+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upgrading Level of Education (Online Certificate Course)

Sathis Kumar

Aug 17, 2017
Hello Shah,

Hope you are doing good. I am exactly in same position now with no chance of increasing my score. Could you please advise whether you did any online degree (or) anything else to improve your score. Appreciate your help on this.

thanks,
Sathis

Dear Seniors,

I think, I have exhausted all my probabilities of increasing my score from 428. The only two options left are either to learn-French and appear for TEF (which is not only tough but would not greatly contribute to my professional working)

and

the last alternative is to complete a Certificate-course and Upgrade my Highest Level of Education from Bachelors Degree (three or more years of University) to 2 or more Certificates, diplomas or degrees (Atleast one should be of 3 years)

I wish to know if I undertake an Online-Certification course in any Canadian University (McGill, UBC or Toronto) would that be acceptable?

Would it be allowed under CIC to qualify online-certificate course to get additional points under CRS???

Guys, please help and reply since I have been looking from pillar to post to increase my Score but looks like this is the only option left. (IELTS-Already at the MAX 8.5 )

Awaiting your valuable feedback,

Regards,

Shah

Sathis Kumar

Aug 17, 2017
Hi,

can you please tell which UK university and course that you did through Online ?. I am looking to do Masters in Online to improve my express entry score.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sathis

I think your option of online course is very possible.

I did my Master's degree 100% online from a UK university, and WES gave me an ECA report of Canadian Master's degree equivalency.

The question is if your school of choice will issue a certificate or degree recognized by WES. If it is a Canadian institution, its very likely it will be recognized, without ECA.

So I think it's a very possible option, you just need to do some more research before you start (e.g. find out what certificate you would be getting, find out if they will support you with transcript etc after you complete your studies etc.)

Good luck!

ohmygoditsdhaval

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
04-02-2017
Hello Shah,

Hope you are doing good. I am exactly in same position now with no chance of increasing my score. Could you please advise whether you did any online degree (or) anything else to improve your score. Appreciate your help on this.

thanks,
Sathis
Hi Sathis,

I know how frustrating is it to be in this condition. I did consider doing 1 year post-graduation courses which i found available in the UK, however luckily I got nominated by OINP and hence my journey started from there.

If your score is above 400, dont loose hope, the cutoffs have been geting steeply lowered sometimes....so keep up the good hope.
all the best.

Shah

Sathis Kumar

Aug 17, 2017
Thanks much Shah. It's great to hear that you got nominated by OINP. I heard that once you nominated by a Province, you can't change it.
Is that a disadvantage or Something which won't affect us much ?.

Sathis.

Hi Sathis,

I know how frustrating is it to be in this condition. I did consider doing 1 year post-graduation courses which i found available in the UK, however luckily I got nominated by OINP and hence my journey started from there.

If your score is above 400, dont loose hope, the cutoffs have been geting steeply lowered sometimes....so keep up the good hope.
all the best.

Shah

ohmygoditsdhaval

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
04-02-2017
Thanks much Shah. It's great to hear that you got nominated by OINP. I heard that once you nominated by a Province, you can't change it.
Is that a disadvantage or Something which won't affect us much ?.

Sathis.
There has been a lot of discussion on this...whether you can leave the province or not...whether you have to stick stay in that province or not... what i could understand from various posts is that you are free to move to any province legally, however, morally you are expected to spend a decent amount of time in the province which made an effort to give you 600 points to enter the country.

legally, noone can challenge you from moving in the country and settling anywhere else.

Sathis Kumar

Aug 17, 2017
There has been a lot of discussion on this...whether you can leave the province or not...whether you have to stick stay in that province or not... what i could understand from various posts is that you are free to move to any province legally, however, morally you are expected to spend a decent amount of time in the province which made an effort to give you 600 points to enter the country.

legally, noone can challenge you from moving in the country and settling anywhere else.
Thanks, I agree with you on the moral binding.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
From what I have found, if you do an online program such as a bachelors or masters, it should be accepted. Certification courses typically aren't it seems-- likely because they're quick and easy to get thus serve no real value (some of these you can literally push play, let the taped-lecture play, walk away and come back later).

