+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Did you provide US insurance and driving history while getting the quote?
Yeah, that was included.

@lampbreaker, that's what I figured. The guy at Sonnet was very helpful and also advised catching cheaper prices on them in the summer. We also may end up choosing those tires that function as both winter and year-round tires. They'd be more expensive but save us on storage and changing them (can't do either where we'll be living), but that decision will also depend on what our commutes are like since I've read they're not quite as good as dedicated winter tires.

MattyTj

Mar 7, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering how hard the test is for someone who was born and raised in the US and has bachelor degree? We are currently sitting at 431 pts and my wife is going to take that test in NY to help us bring our score over the minimum currently (442). If she gets the highest in all sections it would give us an additional 20pts which would be awesome.
As a result I was wondering how complex the test is and how much practice she should do?
I’m a native speaker and did a lot of practice. Like some others have said, it’s fairly easy for native speakers to do ok on the IELTS but if you want maximum points, you must practice and study. Half of taking a test is knowing the test. I used a guide I believe from Kaplan that I bought on Amazon Prime for around $20. I like that it had like 10 listening practice tests as that was the section I was most worried about. The next worrisome section was writing and learning a good format was essential. Because scores don’t seem to be coming down (stuck in the low 440s), it is important to max out your language points. Best of luck!!!

Reactions: JERiv and moose17

lakers17

Jul 20, 2017
Any advice on would be great.
My situation: I received a passport request this week. Our medicals were done in August 17. So based on the information I read, I need to visit Canada before Aug 18 after i receive my COPR.
My wife is applying for US H1 VISA and as per the attorney recommendation, she should not travel till October 18. We intend to move to Canada next year.
1. Can I request an extension to COPR in any way ?
2. Can only the primary applicant travel before the deadline , or the all the members need to travel?
3. What happens if I do not travel before the deadline ? If in future I decide to apply again, will it be an issue ?

Cosi1985

Jul 8, 2017
Any advice on would be great.
My situation: I received a passport request this week. Our medicals were done in August 17. So based on the information I read, I need to visit Canada before Aug 18 after i receive my COPR.
My wife is applying for US H1 VISA and as per the attorney recommendation, she should not travel till October 18. We intend to move to Canada next year.
1. Can I request an extension to COPR in any way ? No you cannot. Once you receive the COPR it states clearly that it cannot be extended for any reason.

2. Can only the primary applicant travel before the deadline , or the all the members need to travel? Primary can go first, but others cant go before Primary. All must travel by deadline though.

3. What happens if I do not travel before the deadline ? If in future I decide to apply again, will it be an issue ?
Not sure about future but if you do not travel by the deadline, I believe it may be seen as a forfeit. The letter says if you decide not to immigrate you have to return the COPR.

Cosi1985

Jul 8, 2017
Sorry... my answers to 1 and 2 are embedded in ur post- so I reposted below.
1. No you cant get an extension.
2. Primary applicant can go first, others cannot go before primary but all must land by date on COPR

lakers17

Jul 20, 2017
Sorry... my answers to 1 and 2 are embedded in ur post- so I reposted below.
1. No you cant get an extension.
2. Primary applicant can go first, others cannot go before primary but all must land by date on COPR
Thanks for the information. Its a tricky situation as I do not want to jeopardize my US VISA as well

Ang&Guille

Nov 28, 2017
For a 2016 Mazda CX-5, we were quoted about 120/month originally but went up to 150/month after they accounted for the supposed lack of winter tires. I just called Sonnet though (about tenants insurance actually, their site didn't like us putting in US address for our current address) and asked about it while on the line with them and they said just say we have the tires even if we don't yet, as long as we intend to because like you said, there's no actual check on it and we do plan to get them, we're just not arriving at the time of year for it. For what it's worth, we quoted it with a North York code and it being in an underground garage.
Hi Moose17, My wife and I are planning on taking our 2016 Mazda CX-5 with us to do soft landing in April and then come back to Minnesota for 3 months. I would like to keep in contact with you if possible so you can share some light on the process to import/export the vehicule, would that be possible? Thanks!

Ang&Guille

Nov 28, 2017
If you happen to get into an accident and they find that you didn't have winter tires, they can reject the claim. But if you plan to install them ASAP, it should be ok.
So, it is a MUST to install winter tires? We live in Minneapolis and we have the original ALL WEATHER tires and have not have any issue.

