+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for baby born outside Canada with parents having PR

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
Hello,

Me and my husband hold Canadian PR issued to us in Feb 2017. We had our baby born in Dubai in August 2017. My husband has moved to Toronto, 2 months back and has found a good job there. Financially, we will be able to prove funds and we have an established home address.I am currently in India and wish to move to Canada with my 1-year-old son who doesn't have a PR.

After searching this forum,I have realized I have 2 options of TRV and TRP. Meanwhile, we wish to start the PR sponsorship process as well. Here are my queries

1. TRV: Can someone direct me to the exact process and the documents required. Can we do it ourselves or do we need a lawyer

2. Sponsorship: Assuming we get a TRV and I travel to Toronto with my son, can the PR be processed while we live in Toronto or do we have to exit the country for it? Also, seems like we need to make a selection while applying for sponsorship whether the applicant is within or outside Canada- What option should I select?

3. Similar stories: Please share some experiences with similar journeys and the processing times you experienced.

This forum has been immensely useful in my process to get a PR. I am looking for some help from all of you. Thank you all.

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
This question has been answered over and over again. Likely in the past couple of days have you searched?
Hi Canuck,

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes I did search the forum and put forth my q only after. I ll re look at these specific questions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you don't find the answer ask again but this is a common question. Your husband should have started the sponsorship as soon as he arrived in Toronto. I would apply asap.

vaibhavisatam

Jul 26, 2018
Hello,

I am writing in to update the result of my query. So we went ahead and applied for a TRV online. The cost is merely 100 CAD while agents asked us for 700 CAD and upwards. I am here to share a positive experience for people who may be in similar situations. Here are my pointers:
1. Secure good financial stability that you can prove on paper: My husband had just got a job. We uploaded the offer letter and bank statements since he did not have a pay stub yet.
2. Residential proof: Bank letters worked for us
3. Letter of explanation: we were honest about our situation and explained why the baby was born outside canada despite having a PR. We expressed our respect for following laws in Canada.
4. Return tickets: I dont see a way to get around this. We did book our return tickets around the 6 month mark
The process took us 11 days and we got the approval for stamping. I heard a lot of negative stories around getting a TRV and I just meant to share a positive experience. I am no expert.

I appreciate how family centric the system is. If you are truthful and all documents are in order, I see no reason why a TRV may be denied. I do know that it is finally upto the immigration officer to grant us entry and once again, I am hopeful since we have all valid and legal documents. Fingers crossed!

ashitasingh

Oct 3, 2017
@vaibhavisatam - Hey hi there.. I am in a similar situation.
I actually applied for my 7 year old daughter's PR (family sponsorship - dependent child) but they returned her application after 3 months as i had missed out one signature. I live in Toronto whereas my daughter is with her father in India (we are divorced). I want to bring her to canada in July but don't have enough time to re-file her application (it takes 9 months to process child sponsorship). so i was thinking of filing for her visitor visa and hoping that she is allowed to come to Canada on TRV. And once she is here i will re-apply for family sponsorship.

My question to you is - what do you advise i write in the explanation letter? Should i write that i intend to apply for her PR once she is in Canada or should i simply just show a return ticket for after 6 months (Jan'2020 because i intend to bring her in July'19) and say that she will leave the country after 6 months. Please advise based upon your own experience. I am in a bit of a fix. The separation is causing huge anxiety to both me and my daughter.

Regards
Ashita

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@vaibhavisatam - Hey hi there.. I am in a similar situation.
I actually applied for my 7 year old daughter's PR (family sponsorship - dependent child) but they returned her application after 3 months as i had missed out one signature. I live in Toronto whereas my daughter is with her father in India (we are divorced). I want to bring her to canada in July but don't have enough time to re-file her application (it takes 9 months to process child sponsorship). so i was thinking of filing for her visitor visa and hoping that she is allowed to come to Canada on TRV. And once she is here i will re-apply for family sponsorship.

My question to you is - what do you advise i write in the explanation letter? Should i write that i intend to apply for her PR once she is in Canada or should i simply just show a return ticket for after 6 months (Jan'2020 because i intend to bring her in July'19) and say that she will leave the country after 6 months. Please advise based upon your own experience. I am in a bit of a fix. The separation is causing huge anxiety to both me and my daughter.

Regards
Ashita
They will know from the previous app that you are planning on sponsoring her, so no point in trying to hide that. There is also no point in waiting for her to come to Canada to re-submit the PR app. Get it in now.

ashitasingh

Oct 3, 2017
They will know from the previous app that you are planning on sponsoring her, so no point in trying to hide that. There is also no point in waiting for her to come to Canada to re-submit the PR app. Get it in now.
@canuck_in_uk : Hi thanks for your response. But i want to bring her here in Canada in July'19. If i resubmit her PR application now it is going to take 9 months for them to stamp her passport with the one time entry visa which means she will most likely get it by November.

The separation between us is making both my daughter and I anxious. That is why i want to apply for her visitor visa first and then when she is here i will start her PR process again. Please advise on how best to proceed with this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk : Hi thanks for your response. But i want to bring her here in Canada in July'19. If i resubmit her PR application now it is going to take 9 months for them to stamp her passport with the one time entry visa which means she will most likely get it by November.

