Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

So, I got my results for the IELTS General Training yesterday!

Score is:

Reading - 8
Listening - 8.5
Speaking - 9
Writing - 6.5 :(

Problem is as per CRC points calculator with current IELTS score and other parameters my score is around 408!

HOWEVER, if I increase my score in writing section by 0.5 (band 7), CRC points shoots up to 458 !!

Now, I am confused big time. Re-evaluation for IELTS is £60 but takes upto 8 weeks and chances of changing results is negligible as per some online blogs. Taking a new test is expensive (£155) and the next test schedule is in 1st week of April followed by result which usually takes 2 weeks.

Can someone please advice what can I do now??

Also, I need to start the ECA process asap.

Thanks in advance. :)

jideomoba

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunny_Sharma said:
Hi everyone,

Score is:

Reading - 8
Listening - 8.5
Speaking - 9

Problem is as per CRC points calculator with current IELTS score and other parameters my score is around 408!

HOWEVER, if I increase my score in writing section by 0.5 (band 7), CRC points shoots up to 458 !!

Now, I am confused big time. Re-evaluation for IELTS is £60 but takes upto 8 weeks and chances of changing results is negligible as per some online blogs. Taking a new test is expensive (£155) and the next test schedule is in 1st week of April followed by result which usually takes 2 weeks.

In between the devil and the deep blue sea. You can go for re-evaluation if your are convinced that it will give you the score you wanted based of your self-appraisal at the test. On the hand, if you don't have the conviction, go for a new test. Remember though, the new test result may bring its own surprise.

In addition, going by the trend in the last 6 months, 458 may not grant you an ITA.

My 2 kobo. Best of luck mate!

MZASAM

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Please take a decision remarking / reappearing based on info available regarding IELTS result on this forum.

My case

1st appearance result L 8.5 R 7 S 7 W 6.5

2 nd appearance result L 8.5 R 7 S 7 W 6.5 Unbelievable results for me. I started doubting my own competency.

Tried three time. Performed exceedingly well in all the four sections. No success.

I did my masters, 5 years experience with an MNC. Daily interactions with American, British counterparts with includes L R S W

I believe the marking, results, are highly manipulated. IT is not based on performance, merits of all the four sections.

Seems fixed revenue targets.

NO CHOICE FOR ASPIRANTS WHO TARGET BAND 9 THEN TO REAPPEAR TILL THEY ACHIEVE THE DESIRED BANDS.

For missing .5 marks in writing, I lost lot of marks around 62 in Express Entry for Canada PR. My present CRS 432. Imagine 482 I would have.

Hope some top executive reads all these complaints and take necessary actions.

Good luck to all.

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
Writing is clearly the part that's throwing a lot of people off - sadly, there's no way to truly know how you did on it either

I mean, writing and speaking aren't multiple choice segments where you can know for definite if you got something right or wrong - your score largely depends on the assessment of the person marking your paper.

In such an instance, I can't see how a reassessment will help you at all frankly because they can just as well say your score hasn't changed at all and you won't really be able to argue about it either (unlike the other 2 sections where you definitely got a question right or wrong)

My recommendation is to sit for the paper again - yes I know its quite costly but its still less money than the cost of both reassessment and (likely inevitable) another test.

I don't think its worth the cost of reassessment personally

That said, jideomoba is right - even 458 might not be enough to get you an ITA at this point - I would personally wait a few more rounds to see if the score drops significantly - and if it does then you should reapply for the test

coolhyd

Jun 1, 2012
Sunny_Sharma said:
Hi everyone,

Score is:

Reading - 8
Listening - 8.5
Speaking - 9

I would recommend you to retake the test. As the IELTS evaluation process is very standard. The chance of getting a better score in the revaluation is very slim.

458 will not be a bad score. Retake the IELTS and Keep your profile up to date. Remember that you need only one draw to close at 458 or below :)

Good luck.

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
coolhyd said:
I would recommend you to retake the test. As the IELTS evaluation process is very standard. The chance of getting a better score in the revaluation is very slim.

