the quote?

blackpearl

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Hey Guys, I need some help. I received my canada PR back in October 2016 but I immediately came back to USA, got married in November 2016. I had been planning my Canada move for some time but because of some health issues( some weird eye condition) I postponed. Finally I asked my company this year to transfer me to Canada and they agreed. I am planning to move there by June.

1. Will I face any issues at border/immigration and have to explain why I was away for 1.5 years.
2. What is the best way to sponsor my spouse now or at least bring her with me on some temporary VISA.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If you happen to get into an accident and they find that you didn't have winter tires, they can reject the claim. But if you plan to install them ASAP, it should be ok.