+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
He's only been licensed in one state and they were like "if you order it from us it's the exact same as printing it yourself and we have no stamps or anything to put on it either way". #&$)# Trying to figure this out . . . we can't have him unable to drive alone for months until he hits 24 months past his last license renewal here. He's the one of us most likely to get a job where he'd need to drive to get there.

edit: it's easy enough to get a history but I thought someone said theirs needed to be a hard copy from the BMV/DMV and not an online printout. The one we'd get here does cost $4 and is some official thing though so idk (http://www.in.gov/bmv/2489.htm). We're just kind of (to put it lightly) freaked out at the thought of him being unable to drive alone until September.
Ontario DMV actually asked me if I had printed it myself. I said no, and explained that the PA logo that was in pale gray in the background was the indicator it came from the DMV. The person helping me looked like she was going to reject it, but then showed it to her boss. The boss examined it and then approved it.

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
Yes, since he was 16, but his current license is less than 2 years old.
Then he is fine. Its not the issue date of his current license. Its how long he's been a licensed a driver. Thats why he would get a life time driving abstract. His current license could be a day old he will have no issues.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Ontario DMV actually asked me if I had printed it myself. I said no, and explained that the PA logo that was in pale gray in the background was the indicator it came from the DMV. The person helping me looked like she was going to reject it, but then showed it to her boss. The boss examined it and then approved it.
Ugh. Although my husband did just say he was told there was a kiosk he could use to print it, so I guess then he could say we didn't print it ourselves technically. He's going to go there now and then all but beg a manager there to sign it. They're open for another half hour and it's 15 minutes away.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Why are they so particular even about US driving licenses? Is it not that they cannot access US driving records from a shared database?

I am now getting concerned the way they are sending back people because of my name issues. I have had license in two states so far (CT, NH).

I am from India, and I have two big first names (say ABD DEC) and two big last names (say PQR XYZ). I have so far struggled so much to get agencies have it enter correctly in US.

In CT license, my name was spelt as first name: ABD-DEC last name: PQRX. They put a hyphen in first name , removed space between two last names, and removed last two letters in last name. They did their best in fitting my name there because the system doesn't allow spaces in name fields, allows only certain number of characters as last name.

In NH, it was much cleaner for last name and it was spelt as it is in passport, but first name was spelt as ABD D (just D instead of full name). The system in NH too had limitation because it allows only certain amount of characters in first name. Every time I request them to put full name just to get an hopeless response that this is the best they could do.

I have had CT license between 2015 Jan to 2016 Nov.. and NH license from 2016 Nov till now.

I have never had problems anywhere in US at all because nobody gets in to this much details as they have SSN and DOB behind the scenes which is kind of foul proof. There were no issues while transferring from CT to NH, and they just went by the exact names that used in application although the license did not have an exact match.

Do you think I will have to start all over again from G2 in Canada because of this name issue? :(

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@DEEPCUR, I would think as long as you can get the proper history like us you'll be fine.

My update is that my husband came home with the printed history. The manager wouldn't sign it and the print quality sucks BUT the paper is plasticky and shiny like receipt paper, curls oddly (in from each side instead of at the top and bottom), and the cover page (certifying it's original and with a crappy digital "signature" of whoever's in charge of the state's BMV) is a good two inches shorter than the other pages, so it's pretty clearly not from a home printer. We're feeling a lot more hopeful about it given all of that. He'll also bring his old licenses when we go to exchange our current ones to cover more bases.

On a lighter note, my state's been moving towards Sunday alcohol sales recently after years of "controversy" and I've joked that as soon as we leave they'll pass it. We're leaving the state Feb 28 and Sunday alcohol sales are likely to start March 4, so yes, the first Sunday after we leave! :p:D I'm cracking up!

@JERiv, that stinks to have to wait but at least you're all landed and ready to go as soon as the rest works out!

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I just got my CELPIP results back and I'm pretty annoyed! I clearly have great writing skills, but they still gave me an 8 in writing. What gives? I was surprised at how incredibly short the writing section was-- two 150-200 word entries seems like nothing compared to the essays I've had to write for exams like the SAT. I requested a re-evaluation of just the writing score. I just want them to bring it up to a 9.

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
Why are they so particular even about US driving licenses? Is it not that they cannot access US driving records from a shared database?

I am now getting concerned the way they are sending back people because of my name issues. I have had license in two states so far (CT, NH).

I am from India, and I have two big first names (say ABD DEC) and two big last names (say PQR XYZ). I have so far struggled so much to get agencies have it enter correctly in US.

