+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
What was the process?
get a driver's history from your current state - not printed or purchased from internet. bring license and passport. fill out a form, take a 1 line eye test plus peripheral vision test. pay them. all done.

I went to Downsview, so I had an appointment time. I'd say it was definitely under 15 minutes.

vincentp84

Feb 15, 2018
Central Florida
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
09-02-2018
Hello everyone,

I am glad to see we are not the only ones doing this. My wife and our 3 kids are starting this process with the plan on moving from Florida to Ottawa.

Currently I have filled up the application (score of only 432) so we are waiting on getting an ITA. Here is what I have done so far, please let me know if there is anything that I could do to better prepared?
- copies of all the transcript
- marriage and change of name certificate
- WES equivalency
- FBI police certificate

I am waiting on the ITA to do this:
- Doctor visit
- Signed work reference paper for current employer

Any help of "things I wished I knew" from everyone's experience is greatly appreciated.

also, is anyone planning to go to Ottawa?

Mrs. Kow

Jan 5, 2018
Virginia, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
27/12/2017
AOR Received.
28/12//2017
Med's Done....
05/03/2018
Passport Req..
05-09-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
Hello everyone,

I am glad to see we are not the only ones doing this. My wife and our 3 kids are starting this process with the plan on moving from Florida to Ottawa.

Currently I have filled up the application (score of only 432) so we are waiting on getting an ITA. Here is what I have done so far, please let me know if there is anything that I could do to better prepared?
- copies of all the transcript
- marriage and change of name certificate
- WES equivalency
- FBI police certificate

I am waiting on the ITA to do this:
- Doctor visit
- Signed work reference paper for current employer

Any help of "things I wished I knew" from everyone's experience is greatly appreciated.

also, is anyone planning to go to Ottawa?
We are also considering Ottawa. It sounds like you are really on top of things. One thing I wish I knew earlier on, was how much trouble it would be to get proof of funds letters from each of my banks with the exact info requested by CIC. I managed to get them all in time because I had requested them soon after ITA, but it took several phone calls with managers.

vincentp84

Feb 15, 2018
Central Florida
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
09-02-2018
We are also considering Ottawa. It sounds like you are really on top of things. One thing I wish I knew earlier on, was how much trouble it would be to get proof of funds letters from each of my banks with the exact info requested by CIC. I managed to get them all in time because I had requested them soon after ITA, but it took several phone calls with managers.
I was hoping to use my 401k as proof of fund

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
Printed online statements from my bank(BOA) is all I used.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
My husband's going to try to get a copy of his driving history from the BMV today so he can get a full Ontario license since his current license is less than 2 years old. The state lets you order and print the history online so hopefully they don't give him too much trouble for wanting a copy straight from them. It'll be barrels of fun for him, I'm sure. He does have ALL of his expired licenses going back for years. Is there any chance those might be a decent backup? I did tell him even if the BMV refuses to print the records, at least see if they'll let him print them and bring them in for some sort of stamp or signature.

Our to-do list continues to dwindle. The biggest hold-up right now has been the appraisals on the house. The potential buyer's one was yesterday and I scheduled our personal one for right before it, but the guy doing ours asked to move it because it was raining a ton here at the time. The house looks much better with things where they've been, whereas once I box them up they take up larger spaces and look worse. At least we've been getting out a good amount through craigslist.

A place where I volunteer did a little send-off for me today, and tonight our friends are having a small going-away party with the group my husband and them volunteer with. It doesn't feel real that it's our last full week here. As much as the stress of moving (and our awful, AWFUL potential buyers :mad:) sucks, it's at least keeping us from getting too emotional.

Reactions: JERiv

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
My husband's going to try to get a copy of his driving history from the BMV today so he can get a full Ontario license since his current license is less than 2 years old. The state lets you order and print the history online so hopefully they don't give him too much trouble for wanting a copy straight from them. It'll be barrels of fun for him, I'm sure. He does have ALL of his expired licenses going back for years. Is there any chance those might be a decent backup? I did tell him even if the BMV refuses to print the records, at least see if they'll let him print them and bring them in for some sort of stamp or signature.

Our to-do list continues to dwindle. The biggest hold-up right now has been the appraisals on the house. The potential buyer's one was yesterday and I scheduled our personal one for right before it, but the guy doing ours asked to move it because it was raining a ton here at the time. The house looks much better with things where they've been, whereas once I box them up they take up larger spaces and look worse. At least we've been getting out a good amount through craigslist.

A place where I volunteer did a little send-off for me today, and tonight our friends are having a small going-away party with the group my husband and them volunteer with. It doesn't feel real that it's our last full week here. As much as the stress of moving (and our awful, AWFUL potential buyers :mad:) sucks, it's at least keeping us from getting too emotional.
Hey, you're almost there! So that's a lot to celebrate!!! :)

Our own move has been postponed due to job. So we're way behind at this time. It really sucks when you're almost there, but then have to put everything on pause. :(

But that's life. Hopefully things will work out in the near future. :)

clguy

Apr 7, 2017

Go into your local DMV and order a full history driving abstract. If he held licenses in other states go to those states DMV websites and look for information on how to order full history driving abstracts. They might not be able to print it out at the local DMV level so the sooner you do it the better.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Go into your local DMV and order a full history driving abstract. If he held licenses in other states go to those states DMV websites and look for information on how to order full history driving abstracts. They might not be able to print it out at the local DMV level so the sooner you do it the better.
He's only been licensed in one state and they were like "if you order it from us it's the exact same as printing it yourself and we have no stamps or anything to put on it either way". #&$)# Trying to figure this out . . . we can't have him unable to drive alone for months until he hits 24 months past his last license renewal here. He's the one of us most likely to get a job where he'd need to drive to get there.

edit: it's easy enough to get a history but I thought someone said theirs needed to be a hard copy from the BMV/DMV and not an online printout. The one we'd get here does cost $4 and is some official thing though so idk (http://www.in.gov/bmv/2489.htm). We're just kind of (to put it lightly) freaked out at the thought of him being unable to drive alone until September.

Last edited:

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
He's only been licensed in one state and they were like "if you order it it's the exact same as printing it and we have no stamps or anything to put on it either way". #&$)# Trying to figure this out . . . we can't have him unable to drive alone for months until he hits 24 months past his last license renewal here. He's the one of us most likely to get a job where he'd need to drive to get there.

edit: it's easy enough to get a history but I thought someone said theirs needed to be a hard copy from the BMV/DMV and not an online printout. The one we'd get here does cost $4 and is some official thing though so idk. We're just kind of (to put it lightly) freaked out at the thought of him being unable to drive alone until September.
Has he been licensed to drive in the US for more than two years?