+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV rejection HELP PLEASE

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
My Thai GF's visa was rejected. 3 reasons - travel history, family ties, purpose of visit

Travel history - her only travels have been to Korea, Singapore and Indonesia. Is that not good enough? I would have thought Korea and Singapore would be considered "sufficiently desirable"

Family ties: she has no family ties in Canada, all her ties are in Thailand (her parents are elderly and she supports them).

Purpose of visit: we selected "tourism" Is this wrong? SHould it be visit? Really don't get this. She is coming to Canada for a 2 WEEK vacation!!!

The thing about my GF is that she has a good job, owns her own home and 2 other properties, has her own car, no debt, she is totally self-sufficient. Because of this I did not include any of my own financial statements because I am not supporting her. So I feel its irrelevant. Was this a mistake?

In other words she has nothing to gain by staying in Canada, but rather has a lot to lose (she would lose her job, her financial independence, her family, she would have no right to work in canada).

She also has a return flight ticket - I assume it was appropriate to include this?

Comments/suggestions please?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
These are all pretty generic reasons, which means the officer believed her profile as a whole wasn’t convincing.

Travel history: All regional. Short visits to visa-required countries outside Asia (US, Australia, UK, Europe, etc.) is what they’re looking for.

What documents for her finances, assets, or job did she show?

Flight tickets, even fully paid, are not considered as proof of return.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I suspect the key reason why she was refused was because you stated you're in a relationship with her. This might lead the visa officers to believe that she is a potential overstayer who might possibly apply for a PR via the inland route

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
These are all pretty generic reasons, which means the officer believed her profile as a whole wasn’t convincing.

Travel history: All regional. Short visits to visa-required countries outside Asia (US, Australia, UK, Europe, etc.) is what they’re looking for.

What documents for her finances, assets, or job did she show?

Flight tickets, even fully paid, are not considered as proof of return.
Her bank statement (11k cad), she owns 3 properties, so I included the title deeds although they are in Thai. Also she has a good job, good salary, so included a letter from employer that conf

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
I suspect the key reason why she was refused was because you stated you're in a relationship with her. This might lead the visa officers to believe that she is a potential overstayer who might possibly apply for a PR via the inland route
Yes but am I supposed to hide this? Afterall I did the invitation letter. She has a good standard of living in Thailand and would have no legal right to work in Canada, not to mention her lack of English would disqualify her from good jobs

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
She has absolutely no intention of staying, how can I convince them of that. One idea is to offer a guarantee secured by my home (1m equity), that would obviously demonstrate I am 1000% sure she was going back. I realize they won't accept it but just the fact I make the offer should say something?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes but am I supposed to hide this? Afterall I did the invitation letter. She has a good standard of living in Thailand and would have no legal right to work in Canada, not to mention her lack of English would disqualify her from good jobs
At some point in time, you would probably take this relationship to the next level.... and, either you would move to Thailand or she could move to Canada, right?

Your invitation letter and the evidence that this is a serious relationship has possibly lead the visa officers (three successive applications) to believe she will overstay even if it does not mean applying for PR immediately.

She has absolutely no intention of staying, how can I convince them of that. One idea is to offer a guarantee secured by my home (1m equity), that would obviously demonstrate I am 1000% sure she was going back. I realize they won't accept it but just the fact I make the offer should say something?
This will not work and is not asked by IRCC.

Unfortunately, the damage has been done. Applying in quick succession only reiterates that she is 'desperate' to visit.

The only way, IMO, to minimize the effects is to take a break from reapplying.... order GCMS notes (which might confirm that your relationship is the key reason for the refusals).... and then take it from there by preparing a more solid application

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
At some point in time, you would probably take this relationship to the next level.... and, either you would move to Thailand or she could move to Canada, right?

Your invitation letter and the evidence that this is a serious relationship has possibly lead the visa officers (three successive applications) to believe she will overstay even if it does not mean applying for PR immediately.

This will not work and is not asked by IRCC.

Unfortunately, the damage has been done. Applying in quick succession only reiterates that she is 'desperate' to visit.

The only way, IMO, to minimize the effects is to take a break from reapplying.... order GCMS notes (which might confirm that your relationship is the key reason for the refusals).... and then take it from there by preparing a more solid application
She has only applied once.
We both have family ties that make it impossible for either to move to the other country, so it's a long distant relationship for the foreseeable future.

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
We both have family ties that make it impossible for either to move to the other country, so it's a long distant relationship for the foreseeable future.
I am already planning a trip later this year to see her in thailand

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My bad. Sorry about that

1. Do post the list of documents that she had submitted

2. Did your invitation letter state anything to the effect of 'wanting to spend time together', 'miss each other', etc?

3. When are you likely to visit Thailand again?

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
My bad. Sorry about that

1. Do post the list of documents that she had submitted

2. Did your invitation letter state anything to the effect of 'wanting to spend time together', 'miss each other', etc?

3. When are you likely to visit Thailand again?
1.Bank statement, employer letter, invitation, property (3) title deeds, return air ticket, plus the required forms
2. No nothing like that, but stayed that she is not dependent on me for anything, she paid for flight, she has her own spending money
3. Oct-nov .(I am here now)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She needs to show proof that she will be returning to Thailand. It is pretty early but proof of your Thailand plans would be something that would prove she isn't planning on staying. Does she have some commitments that would show she is going to be in Thailand after her visit.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1.Bank statement, employer letter, invitation, property (3) title deeds, return air ticket, plus the required forms
2. No nothing like that, but stayed that she is not dependent on me for anything, she paid for flight, she has her own spending money
3. Oct-nov .(I am here now)
You might get some pointers here.... based on which you could then post the documents for her reapplication:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-for-spouse.559329/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/visitor-visa-for-my-wife.514908/

IMO, her strong ties to Thailand are:
1. Her employment: But the documents for her previous application don't prove this

2. Her good financial situation: No evidence of financial investments, pension funds, credit cards, etc.

3. Her dependent parents: No evidence of this

4. Her property ownership: Rented out? Rent agreement? Mortgage?

5. Car: Loan? Loan repayments, if yes?

6. Any compelling personal or professional commitments that necessitate she must return to Thailand after the short visit? Or maybe you have planned a holiday together to another country?

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
1. I thought her employment letter was very good. Confirmed salary, position (head accountant), length of service (6 yrs), authorization for absence and a statement saying the date she is expected back. I don't see how it could be any better.
2. I included a bank statement and title deeds to her properties (in Thai though). She has NO debt. I did not include credit cards statements (she has two and she pays the balance in full). The 3 properties are worth about $200,000 CAD, no mortgages.
3. her parents are elderly - there is no formal arrangement for her support - she just gives them a little cash from time to time.
4. one property is her residence (condo in Bangkok), one property is where her parents reside, the other is a house that she rents out.
5. yes car, fully paid for, value about $20k
6. no, however I have started to make plans to visit her again later this year (obviously I would not be doing this if she was intending to stay in Canada)

Also I didn't get anything notarized. Is this a problem?

Quite frankly, over-staying would be extremely foolish, she has nothing to gain and everything to lose. She would lose her job and have no legal right to work in Canada. She would also be forfeiting the chance of getting subsequent visas (I assume this is the case, I would certainly hope so). And also I assume that overstaying would make getting PR much more difficult?