In CT license, my name was spelt as first name: ABD-DEC last name: PQRX. They put a hyphen in first name , removed space between two last names, and removed last two letters in last name. They did their best in fitting my name there because the system doesn't allow spaces in name fields, allows only certain number of characters as last name.

In NH, it was much cleaner for last name and it was spelt as it is in passport, but first name was spelt as ABD D (just D instead of full name). The system in NH too had limitation because it allows only certain amount of characters in first name. Every time I request them to put full name just to get an hopeless response that this is the best they could do.

I have had CT license between 2015 Jan to 2016 Nov.. and NH license from 2016 Nov till now.

I have never had problems anywhere in US at all because nobody gets in to this much details as they have SSN and DOB behind the scenes which is kind of foul proof. There were no issues while transferring from CT to NH, and they just went by the exact names that used in application although the license did not have an exact match.

Do you think I will have to start all over again from G2 in Canada because of this name issue? :(
I don't think that you will because of your name. How long you've had a license for in the US will play a role in determining if they will just do an exchange or have start over totally or skip a step or two based on information from the dmv in Ontario.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I don't think that you will because of your name. How long you've had a license for in the US will play a role in determining if they will just do an exchange or have start over totally or skip a step or two based on information from the dmv in Ontario.
I am having it since last three years

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
I don't think that you will because of your name. How long you've had a license will play a role based on information from the dmv in Ontario.
I am having it since last three years
Based on the requirement for Ontario you should be able to exchange your US license. I think they require two years or more for you to be able exchange for a G license.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Different states have different agreements with different provinces. For instance for New York state, Ontario can access driving records online, whereas for AZ they can't. Printouts aren't accepted so you have to request it by mail, or show up in person for some states, it all depends on which state and which province your specific situation calls for.

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
@DEEPCUR,On a lighter note, my state's been moving towards Sunday alcohol sales recently after years of "controversy" and I've joked that as soon as we leave they'll pass it. We're leaving the state Feb 28 and Sunday alcohol sales are likely to start March 4, so yes, the first Sunday after we leave! :p:D I'm cracking up!
Sunday alcohol sales!?!?? WHAT! The horror!!!! :eek:

Seriously. I think it's both hilarious and incredibly annoying that they still do the Sunday alcohol thing. It's similar here in TX. I think in Austin it's that we can't buy alcohol on Sunday mornings because, well I don't know... It makes no sense.

@JERiv, that stinks to have to wait but at least you're all landed and ready to go as soon as the rest works out!
True. Thanks. :)

We're working very hard to move. The thing in Florida gave us even more motivation. Since the BC job fell through, we've widened our search from just BC to also include the Greater Toronto Area and Ottawa. We're hopeful. I'm guessing that by the time we finally get there we'll have been looking in every single province/territory. :D

We'll see what happens. :)

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
@DEEPCUR, I would think as long as you can get the proper history like us you'll be fine.

My update is that my husband came home with the printed history. The manager wouldn't sign it and the print quality sucks BUT the paper is plasticky and shiny like receipt paper, curls oddly (in from each side instead of at the top and bottom), and the cover page (certifying it's original and with a crappy digital "signature" of whoever's in charge of the state's BMV) is a good two inches shorter than the other pages, so it's pretty clearly not from a home printer. We're feeling a lot more hopeful about it given all of that. He'll also bring his old licenses when we go to exchange our current ones to cover more bases.

On a lighter note, my state's been moving towards Sunday alcohol sales recently after years of "controversy" and I've joked that as soon as we leave they'll pass it. We're leaving the state Feb 28 and Sunday alcohol sales are likely to start March 4, so yes, the first Sunday after we leave! :p:D I'm cracking up!

Based on my experience, they will consider that "different" enough from a personal printer. Mine seriously looked like I could have done it except for the logo.

Reactions: moose17

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
Sunday alcohol sales!?!?? WHAT! The horror!!!! :eek:

Seriously. I think it's both hilarious and incredibly annoying that they still do the Sunday alcohol thing. It's similar here in TX. I think in Austin it's that we can't buy alcohol on Sunday mornings because, well I don't know... It makes no sense.

True. Thanks. :)

We're working very hard to move. The thing in Florida gave us even more motivation. Since the BC job fell through, we've widened our search from just BC to also include the Greater Toronto Area and Ottawa. We're hopeful. I'm guessing that by the time we finally get there we'll have been looking in every single province/territory. :D

We'll see what happens. :)
Perhaps we'll see you at a Toronto meetup

Reactions: JERiv and moose17

hammam

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Can you please help me with document translation.

Can my friend translate the documents and then do affidavit?

If yes, what is an affidavit and how to do it?

Thanks