+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upgrading Level of Education (Online Certificate Course)

ohmygoditsdhaval

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
04-02-2017
Dear Seniors,

I think, I have exhausted all my probabilities of increasing my score from 428. The only two options left are either to learn-French and appear for TEF (which is not only tough but would not greatly contribute to my professional working)

and

the last alternative is to complete a Certificate-course and Upgrade my Highest Level of Education from Bachelors Degree (three or more years of University) to 2 or more Certificates, diplomas or degrees (Atleast one should be of 3 years)

I wish to know if I undertake an Online-Certification course in any Canadian University (McGill, UBC or Toronto) would that be acceptable?

Would it be allowed under CIC to qualify online-certificate course to get additional points under CRS???

Guys, please help and reply since I have been looking from pillar to post to increase my Score but looks like this is the only option left. (IELTS-Already at the MAX 8.5 )

Awaiting your valuable feedback,

Regards,

Shah

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think WES or other assessment agencies evaluate online courses. You should probably check their site to see if such a thing is possible.

Check if the chosen course is validated by WES here ---> https://www.wes.org/ca/preliminary/poe.asp

The ECA report must clearly mention that you have done at least a 1 year postgraduate certificate/diploma/degree to enable you to select the '2 or more..' option. Check the ECA requirement here ---> https://www.wes.org/ca/preliminary/poe.asp

For the time being, that's the best you can do short of retaking IELTS to score a perfect 9 on each section thereby getting the highest possible points for language (I don't recommend this). Or increase your work experience and try again next year. Or wait for the PNPs next year. Or hope that Quebec opens up on October 1st, as rumored, and you get a fighting chance there.

All the best!

ohmygoditsdhaval

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
04-02-2017
Asivad Anac said:
I don't think WES or other assessment agencies evaluate online courses. You should probably check their site to see if such a thing is possible.

Check if the chosen course is validated by WES here ---> https://www.wes.org/ca/preliminary/poe.asp

The ECA report must clearly mention that you have done at least a 1 year postgraduate certificate/diploma/degree to enable you to select the '2 or more..' option. Check the ECA requirement here ---> https://www.wes.org/ca/preliminary/poe.asp
Dear Asivad,
I was praying to get a reply from you. Thanks for it mate.

However, I had already tried checking at the WES websites, but they don't have an option of selecting Canada as country of Education. (Primarily since WES does ECA to establish international education's equivalence with Canadian Education... I guess they may not be evaluating Canadian education)

In such case, where can I check ???
I have also written to all three universities (Toronto, UBC & McGill) to seek a clarity whether their Online courses get qualified with CIC, but none of them have responded back...don't know why...?

Do you have any other suggestion...????
Asivad Anac said:
For the time being, that's the best you can do short of retaking IELTS to score a perfect 9 on each section thereby getting the highest possible points for language (I don't recommend this). Or increase your work experience and try again next year. Or wait for the PNPs next year. Or hope that Quebec opens up on October 1st, as rumored, and you get a fighting chance there.

All the best!
As mentioned by you, even I don't intend to retake IELTS since I have been able to score the max. in all LRWS - 9,9,8,7.5)

Regarding work-experience, Unfortunately I have more than 10 years of relevant work-experience :( so even that is Exhausted....there is nothing that is going to be added on that front.

Infact due to approaching birthday, 5 points would be soon deducted... :(

I am badly in need of PNPs, but OOPNP is not sending me a invite.... (Maybe they dislike my profession - Architect) although ive noticed that lots of others with even low scores have received Invitation from OOPNP.

Don't know about Quebec, but rest all Provinces don't need Architects or they have Local Work-experience/Job offer as a requirement.

Do you have any suggestion for me....I don't want to loose hopes.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
I think your option of online course is very possible.

I did my Master's degree 100% online from a UK university, and WES gave me an ECA report of Canadian Master's degree equivalency.

The question is if your school of choice will issue a certificate or degree recognized by WES. If it is a Canadian institution, its very likely it will be recognized, without ECA.

So I think it's a very possible option, you just need to do some more research before you start (e.g. find out what certificate you would be getting, find out if they will support you with transcript etc after you complete your studies etc.)

Good luck!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try this workaround - check if the WES US site allows you to find a provisional assessment for a Canadian online course.

ohmygoditsdhaval

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
04-02-2017
Asivad Anac said:
Try this workaround - check if the WES US site allows you to find a provisional assessment for a Canadian online course.
Hey Asivad,
Thats what is called Experience. KUDOS to you pal.

Thanks a lot for the wonderful tip. I will surely try doing that.

deepalivg

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
One_Topsy, please help me. I am doing an online Master's degree from CIMA UK. But they are refusing to attest any degree. How can I send documents to ECA in such case?

