+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent question about RQ

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Hey guys

I just want to understand something
if you have most of your days during the 4 years prior to your application date proven that you were here.. lets say you have a job that you go to daily even if it is an hour a day...

what are the possibilities if RQ in this case?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
It is hard to say. RQ is like a lottery. You never know you can get it by living here all 4 years in 4 years with a full time job and no travel and you may not get it and if you traveled a lot and were unemployed.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have all the paperwork necessary in case you get RQed. There is nothing you can do except for providing what CIC asks for and just wait. They are in charge.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
My neighbors got their citizenship in 8 months. They are from the US. They went to US almost once a month in the last 4 years and no RQ. I knew someone who didn't go anywhere and got RQed...

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
God ... That is so weird really
I am sending my application next month and I am trying to figure out how to avoid that thing

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Don't worry about it. It is not in your control.
Just fill out the application completely and thoroughly. And hope for the best. Also make sure you keep all the necessary paperwork to prove your presence and absence in Canada such as job letter, pay stubs, lease/mortgage, bank statements, boarding passes, notice of assessments, T4s etc for the applicable period.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
It's weird applying from the States, because there is basically no real adjustment at all. You don't learn a new language, you don't learn new manners, no one even knows you're an immigrant unless you tell them. My family lives in Oregon, I'm actually closer geographically to them since I immigrated to Canada than I was the last time I lived in the States. It would be kind of weird if an American immigrant never went home, and it's also kind of pointless for CIC to try and measure their 'commitment' to Canada, since said commitment is basically a matter of moving to Canada and nothing else.

You know, if my wife calls herself a 'Canadian' it reflects a real struggle to learn English and how to live here, whereas for me it's more of a determination to say 'zed' instead of 'z'.

Every time I'm in a group of people and the question of my origin comes up and I have to confess, there's always at least one person who was either born in the States and moved up here, or a Canadian who worked and studied down there, or a couple of older people who have a condo and spend half their time down in Arizona.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Maybe CIC is more lax towards Americans applying for Canadian citizenship since US and Canada are both developed countries and there is not as much motivation say for American citizen to get a Canadian citizenship as say for someone from a developing country. Therefore maybe CIC is more diligent when it comes to citizens of developing countries applying for citizenship in Canada.
Also, US and Canada share a lot of intelligence since both countries are in the Five Eyes intelligence sharing organization. Therefore it is easier to do a background check on someone from US than someone from Kazakhstan.

My wife is American and no one in Canada can tell she is American unless she doesn't know the name of the store or doesn't say 'rezorces' and 'zee' for 'zed';

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Dejaavu said:
Maybe CIC is more lax towards Americans applying for Canadian citizenship since US and Canada are both developed countries and there is not as much motivation say for American citizen to get a Canadian citizenship as say for someone from a developing country. Therefore maybe CIC is more diligent when it comes to citizens of developing countries applying for citizenship in Canada.
Also, US and Canada share a lot of intelligence since both countries are in the Five Eyes intelligence sharing organization. Therefore it is easier to do a background check on someone from US than someone from Kazakhstan.

My wife is American and no one in Canada can tell she is American unless she doesn't know the name of the store or doesn't say 'rezorces' and 'zee' for 'zed';
No, you are wrong. Many Americans are having a hard time. Especially interracial couples and South Asian-Americans. Their citizenship apps are scrutinized. Many here got RQ.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Dejaavu said:
This is what I'm talking about -- I literally cannot think of two countries that are as similar as the U.S. and English Canada. Maybe San Marino and Italy . . . for one to become the other is basically a matter of moving. There are deep differences in things like the government, but it takes a long time to see them and they don't really affect normal life.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
on-hold said:
This is what I'm talking about -- I literally cannot think of two countries that are as similar as the U.S. and English Canada. Maybe San Marino and Italy . . . for one to become the other is basically a matter of moving. There are deep differences in things like the government, but it takes a long time to see them and they don't really affect normal life.
You don't seem to understand Canadian society. There are "deep differences" in culture. Here Canadian attitudes towards immigrants are bordering on contempt. I could immediately learn I was in Canada when I had first arrived here. I was shocked at how rude people are here. Some of them were like savages.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I have lived in the US for over 8 years and about 4 years in Canada. There are far more similarities between Canada and US than differences. Probably Austria and Germany are close as Canada and US.

It is hard to generalize but for the most part and US and Canada are almost same country except for flag etc. Canadians though like to point differences more than Americans. That is my impression.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Corazon3,

I think it depends where you live in both countries.

There is anti immigrant sentiment in both countries. I would argue immigrants are more welcome in Canada than in the US. That has been my impression in Toronto.

As for the RQ, it all depends, but I would argue that CIC is more diligent when it comes to citizens of developing countries than developed countries such as US, Western Europe, Japan, Australia etc. Developed countries citizens are not as desperate as developing country citizens to get Canadian citizenship because of visa free travel. Most develop countries' citizens already have passports that allow visa free travel.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
When my wife landed in Canada by changing her status from visitor to permanent resident the IO was saying to all other new immigrants 'You can apply for citizenship in 3 years' and then when he saw my wife's US passport he got amused and said 'you can apply for Canadian citizenship in 3 years if you like'

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Dejaavu said:
When my wife landed in Canada by changing her status from visitor to permanent resident the IO was saying to all other new immigrants 'You can apply for citizenship in 3 years' and then when he saw my wife's US passport he got amused and said 'you can apply for Canadian citizenship in 3 years if you like'
Ha ha ha, he probably said that, because many US citizens who immigrate to Canada are just losers. Come here for health care and other reasons.