+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

Mar 17, 2018
Hi Everyone,
wanted to know if we need to get FBI clearance certificate for a 4 month kid.. I checked forum and found a very old post where it was mentioned that we need it only for people more than 18 years so i should not need a certificate for my son. But wanted to confirm.

Can anyone please check and confirm?
you don't need FBI clearance for 4 months old. When I added my 2 months old child to the application, the documents that CIC asked were her passport, medical and receipt of adding dependent fee.
Gud luck

Ang&Guille

Nov 28, 2017
That's ridiculous thing to do for PR card. I don't know why Detroit Windsor border keep insisting on having 'own' Canadian address for PR. I landed at the same border and they said the same thing to me. Getting US address is as good as bit getting anything. They won't send PR cards to non Canadian address.

Call cic and update it. Online form doesn't work too. This is the number to call from US.. *67 6139444000. *67 is to mask your caller identification, otherwise it'd disconnect US numbers.
Hi Guys,

So I just called the number DEEPCUR provide and it works perfectly from the US. It took me almost an hour on the phone waiting for an agent but once I was connected to one it was easy and smooth. I was able to change my address and she confirmed that it should take about 57 days after landing to receive them in the mail.

Thanks for your help DEEPCUR.

denzrambo

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
22-08-2018
Hi Guys, I received my ITA on May 9th and gearing up with the documents. I had submitted my Indian passport to Washington DC embassy for Indian PCC.
1) Do you know how long it takes ?
2) Can I go ahead for Medicals without original Passport ?
3) While filling the details for my son(minor), there was a place to specify family members not specified in the application. Do I need to provide parents details here (me and my wife) ?

TYI !!
1) 2 weeks
2)No they would require you're passport
3) yes please provide details of family members

Ang&Guille

Nov 28, 2017
ONTARIO OHIP (HEALTH INSURANCE) 3 MONTHS GAP

Hi guys,

We will be moving for good in August and since we were living Ontario to come back to the US we will not comply with the minimum stay in Ontario to qualify for Health Insurance. We were thinking on signing up to OHIP in April and come back to the US for the 3 months that it will not work but it is not that easy.

We are going to have to get a private insurance for the first 3 months. Anyone have ideas of a good one? Any experiences?

Is it true that if we sign in for OHIP even in the last day of the month it the 3 month waiting period will include whole month? Meaning if we sign up on August 20 then OHIP will start working November 1st. Is this true?

Thanks!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
ONTARIO OHIP (HEALTH INSURANCE) 3 MONTHS GAP

Hi guys,

We will be moving for good in August and since we were living Ontario to come back to the US we will not comply with the minimum stay in Ontario to qualify for Health Insurance. We were thinking on signing up to OHIP in April and come back to the US for the 3 months that it will not work but it is not that easy.

We are going to have to get a private insurance for the first 3 months. Anyone have ideas of a good one? Any experiences?

Is it true that if we sign in for OHIP even in the last day of the month it the 3 month waiting period will include whole month? Meaning if we sign up on August 20 then OHIP will start working November 1st. Is this true?

Thanks!
You have to be in Ontario for 90 days to get OHIP regardless of the day of the month or anything else. You can get temporary insurance that will cover emergencies, and, if you pay more, some pre-existing conditions. We used this site to find plans and chose Destination Canada with $0 deductible and the maximum plan limit of $300,000 just to be safe: https://arbetovinsurance.com/new-immigrants-canada-insurance/

So far we've found care to be cheap. One walk-in I went to was $100 but another is only $60 and both have good doctors. We haven't submitted claims for reimbursement yet (we have to drive to go use a printer for the forms) but as those are cheaper than we'd pay for an appointment in the US with insurance, we won't be too upset if they get denied for some reason. Medications have also been very cheap, and we're just using our US HSA account to pay for it all anyway.

Another consideration depending on your situation is COBRA if your insurance prior to leaving the US was through an employer. It's very expensive as an option but it's good to be ready to use it in case of something truly catastrophic that might push the payment limits of the temporary insurance plans. You have 60 days after leaving your employer or that insurance ending (not sure which since ours were the same day) to opt in so if you're in that situation, keep the forms your employer sends out handy so you can submit them and back payments on the monthly premiums if someone in your family has something terrible like a stroke or extremely bad accident happen.

Ang&Guille

Nov 28, 2017
You have to be in Ontario for 90 days to get OHIP regardless of the day of the month or anything else. You can get temporary insurance that will cover emergencies, and, if you pay more, some pre-existing conditions. We used this site to find plans and chose Destination Canada with $0 deductible and the maximum plan limit of $300,000 just to be safe: https://arbetovinsurance.com/new-immigrants-canada-insurance/

So far we've found care to be cheap. One walk-in I went to was $100 but another is only $60 and both have good doctors. We haven't submitted claims for reimbursement yet (we have to drive to go use a printer for the forms) but as those are cheaper than we'd pay for an appointment in the US with insurance, we won't be too upset if they get denied for some reason. Medications have also been very cheap, and we're just using our US HSA account to pay for it all anyway.