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^^ Dhaval, did you manage to check if the certificate courses count? Can you send me some information on the courses (duration, cost etc.. ?) specifically, which ones are you considering? This is for a friend, so trying to see if there is any chance for her if we can get a short online certificate course...
My partner did his UK masters online, though it was through a local agency, from a recognized UK university.. and WES recognized it as equivalent to Canadian masters... so I don't see why it should be a problem if its a recognized university.

Reactions: arsalanj

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
deepalivg said:
One_Topsy, please help me. I am doing an online Master's degree from CIMA UK. But they are refusing to attest any degree. How can I send documents to ECA in such case?
How are they refusing to attest to your degree? What you need from them is 2 things;

1 - Your degree certificate when you complete your program. (i expect you will get this surely!)

2 - They should send your transcript to WES when they receive your transcript request form. Most credible institutions i know do not have a problem sending transcripts for their graduates (except of course its a dodgy one).

However, if you're yet to complete your degree, i doubt they will want to send anything now.

Good luck!

ohmygoditsdhaval

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
04-02-2017
EFK said:
^^ Dhaval, did you manage to check if the certificate courses count? Can you send me some information on the courses (duration, cost etc.. ?) specifically, which ones are you considering? This is for a friend, so trying to see if there is any chance for her if we can get a short online certificate course...
My partner did his UK masters online, though it was through a local agency, from a recognized UK university.. and WES recognized it as equivalent to Canadian masters... so I don't see why it should be a problem if its a recognized university.
Hi EFK,

I did check it on WES-US website as ASIVAD suggested, however its quite absurd that the moment you select your country of Education as Canada, there are no options for you to select any certificate course. Its either Bachelors or Masters.

I have no idea where can I get it confirmed.

Yes, you are right, I am also of the opinion that if its done from a recognized organisation it should not be an issue of getting recognized, That's the reason I am planning to get it done from CANADIAN universities itself, so it becomes even easier for them to validate. Also the universities are the best in the country, (UOT, UBC or Mcgill) however I am still not sure about whether I should go ahead with it or not since I need an assurance from somewhere that these certificate-online courses will be accepted by CIC as certificate course.

Didona84

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
I'm resurrecting this old topic, since I have the same problem as the original poster: sitting at 430 points with no chance of increasing this for at least a year (until I finish writing my Masters thesis, defend it and get transcripts from Uni).

From what I understand, it is not necessary to get the WES equivalency for courses done in Canada (even if it's an online course), as long as it's from a recognized institution. It is stated: If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA for that credential.

May 11, 2016
One_Topsy said:

I did my Master's degree 100% online from a UK university, and WES gave me an ECA report of Canadian Master's degree equivalency.

The question is if your school of choice will issue a certificate or degree recognized by WES. If it is a Canadian institution, its very likely it will be recognized, without ECA.

So I think it's a very possible option, you just need to do some more research before you start (e.g. find out what certificate you would be getting, find out if they will support you with transcript etc after you complete your studies etc.)

Good luck!
Hi Can you please share which masters degree you did and from which university?

Any other masters dgree which I can do in short interval of time.

I am stuck at 426 points. :( :( :( :(

srikar138899

Jan 30, 2017
One_Topsy said:

Good luck!
I heard in this forum today that somebody from UK did Online distance learning from USA but got rejected because there was not record of his entry from USA and he could not get police clearance from USA ....

srikar138899

Jan 30, 2017
ohmygoditsdhaval said:
Dear Seniors,

I think, I have exhausted all my probabilities of increasing my score from 428. The only two options left are either to learn-French and appear for TEF (which is not only tough but would not greatly contribute to my professional working)

and

the last alternative is to complete a Certificate-course and Upgrade my Highest Level of Education from Bachelors Degree (three or more years of University) to 2 or more Certificates, diplomas or degrees (Atleast one should be of 3 years)

I wish to know if I undertake an Online-Certification course in any Canadian University (McGill, UBC or Toronto) would that be acceptable?

Would it be allowed under CIC to qualify online-certificate course to get additional points under CRS???

Guys, please help and reply since I have been looking from pillar to post to increase my Score but looks like this is the only option left. (IELTS-Already at the MAX 8.5 )

Awaiting your valuable feedback,

Regards,

Shah
Why would u need a credential evaluation of it is done in Canada ??!I am also new here so it's genuine by doubt too..

srikar138899

Jan 30, 2017
srikar138899 said:
I heard in this forum today that somebody from UK did Online distance learning from USA but got rejected because there was not record of his entry from USA and he could not get police clearance from USA ....
Here is the link
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reasons-for-rejection-faraz-summary-t471670.0.html