+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document for my kid with rejected refugee claim

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
Hello every one,
I am a convention refuegee, but my kid's refugee claim was denied because he was born in USA. We have to travel but can my kid get Travel document? If not, please advice me and show us a way to travel safely and return back after a while.
Thanks,
Did you get travel document for your kid?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you get travel document for your kid?
Also you won't qualily for CCB until you are a protected person. Health insurance for your son depends on province (e.g. not in Ontario). School depends on province or municipality. Would consider your options very carefully. Your son is 6 years old. Your family has created pretty deep roots in the US. Asylum shopping could lead to more problems.

Reactions: Buletruck

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
Also you won't qualily for CCB until you are a protected person. Health insurance for your son depends on province (e.g. not in Ontario). School depends on province or municipality. Would consider your options very carefully. Your son is 6 years old. Your family has created pretty deep roots in the US. Asylum shopping could lead to more problems.

The child may be qualified for CCB. Nobody cares if the child is protected person or not. If one of the parents is protected person, it is enough to get CCB.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html

To be eligible for the Canada child benefit (CCB), you must meet all of the following conditions:

• You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
  • You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
  • You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
    • an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The child may be qualified for CCB. Nobody cares if the child is protected person or not. If one of the parents is protected person, it is enough to get CCB.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html

To be eligible for the Canada child benefit (CCB), you must meet all of the following conditions:

• You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
  • You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
  • You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
    • an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act
Exactly. I said you wouldn't qualify until you are a protected person. The adult was asking the question.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Bashfad

Apr 11, 2018
Quick questions.
1. Why CBSA will not return the passport back to child? I am in the same situation, I am approved and my daughter is denied. I wanted to get her USA passport back from CBSA so that she can travel to USA and then return as a tourist to Canada just to maintain her status until we get PR.
2. Can we apply for a new passport from US embassy for her?
3. If the child cannot get back the US passport from CBSA then technically the child be out of status in Canada, right?.

Sam.som

May 25, 2018
Quick questions.
1. Why CBSA will not return the passport back to child? I am in the same situation, I am approved and my daughter is denied. I wanted to get her USA passport back from CBSA so that she can travel to USA and then return as a tourist to Canada just to maintain her status until we get PR.
2. Can we apply for a new passport from US embassy for her?
3. If the child cannot get back the US passport from CBSA then technically the child be out of status in Canada, right?.
After you receive your Notice of Decision, you also get a lettter that says your kid should leave the country in .. days, ( I forgot the exact number of days) , if you are in that period of time, your kid can leave and then enter the country without a problem, but if that period ended , same as me, then your kid’s order of deportation doesn’t let her to come back to Canada till she get her PR or few years pass. So, The problem is your child will not be able to re enter to Canada.
2- you can contact USA embassy directly, but they told me they can issue a new passport but they can’t ask CBSA to let my kid re enter, because it’s not in embassy’s hand.
3- yes your kid is out of status.
I tried all the possible ways but I couldn’t find a solution. The best way is to stay and wait for PR, fortunately the processing time for PR is getting shorter each month .

Lollydys

Apr 30, 2019
After you receive your Notice of Decision, you also get a lettter that says your kid should leave the country in .. days, ( I forgot the exact number of days) , if you are in that period of time, your kid can leave and then enter the country without a problem, but if that period ended , same as me, then your kid’s order of deportation doesn’t let her to come back to Canada till she get her PR or few years pass. So, The problem is your child will not be able to re enter to Canada.
2- you can contact USA embassy directly, but they told me they can issue a new passport but they can’t ask CBSA to let my kid re enter, because it’s not in embassy’s hand.
3- yes your kid is out of status.
I tried all the possible ways but I couldn’t find a solution. The best way is to stay and wait for PR, fortunately the processing time for PR is getting shorter each month .
Hello Sam. Pls are you saying that having a USA citizen child. They will be refused and ask to leave the Canada

How would they leave since the parent don't have PR.

Am confused

Also can a family member take the child out to USA for tourism and come back to canada

CA-FA

Aug 13, 2019
Hello Sam. Pls are you saying that having a USA citizen child. They will be refused and ask to leave the Canada

How would they leave since the parent don't have PR.

Am confused

Also can a family member take the child out to USA for tourism and come back to canada
Hello
no . we get approved and we are eligible to get Canadian refugee document and travel where you want during your PR process , I have US child and I can't to get his passport back until I get the PR , in the same time I can't apply for him refugee travel document .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
no . we get approved and we are eligible to get Canadian refugee document and travel where you want during your PR process , I have US child and I can't to get his passport back until I get the PR , in the same time I can't apply for him refugee travel document .
They never qualified for asylum in the first place. This is where everyone is going wrong. Don’t apply for asylum for your US born children. Yes they are getting denied and they aren’t returning the passports since they should technically be returning to the US but they are minors. They can’t return their passports when they have no status in Canada.

Tasneem89

Oct 25, 2019
Hey any updates? What are the odds that u will be denied entry to Canada? Assuming the US embassy issues another passport