458 will not be a bad score. Retake the IELTS and Keep your profile up to date. Remember that you need only one draw to close at 458 or below :)

Good luck.
IELTS evaluation is definitely not standard!! I had to retake it 3 times in 5 month because this so called standard test evaluated my writing as 7 - 6.5 - 7.5!! and my listening 9 - 7.5 - 8.5!!

coolhyd

Jun 1, 2012
Han said:
IELTS evaluation is definitely not standard!! I had to retake it 3 times in 5 month because this so called standard test evaluated my writing as 7 - 6.5 - 7.5!! and my listening 9 - 7.5 - 8.5!!
Evaluation is standard. It depends on how we do on the tests.

I don't think revaluation will help.

ImmiToCanada

Mar 2, 2014
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-03-2016
CELPIP is only available in Canada, if you have visitor visa and plan to travel to Canada. You can consider this.

You may find some books or tutorial on how to get a high score on IELTS writing and then re-take IELTS. Good luck man~

nerd

Jan 15, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMO 458 is as good (or as bad) as 408 in the current scenario where the CRS cutoff has spiked to 470+ in March. I am at 458 and am having to consider OINP. You can do the same with 408 instead of wasting time with IELTS score improvement which will anyways not help. My 2 cents.

Russian

May 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1st try was L8,5 R9 W6,5 S8
2nd try was L8,5 R9 W7 S7

I read useful books by Mike Wattie and Ryan Higgins. It helped me understand how to write essay for IELTS.

I share the link with very useful materials collected on Google drive

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B19knuFeNz62X2EtU3dQTjk2WU0&usp=docslist_api

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
Sunny_Sharma said:
Hi everyone,

Score is:

Reading - 8
Listening - 8.5
Speaking - 9

I was in the same situation last year, I got L-9.0, R - 8.0, S - 9.0 and then W- 6.5? :eek:
I knew something was fishy from the start, because three of my friends who previously used the same test centre got this random 6.5 score in the writing section, and we are all native English speakers! I immediately requested a re-assessment of my exam and it took 8 weeks, but it was worth it! My new score was 8.0 !!! and I got a refund of the £70 paid for the "re-marking".

From your IELTS scores above, it is obvious that you have excellent English skills, if you are confident in what you wrote in the test, then order a re-assessment. However if you truly doubt your performance in the exam then just re-take the whole thing.

Hope this helps

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
nerd said:
IMO 458 is as good (or as bad) as 408 in the current scenario where the CRS cutoff has spiked to 470+ in March. I am at 458 and am having to consider OINP. You can do the same with 408 instead of wasting time with IELTS score improvement which will anyways not help. My 2 cents.
Emmm..... 458 is not as good (or bad) as 408, I strongly believe the CRS cut-off will go back down later on this year, and IELTS scores DO make a huge difference. If you look at the list of cut-off marks last year you will see that the score can drop to 450 at any time. Furthermore, not everyone can afford CAD $1500 for an OINP application, which may be refused. And from what I have noticed, OINP processing times can be extremely slow; some people who submitted their OINP application in November last year are still waiting for a decision. I personally declined my OINP request.

crimsonautumn

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As there is considerable difference between your writing score and other sections, I would suggest you to give another try at IELTS. From the scores, it looks like you did not know what the examiners would look for in the writing section. If you could prepare couple of days on that front, I would believe you should be able to crack the 7 band score in writing. I would also suggest you to take a look at the writing tips on ieltsliz.com and also have someone take a look at your essays as part of the preparation. May be, write couple of them to see where you could improve.

Akinoluwa

Mar 8, 2016
Hi,

This is exactly the same scenario I found myself in. I got a 6.5 in Writing, my score 400 instead of 458.

What did I do? I submitted for a re-mark the same day I got the TRF. This is the 3rd week.

I have also booked for another test on the 30th of April.

Hopefully, I would get an upward review of my score, and I hope that comes before the new test.

Regards,
Akin