+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent question about RQ

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Dejaavu said:
On-hold,

As someone who has lived in the US and married to US citizen and educated in the US, I find it funny how a lot of people make fun of Americans or US and oftentimes it is mainly cos of inferiority complex and I have noticed that in Canada as well.
I think this too -- but the thing to remember is that very few Canadians actually mean it, it's really like the way that Texans and Californians and other regions will twit each other a bit. Nothing to take seriously, and I've found that many Canadians have a very nuanced view of the US.

As someone from the States, I find the US-envy that many people in the world have to be very strange . . . Big countries, small countries, rich and poor, most have something to recommend them.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Dejaavu said:
Corazon3,

I actually asked whether you lived in those countries to make comparisons? :)
As someone who is a dual citizen of both the US and Canada and have lived at least 10 years in EACH country (26 in the US and 13 in Canada), I can honestly say that I mostly agree with Dejaavu and on-hold. When I moved to Canada, there was minimal culture shock. In fact, I found the difference between my home town of NYC and Toronto to be less than NYC and say Texas, even though NYC and Texas are in the same country. When I recently became a Canadian citizen, I surprised people because they had no idea I was NOT Canadian. The US is a huge and diverse country. Some parts of the US have lots of cultural similarities as (english) Canada while other parts, not so much. As for which is the better country... well it depends on what makes you happy.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
keesio said:
As someone who is a dual citizen of both the US and Canada and have lived at least 10 years in EACH country (26 in the US and 13 in Canada), I can honestly say that I mostly agree with Dejaavu and on-hold. When I moved to Canada, there was minimal culture shock. In fact, I found the difference between my home town of NYC and Toronto to be less than NYC and say Texas, even though NYC and Texas are in the same country. When I recently became a Canadian citizen, I surprised people because they had no idea I was NOT Canadian. The US is a huge and diverse country. Some parts of the US have lots of cultural similarities as (english) Canada while other parts, not so much. As for which is the better country... well it depends on what makes you happy.
I think this is the common experience. There are people who do have a bit of culture shock, but I think either they're looking for it, or are unlucky up here and ascribe it to cultural problems instead of luck or whatever specific issue got in their way.