That being said, sometimes it's easier to get a second bachelors than one would think because you likely have the general education courses out of the way & only need the courses for the degree topic. It's also usually cheaper than a masters degree.

Sathis Kumar

Aug 17, 2017
From what I have found, if you do an online program such as a bachelors or masters, it should be accepted. Certification courses typically aren't it seems-- likely because they're quick and easy to get thus serve no real value (some of these you can literally push play, let the taped-lecture play, walk away and come back later).

That being said, sometimes it's easier to get a second bachelors than one would think because you likely have the general education courses out of the way & only need the courses for the degree topic. It's also usually cheaper than a masters degree.
Thanks, But I am little confused on your second statement. Usually Bachelors takes 3 years to complete. Is there a way that I take only courses for the degree and reduce the total duration. Each year I spend on education, I will lose around 5 points due to age factor.

What's your thought on PG Diploma in Computer Application (or) Business Management courses 1 year ?. Thanks for your help in this.

Thanks,
Sathis

ktariq

Jan 7, 2018
Hi guys, i new to this forum and looking for urgent help.

i have undergrad degree from UK and completed CPA (Ontario) designation however i am unable to secure extra 50 points under "Certificate of Qualification". Could anyone help me to correctly enter my information under Education tab to secure additional 50 points.

i know its sound dumb :) but i am unable to secure these additional points.

Regards,

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Hello, everyone! I have got CMS Certificate from UBC (mining), so it does not have any value for Express Entry and Canadian employer? I have spent 7k $ for that, it is upsetting. I also have 4 year Bachelor degree and 2 year University Diploma ftom home country. I was hoping all that together could be classified into any Canadian degree
What are your thoughts on that?

Pallavi_118

May 12, 2018
Hi
Can somebody tell if onlime certificate course from canadian univeraity adds value in CRS score ?
If someone has done that , then please help.
Thanks

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Hi
Can somebody tell if onlime certificate course from canadian univeraity adds value in CRS score ?
If someone has done that , then please help.
Thanks
Hello, I have been browing internet and found that unfortunately, on-line Canadian certificate is not counted. See this:
But however, I hope that it counts when:

* You enroll with the bridging program to a Canadian university, or
* You start registration process to become a member of professional society (Professional Engineers Canada, for example).

I hope my Certificate will have any formal benefits for me (apart from knowledge which is valuable itself).

MJLivi

Nov 15, 2018
Dear All,
I am pretty new to this process and I am trying to increase my score from 326. I have a one year diploma in Human Resource Management as well as a one year diploma in General Insurance Studies, done in Jamaica. I started a BSc. in Business Admin a few years back at Northern Caribbean University but didn't complete due to financial difficulties. I have over 10yrs work experience in the insurance industry. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the two diplomas assessed and where? Also, I noticed that WES doesn't assess occupational credentials...does that mean they wont assess the Insurance diploma?

neeraj.ojha

Nov 11, 2018
Hi Experts,

I hold a 4 year Bachelors Degree and 2 year MBA from my home country which is considered equivalent to a 4 year Bachelors and 2 year Masters program in Canada as per WES. I would like to know that in addition to the two degrees already mentioned if I could obtain extra CRS points if I include a 6 month certification namely "Post Graduate Certification" as mentioned in the Degree certificate and obtained online from a reputed institution in my home country. Does WES recognize such an online certification or not?

Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance!

Sen88

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Dear Seniors,

I think, I have exhausted all my probabilities of increasing my score from 428. The only two options left are either to learn-French and appear for TEF (which is not only tough but would not greatly contribute to my professional working)

and

the last alternative is to complete a Certificate-course and Upgrade my Highest Level of Education from Bachelors Degree (three or more years of University) to 2 or more Certificates, diplomas or degrees (Atleast one should be of 3 years)

I wish to know if I undertake an Online-Certification course in any Canadian University (McGill, UBC or Toronto) would that be acceptable?

Would it be allowed under CIC to qualify online-certificate course to get additional points under CRS???

Guys, please help and reply since I have been looking from pillar to post to increase my Score but looks like this is the only option left. (IELTS-Already at the MAX 8.5 )

Awaiting your valuable feedback,

Regards,

Shah
What was your results? Were you able to earn points by studying online from Canadian University?