+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT REFUSED

Mac.alvi

Jul 31, 2018
hey guys,

My PGWP application was refused because I applied 10 days after my study permit expired.

I arrived in Canada December of 2012, studied at SFU for over 5 years and graduated this April. In the last 5.5 years I not only studied and paid thousands of dollars in taxes to the government, I also worked here, met hundreds of people and most importantly made my life here. I gave over 5 years to Canada, to be "eligible" to find a career here. And now they want to kick me out because I applied 10 days too late?

Need help. Need advise. This sucks.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You ate the whole cow but couldn't finish the tail!, very sad but unfortunately they are very strict with the rules nowadays.
This is a tricky situation now that might require you to get expert help in the form of a immigration lawyer with experience in such things.
Have you talked to the international office at your Uni? What do they suggest?
You will probably need to restore your study permit if you are still eligible to do that (90 days since expiry), this might require getting admitted to another program. Also you only have 90 days since graduation to apply for PGWP so it gets really complicated. I THINK I have read about people doing everything at once so they can beat the 90 days cut off so restoration/study permit & PGWP.

Depending on what degrees you got there might be other immigration programs open to you or you might have enough points for express entry already so double check that as well.

Reactions: yoZe

Mac.alvi

Jul 31, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

I graduated with a BA in Communications and Publishing.

I now have 30 days to prove my case. I booked an appointment with an immigration lawyer, didn' get a slot before thursday. I have been calling cic since Friday the 27th. Couldn't speak to a real person yet. I have booked an appointment with SFU's international advisors tomorrow. Let's see what they have to say about.

And yes. Restoring my study permit would have to require me to be admitted to another program. Which I don't think will be possible within the next 30 days.

Could you tell me more about being eligible for express entry?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hey guys,

My PGWP application was refused because I applied 10 days after my study permit expired.

I arrived in Canada December of 2012, studied at SFU for over 5 years and graduated this April. In the last 5.5 years I not only studied and paid thousands of dollars in taxes to the government, I also worked here, met hundreds of people and most importantly made my life here. I gave over 5 years to Canada, to be "eligible" to find a career here. And now they want to kick me out because I applied 10 days too late?

Need help. Need advise. This sucks.
Rules are pretty clear, so I'm not sure why you are surprised.

If you are still within 90 days from graduation, you need to apply together for Restoration as a student and for the PGWP. You do not need to have admittance to another program. You need to pay the $200 Restoration fee, the $150 study permit fee and $255 for the work permit fees.

Mac.alvi

Jul 31, 2018
I am not surprised. I am just disappointed. I think a fresh graduate should be given some time to get their application sorted. Especially, to arrange the application fee, which by no means is a small amount. Especially for people working at minimum wage or even entry level jobs, an extra $250 disposable income in the middle of summer is a lot of money.

I thought, or rather expected, I had 90 days to apply for it. It's obviously my fault that I didn't read the rules and regulations. I am not denying that. But I do think they should be more objective on assessing every candidate and maybe not penalize eligible Canadian resident for applying a few days late?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am not surprised. I am just disappointed. I think a fresh graduate should be given some time to get their application sorted. Especially, to arrange the application fee, which by no means is a small amount. Especially for people working at minimum wage or even entry level jobs, an extra $250 disposable income in the middle of summer is a lot of money.

I thought, or rather expected, I had 90 days to apply for it. It's obviously my fault that I didn't read the rules and regulations. I am not denying that. But I do think they should be more objective on assessing every candidate and maybe not penalize eligible Canadian resident for applying a few days late?
They give you 90 days. It is your responsibility to make sure your status remains valid. You can't ask for an exception to immigration law.

Mac.alvi

Jul 31, 2018
I had 10 days. Recieved my completion letter on may 20th, my permit expired may 30th. And obviously I am someone without any considerable savings, literally living pay cheque to pay cheque, just like 90 pc of other fresh graduates. Towards the end of the month is a pretty hard grind. Applied June 5th. Rejected.

The rule, now that I have digged deeper, states it's either 90 days OR before expiration of a valid permit (which ever comes first!).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had 10 days. Recieved my completion letter on may 20th, my permit expired may 30th. And obviously I am someone without any considerable savings, literally living pay cheque to pay cheque, just like 90 pc of other fresh graduates. Towards the end of the month is a pretty hard grind. Applied June 5th. Rejected.

The rule, now that I have digged deeper, states it's either 90 days OR before expiration of a valid permit (which ever comes first!).
Either way you would need to have done something because you only had legal status to remain in Canada until the 30th of May so that should have been an important date on your calendar. Best of luck.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014

The rules is you need to apply within 90 days from receiving "notification" of completion AND you need to still have a valid study permit when you apply.
While you were still a student you could have more easily gotten a bridging study permit to give you more room.
Now as someone has suggested you might be able to apply for a new study permit even without another LOA, not sure how that would work and the cost also increases significantly.

Guys all these schools run seminars and workshops year round about applying for PGWP and other immigration issues, you should really take advantage of these things while you have the chance.

Mac.alvi

Jul 31, 2018
So, let's say I apply for the restoration of my status, a new study permit and PGWP now, can I continue working while I wait for their decision? Or am I supposed to be unemployed for the next 2/3 months?

FYI, I have discontinued working.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
So, let's say I apply for the restoration of my status, a new study permit and PGWP now, can I continue working while I wait for their decision? Or am I supposed to be unemployed for the next 2/3 months?

You cannot work during restoration. You will need to wait until you get a decision on your application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You currently have no status in Canada and are not allowed to work.

Do you know what the processing time might be?
There is no real set time. Expect a few months.

Ash05

Oct 26, 2018
Wow, This sounds horrible! I applied for my PGWP after expiration of my study permit cause I did not received my credentials. once I got it all cleared I applied within 90 days limit to apply for pgwp but I got refusal so, I re-apply a paper application for pgwp with a letter of explanation before 90 days.

Now,my 90 days are over tomorrow and I do not want to go to school again, should I apply for visitor or study permit with restoration fees or wait till I get answer from CIC which will be roughly 110 days from today?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow, This sounds horrible! I applied for my PGWP after expiration of my study permit cause I did not received my credentials. once I got it all cleared I applied within 90 days limit to apply for pgwp but I got refusal so, I re-apply a paper application for pgwp with a letter of explanation before 90 days.

Now,my 90 days are over tomorrow and I do not want to go to school again, should I apply for visitor or study permit with restoration fees or wait till I get answer from CIC which will be roughly 110 days from today?
You must be holding a valid study permit at the time you apply for a PGWP. If you reapplied without having a valid study permit, then I would certainly reapply before your 90 days is up and include an application to restore your study permit.