The separation between us is making both my daughter and I anxious. That is why i want to apply for her visitor visa first and then when she is here i will start her PR process again. Please advise on how best to proceed with this.
If she has a TRV, she can come in Canada as a visitor while the PR app processes.

Anaar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC requested on August 11,2015
AOR Received.
Per dated Feb 16, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
TLU in September that file is transferred to LVO on Feb 16, 2015
Med's Request
Sept 23, 2015
Med's Done....
October 07, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 14, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 28, 2015
Hi! It’s been 1.5 months since I applied for TRV of my new born (alongwith detailed evidence of the circumstances that I had to travel back as a PR and ended up delivering in my home country). The current processing times for here are 28 days. Any idea why is it takin so long for a 3 month old child and anyway I can find out the exact status??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! It’s been 1.5 months since I applied for TRV of my new born (alongwith detailed evidence of the circumstances that I had to travel back as a PR and ended up delivering in my home country). The current processing times for here are 28 days. Any idea why is it takin so long for a 3 month old child and anyway I can find out the exact status??
28 days is just an estimate. Your case is problematic that is why it is maybe delayed. TRVs are often denied for PRs because your child is not a temporary visitor. Your spouse should start the sponsorship process if he is already in Canada. If the TRV is refused you can try a TRP. If the TRP is refused you will have to wait until your child gets sponsored before going back to Canada or leave the baby with family which most people wouldn’t want to do.

Anaar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Per dated Feb 16, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Sept 23, 2015
Med's Done....
October 07, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 14, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks. My husband isn’t a PR. I got my landing done before I got married. Flew to Canada to have the baby there and apply for husbands sponsorship. A sad, unexpected event in my family led me to travel back and deliver in my home country (delivered 3 weeks after I had to land in emergency, nearly a month before the expected date). Have all the proof as to why I came back (documents here, proof of the reason I came back and my own hospitalization 3 times due to trauma) plus earlier medical record from Canada where I was under care for the 3 weeks that I was there. My husband got his TRV to visit me for the delivery- but because I had to fly back in emergency- he also hasn’t visited yet. Now I want to go and apply for them both but there hasn’t been any reply. Maybe because my record spreads over 3 countries over 1 year given the personal circumstances and hence they’re taking long. But I have nearly finished my 3 years post landing and desperate to go back and apply for sponsorship and this delay isn’t helping the case. Have undertaken that the child will do the exit every 6 months along with return ticket till her gets his PR. Anything that I can do to expedite the process?

Anaar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Per dated Feb 16, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Sept 23, 2015
Med's Done....
October 07, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 14, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 28, 2015

Hi! Did you get your daughter’s PR or not?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. My husband isn’t a PR. I got my landing done before I got married. Flew to
to have the baby there and apply for husbands sponsorship. A sad, unexpected event in my family led me to travel back and deliver in my home country (delivered 3 weeks after I had to land in emergency, nearly a month before the expected date). Have all the proof as to why I came back (documents here, proof of the reason I came back and my own hospitalization 3 times due to trauma) plus earlier medical record from Canada where I was under care for the 3 weeks that I was there. My husband got his TRV to visit me for the delivery- but because I had to fly back in emergency- he also hasn’t visited yet. Now I want to go and apply for them both but there hasn’t been any reply. Maybe because my record spreads over 3 countries over 1 year given the personal circumstances and hence they’re taking long. But I have nearly finished my 3 years post landing and desperate to go back and apply for sponsorship and this delay isn’t helping the case. Have undertaken that the child will do the exit every 6 months along with return ticket till her gets his PR. Anything that I can do to expedite the process?

Unfortunately you also at be facing other problems. Are you aware that there are residency obligations to use the Canadian healthcare system? You shouldn’t have received a health card when you did you soft landing since you didn’t qualify for one. Depending on what province you returned it doesn’t sound like you met the residency requirement to receive healthcare when you either being supervised outpatient or inpatient by an OB. The residency requirements are there to prevent people from entering Canada just to access medical care.

For example in Ontario:
Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least oneof the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home

Your child is not really a temporary visitor so that is that major issue. We see that children are awarded TRVs in 50% of the cases. Unfortunately when people leave moving to Canada to the last minute this is what happens. There are tons of examples on this forum of cases like yours. The RO is very lenient and on.y 2 out of 5 years but people leave it to the last minute and then something prevents them from moving.

Anaar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Per dated Feb 16, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Sept 23, 2015
Med's Done....
October 07, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 14, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks. I am aware of all this. I had landed in Aug 2016 (soft landing only)- never applied for OHIP as I didn’t stay long. This time in Jan 2019 I intended to stay. Didn’t have a health card, knew the pre req and hence was willing to pay and deliver the child legally in Canada as a PR. I hadn’t received the medical card yet ( hadn’t even applied as I was there 3 weeks only and was in process of getting documents gathered to apply for OHIP) was under a midwife and had also paid the hospital expenses out of pocket in advance as a non OHIP. I had every intention to deliver there despite no health card and hence was willing to pay/ had paid. But we plan and then Allah plans. Sudden hospitalization of an otherwise healthy parent leading to death isn’t something foreseen- which made me travel back in my 35th week all alone from Canada fo pakistan. All the documents are there which they may be verifying and hence it’s taking time. I never intended to by pass the system- have been very honest throughout the process even now giving all evidence of the unfortunate turn of events. The purpose was to seek guidance as to how can one try to expedite a response after normal processing time is over.