Another consideration depending on your situation is COBRA if your insurance prior to leaving the US was through an employer. It's very expensive as an option but it's good to be ready to use it in case of something truly catastrophic that might push the payment limits of the temporary insurance plans. You have 60 days after leaving your employer or that insurance ending (not sure which since ours were the same day) to opt in so if you're in that situation, keep the forms your employer sends out handy so you can submit them and back payments on the monthly premiums if someone in your family has something terrible like a stroke or extremely bad accident happen.
Thanks for your response. I would take a look at the link. My wife will be transfer to the office in Toronto, so I do not know how that would work. Our health insurance here now is Cigna.

You brought another really good point. We have an HSA here that we never use. Do you know if we can use it to buy the health insurance for the 3 months, and any deductible if needed while in Canada and before OHIP starts working for us?

Thanks for your insight regarding this.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
anybody who is from India and is in USA now... can you please help me with following queries regarding PCC from India consulate:

Do we need 3 separate money orders?
1 for $20 for return mail, 1 for $2 ICWF, 1 for $25 fee

Are the money orders from walmart valid, because those are printed without any details, so i have to write “Consulate General of India” by hand…Please suggest.

To whom the courier should be addressed, any department which handles PCC or just to Consulate?

Do I need to send Old passport photocopy or just Current passport (original and copy)?

denzrambo

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
22-08-2018
anybody who is from India and is in USA now... can you please help me with following queries regarding PCC from India consulate:

Are the money orders from walmart valid, because those are printed without any details, so i have to write “Consulate General of India” by hand…Please suggest.

To whom the courier should be addressed, any department which handles PCC or just to Consulate?

Do I need to send Old passport photocopy or just Current passport (original and copy)?
No you can add all the amount and get money order from usps or any other place.Just send the recent passport

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017

Take money order for $27. For return mail you have to pay to the Mail carrier like USPS, UPS etc. They will include the return mail envelope while sending the mail to Indian Embassy

I took the money order from USPS and wrote down the details by pen.

Google search for Indian Embassy SFO and you can find the address there

Only Curren Passport ORIGINAL needs to be sent

Reactions: desmat

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Take money order for $27. For return mail you have to pay to the Mail carrier like USPS, UPS etc. They will include the return mail envelope while sending the mail to Indian Embassy

I took the money order from USPS and wrote down the details by pen.

Google search for Indian Embassy SFO and you can find the address there

Only Curren Passport ORIGINAL needs to be sent
Thanks...perhaps you did it long time ago or it's different in SFO....because now they have asked to send $20 money order for return mail and told not to send prepaid envelope or label.....
Anyways thanks..

Edit:
I verified SFO page....seems they ask notarized copies too but Houston consulate has not ask notarized copies ...
Can anyone please suggest who did it from Houston?

Last edited:

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for your response. I would take a look at the link. My wife will be transfer to the office in Toronto, so I do not know how that would work. Our health insurance here now is Cigna.

You brought another really good point. We have an HSA here that we never use. Do you know if we can use it to buy the health insurance for the 3 months, and any deductible if needed while in Canada and before OHIP starts working for us?

Thanks for your insight regarding this.
I don't know if you can use it to buy the temp insurance. We didn't have enough in the account to cover it so didn't try, and now we're just using it to pay for doctor's visits and prescriptions. I'm assuming that whatever it could be used for in the US applies here so we'll use it up the best we can with time. I'm not at all sure that's kosher since we'll get some reimbursements while on our temp insurance (the one we're not even submitting a claim for was a visit for me where I went for a covered reason of a sinus infection and a non-covered reason of needing a prescription rewritten), but I hate that stupid account and high-deductible plan system we were stuck in for years so I rebel by refusing to think too hard about it lol.

June 1 is our magical OHIP day so we're almost past this being an issue :D Then in about 3 months we'll have prescription coverage through my husband's new job.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Thanks...perhaps you did it long time ago or it's different in SFO....because now they have asked to send $20 money order for return mail and told not to send prepaid envelope or label.....
Anyways thanks..

Edit:
I verified SFO page....seems they ask notarized copies too but Houston consulate has not ask notarized copies ...
Can anyone please suggest who did it from Houston?
I did it last week and no where in their website have they mentioned that you need to send them a money order for $20 in order for them to return the package. Can you provide the snippet of where you looked that piece.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
I did it last week and no where in their website have they mentioned that you need to send them a money order for $20 in order for them to return the package. Can you provide the snippet of where you looked that piece.
I think i was not clear.. i was talking about PCC from Houston consulate... perhaps SFO consulate has different requirements..

mac315

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi Guys, I am from India but working in US for last 5 years. I have worked for the same employer in India and then moved to US and worked for 2 different clients in US (in two different states) still with the same employer. Do I need to categorize as seperate employment and seek 3 Employee reference letters ?
Option 1) Employer ABC location India, Employer ABC location XXX USA, Employer ABC location YYY USA
Option 2) Employer ABC location India, Employer ABC location YYY USA
Option 3) Employer ABC location YYY USA