+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trudeau’s New Coronavirus Travel Rules

anonymous5002

Mar 16, 2020
Today, Prime Minister Trudeau issued new rules regarding travel, aimed at stopping the spread of the novel coronavirus. One of them reads as follows:

“In addition, airlines will prevent all travellers who present COVID-19 symptoms, regardless of their citizenship, from boarding international flights to Canada. Airlines will conduct a basic health assessment of all air travellers based on guidance from the Public Health Agency of Canada.”

My question is whether it is legal to deny Canadian citizens boarding on a Canada-bound flight. Like, what am I supposed to do, if I am a Canadian citizen and I’ve got coronavirus symptoms? Surely, I cannot be refused to return to my country, regardless of any circumstances, even the fact that I may possess symptoms of the coronavirus. This just can’t be right, or am I getting something wrong?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Sounds like that's what they implied today. They also made it sound like all flights might stop at some point soon, as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Today, Prime Minister Trudeau issued new rules regarding travel, aimed at stopping the spread of the novel coronavirus. One of them reads as follows:

“In addition, airlines will prevent all travellers who present COVID-19 symptoms, regardless of their citizenship, from boarding international flights to Canada. Airlines will conduct a basic health assessment of all air travellers based on guidance from the Public Health Agency of Canada.”

My question is whether it is legal to deny Canadian citizens boarding on a Canada-bound flight. Like, what am I supposed to do, if I am a Canadian citizen and I’ve got coronavirus symptoms? Surely, I cannot be refused to return to my country, regardless of any circumstances, even the fact that I may possess symptoms of the coronavirus. This just can’t be right, or am I getting something wrong?
Yes, it's possible. Extreme measures have been put in place and the objective is to prevent one person from potentially infecting many more. Keep in mind that there have now been numerous instances where people have been prevented from leaving cruise ships for weeks. Many would say that's a denial of rights - but it's happening.

Metufer

Jun 28, 2014
What about permanent resident's immediate family? i.e spouses or parents, siblings? Are they not allowed as well?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

There is a difference between being refused travel to Canada and being refused entry to Canada. You don't have the legal right to travel to Canada, so you could certainly be refused boarding. If you somehow manage to make it to a POE and present yourself to CBSA, you ahve the legal right of entry and can't be refused.

anonymous5002

Mar 16, 2020
Yes, it's possible. Extreme measures have been put in place and the objective is to prevent one person from potentially infecting many more. Keep in mind that there have now been numerous instances where people have been prevented from leaving cruise ships for weeks. Many would say that's a denial of rights - but it's happening.
The problem is that, basically, Trudeau is leaving Canadians, who may have the virus, stranded for an indefinite amount of time in another country, where they aren’t going to receive the same healthcare as in Canada. And, even if they do, it’s an issue of finding the nearest hospital, sorting out all the financial questions, etc. Certainly something that elderly Canadians, who are now on holiday in, say, the Caribbean, don’t want to go through. It’s one thing barring foreign citizens from entry; doing the same thing with Canadians is completely different.

Talking about cruise ships, look at the UK. Rather than refusing to accept UK citizens stranded on cruise ships in the Caribbean, they are sending planes to get them over back home. That is what I call responsable action on the part of the government.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The problem is that, basically, Trudeau is leaving Canadians, who may have the virus, stranded for an indefinite amount of time in another country, where they aren’t going to receive the same healthcare as in Canada. And, even if they do, it’s an issue of finding the nearest hospital, sorting out all the financial questions, etc. Certainly something that elderly Canadians, who are now on holiday in, say, the Caribbean, don’t want to go through. It’s one thing barring foreign citizens from entry; doing the same thing with Canadians is completely different.

Talking about cruise ships, look at the UK. Rather than refusing to accept UK citizens stranded on cruise ships in the Caribbean, they are sending planes to get them over back home. That is what I call responsable action on the part of the government.
If someone is showing symptoms or has COVID-19, a plane is the LAST place that they should be. Being Canadian doesn't overrule the right of everyone else on that plane to not be exposed.

Not sure what you mean with the UK reference. Canada chartered many planes to repatriate citizens.

Ali khan1011

Mar 17, 2020
What about permanent resident's immediate family? i.e spouses or parents, siblings? Are they not allowed as well?
It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Definition of immediate family is spouse and dependants, not parents or siblings.

Read the end of this link below.

Ultimately the airline decides who based on the board/no board instructions they will have been given who can board or not and as above if someone is suspected of being COVID positive they will be denied regardless of status/citizenship much same as an airline has the right to deny boarding if someone is drunk or drugged

How an airline is supposed to determine who is an immediate family member or not is a mystery unless they are all travelling together maybe.

Anyone who is not a citizen or a PR should contact their airline in advance, not easy at the moment, rather than just rely on a public forum where everyone has same access to the same public information

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.

In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

Ali khan1011

Mar 17, 2020
Definition of immediate family is spouse and dependants, not parents or siblings.

Read the end of this link below.

Ultimately the airline decides who based on the board/no board instructions they will have been given who can board or not and as above if someone is suspected of being COVID positive they will be denied regardless of status/citizenship much same as an airline has the right to deny boarding if someone is drunk or drugged

How an airline is supposed to determine who is an immediate family member or not is a mystery unless they are all travelling together maybe.

Anyone who is not a citizen or a PR should contact their airline in advance, not easy at the moment, rather than just rely on a public forum where everyone has same access to the same public information

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.

In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.
The spouse name will be present on the ID when you present it at the airport. You can show your COPR which states if you are married and to whome you are married.

Gsk47

Nov 8, 2019
AOR Received.
9th july, 2019
Med's Done....
08-2019
Hi
My and wife's CoPR is till 3rd July, my wife 's sister is Citizen, they enquired at Canada Border Security Agency, Immigration Officer, Our Airline ( BA), response is

- airline is allowing to board as we have valid travel documents
- immigration office is allowing CoPRs unless border security is fine
- Border Security is allowing as wife s sister is Citizen...

Overall CoPRs are allowed if citizen relationship can be proved

Do we have similar case here please?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

If you have or suspect you have contracted the Corona virus, you should be in quarantine. Being a Canadian overseas doesn’t change that. It’s unrealistic to assume everyone outside of Canada is going to make it back to the country and endangering others on whatever flights are available isn’t a particularly intelligent choice.

Reactions: Qwertypod