Thanks!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@Ang&Guille, sure! I can keep you updated on how the import goes with it. I'm crossing my fingers for only needing to add the front license plate holder, but we'll see. Process-wise, I've been using these two threads to sort it out:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/steps-to-export-the-vehicle-from-usa-to-canada.528187/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-importing-vehicle-us-to-canada-only.415713/
I used autoexports.us as a broker. I could have done that part myself but it was totally worth having them deal with most of it. I've emailed the US CBP export office with the ITN and VIN now and need to get the documents autoexports.us says I need at that side of the border together, but I'm kind of burning out on red tape right now haha. I also had to email the recall clearance to the Canadian side but am waiting on that to get confirmed as good to go.

I believe a claim would only be denied due to those tires if you'd had your insurance quoted based on having them and then didn't use them, then had an accident. The difference in premiums was pretty significant.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@Ang&Guille, sure! I can keep you updated on how the import goes with it. I'm crossing my fingers for only needing to add the front license plate holder, but we'll see. Process-wise, I've been using these two threads to sort it out:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/steps-to-export-the-vehicle-from-usa-to-canada.528187/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-importing-vehicle-us-to-canada-only.415713/
I used autoexports.us as a broker. I could have done that part myself but it was totally worth having them deal with most of it. I've emailed the US CBP export office with the ITN and VIN now and need to get the documents autoexports.us says I need at that side of the border together, but I'm kind of burning out on red tape right now haha. I also had to email the recall clearance to the Canadian side but am waiting on that to get confirmed as good to go.

I believe a claim would only be denied due to those tires if you'd had your insurance quoted based on having them and then didn't use them, then had an accident. The difference in premiums was pretty significant.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Hi Moose17, My wife and I are planning on taking our 2016 Mazda CX-5 with us to do soft landing in April and then come back to Minnesota for 3 months. I would like to keep in contact with you if possible so you can share some light on the process to import/export the vehicule, would that be possible? Thanks!
Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan. :) Hope your soft landing goes fine.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017

For the winter tires thing, I believe a claim would only be denied due to those tires if you'd had your insurance quoted based on having them and then didn't use them, then had an accident. The difference in premiums was pretty significant.

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks for the information. Its a tricky situation as I do not want to jeopardize my US VISA as well
If you ultimately want to move to CAN why jeopardize the chances of missing out on the PR that's been granted to you. Many people try so hard and have been waiting for ages and still don't get the PR. You have got it and are risking the chances of missing out on it because you want to squeeze your H1B time. Just saying because I am in same boat and not having my wife go through the H1B process (plus the uncertainty of lottery)...I guess you very well know the scene. I know everyone's situation is different but just don't want you to take the PR lightly for whatever reasons. I hope you make wise choices. Good Luck!

Reactions: vincentp84

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Lol, you are writing on water. Your wife's H1b needs to be selected through lottery first. Next it should get approved. RFEs and denials are crazy these days.

Assuming your wife's H1b gets picked in lottery, you have couple of options here:

1) Hope for your passports to be returned before April 1, and you could take your trip by then.

2) Have your attorney filed the case as consular processing. If her H1 sponsor is legit employer, they would have no problems doing this. There is no restriction to travel when H1b is pending if this route is taken. Once the H1 is approved, she needs to get stamping from home country and come back. If the sponsor is desi consultant, they won't agree to this option and if that is going to be the case the petition approval chances are close to 0.

3) Have the petition filed as change of status and wait for the result. If the petition doesn't make through the lottery, you are all good and can travel before August. Results are known by May. If it gets picked, you can still go out and come back. There are no risks to the actual petition doing this except that she needs to go through consular mode to get her H1 activated. Only change of status would be considered as abandoned, not the actual H1 application itself. There is zero risk in doing this too. As I mentioned earlier, if the employer is legit there should be no problems in having someone go for stamping first time.

With no green card in sight, honestly H1b has no future. USCIS is getting very strict about employer-client model and getting a contract has become a huge huge challenge. I am not sure what could be done even with a successful H1 outcome with so much uncertainties involved in getting a project.

Reactions: Lovely_Wings