+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for baby born outside Canada with parents having PR

dnarana

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Hi

I would like to request your suggestion for my case
I and my husband finished our landing and got pr cards . I have left to India for delivery now my son is 1 year old while my husband moved to regina last june and he is employed where he offers inspection services on project based . We have decent savings for sponsorinf our son . Now my confusion is can i apply for PR for my son and mean while get TRV and go to canada or first apply TRV

Hope you can guide us Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I and my husband finished our landing and got pr cards . I have left to India for delivery now my son is 1 year old while my husband moved to regina last june and he is employed where he offers inspection services on project based . We have decent savings for sponsorinf our son . Now my confusion is can i apply for PR for my son and mean while get TRV and go to canada or first apply TRV

Your husband will have to sponsor your child while he remains in Canada. Your son isn’t guaranteed a TRV. It will be up to the visa officer whether it is granted. If refused you have the option to try and get aTRP. If all those fail you’ll have to wait until he gets his PR before returning to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

Why did you ask this question if you already have TRV. We have seen lots of people being refused even in similar situation as yours so that is why we tell people the steps you need to try.

dnarana

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
My son doesnt have a TRV my husband got a position recently in canada . So now we r planning to go to canada . We assumed there will be income cut off to apply pr for our son hence we havent started the sponsorship process .

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
My son doesnt have a TRV my husband got a position recently in canada . So now we r planning to go to canada . We assumed there will be income cut off to apply pr for our son hence we havent started the sponsorship process .
No income cut off. Your husband should sponsor your son asap.

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
Hi

This is what we did. My husband applied for a TRV for my son while he was in Canada. TRV was granted in 19 days. My son travelled to Canada with me and we applied for his PR. We had our finances/residential proof sorted to back his TRV and PR application. That and being honest is all that matters, in my opinion.

dnarana

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Hi
Thank you so much for the reply . can you share few details about applying TRV . Did you apply it online ? Have you attached both yours n your son flight tickets in the application ?

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
Hi
Thank you so much for the reply . can you share few details about applying TRV . Did you apply it online ? Have you attached both yours n your son flight tickets in the application ?
Yes, we applied online and did attach return tickets since we had a trip planned back home around that time.

dnarana

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Hey
One last question what about medical insurance for the baby have you bought any as the baby ll be on TRV

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
My husband was working and his company gave him medical insurance for the family. However, if that is not an option for you- so suggest you buy one.

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
Update:

So finally things have come to a sweet end. We received copr last month and we then applied for PR card processing from within Canada. We got an appointment pretty soon and we completed the formalities yesterday.
In a nutshell, this process may seem intimidating if you let it. But it is straightforward and donot let negative stories worry you. People scare you saying that you may have to leave your child in your home country for over a year and so on. As far as your job is secure and finances are adequate, thorough paperwork should sort things up. Good luck.

Reactions: akrsoy

akrsoy

Nov 24, 2019
Update:

So finally things have come to a sweet end. We received copr last month and we then applied for PR card processing from within Canada. We got an appointment pretty soon and we completed the formalities yesterday.
In a nutshell, this process may seem intimidating if you let it. But it is straightforward and donot let negative stories worry you. People scare you saying that you may have to leave your child in your home country for over a year and so on. As far as your job is secure and finances are adequate, thorough paperwork should sort things up. Good luck.
Hi. Nice to hear a positive story about this. I am in in a similar situation. Just a quick history: My husband and I are Nigerians living in the UK. While waiting to get our Canadian PR, I got a scholarship to undertake a PhD programme which I started in September 2017. My husband works here as well. We got PR in March 2018. However, our daughter was born in December 2018 in the UK. We intend to move to Canada before 3 years run out in March 2021 to meet our RO, at which point I would have finished my programme. So we are facing a similar issue with bringing our daughter with us. The initial plan was for my husband to resign months before I'm done and then travel to Canada to start our daughter's application. However, we are hoping we could all go together instead of my husband having to go first.
So a few questions please:
1: How long before you travel to Canada can you apply for TRV?
2. How long did it take to get CoPR for your child once you started the application?
3. Did you get the PR before the TRV expired? If not, could you extend it within Canada or had to leave with your child?

Thanks a lot. I'd appreciate input from anyone too who can provide a bit of clarity.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. Nice to hear a positive story about this. I am in in a similar situation. Just a quick history: My husband and I are Nigerians living in the UK. While waiting to get our Canadian PR, I got a scholarship to undertake a PhD programme which I started in September 2017. My husband works here as well. We got PR in March 2018. However, our daughter was born in December 2018 in the UK. We intend to move to Canada before 3 years run out in March 2021 to meet our RO, at which point I would have finished my programme. So we are facing a similar issue with bringing our daughter with us. The initial plan was for my husband to resign months before I'm done and then travel to Canada to start our daughter's application. However, we are hoping we could all go together instead of my husband having to go first.
2. How long did it take to get CoPR for your child once you started the application?
3. Did you get the PR before the TRV expired? If not, could you extend it within Canada or had to leave with your child?

Thanks a lot. I'd appreciate input from anyone too who can provide a bit of clarity.
If your child is a UK citizen she just needs an ETA. You must start the sponsorship in Canada while still compliant with your RO.

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018

1. Look at the current processing times for TRV and apply. Keep adequate buffer since delays can happen.
2. 10 months
3. You can extend it within Canada.