+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document for my kid with rejected refugee claim

Sam.som

May 25, 2018
Hello every one,
I am a convention refuegee, but my kid's refugee claim was denied because he was born in USA. We have to travel but can my kid get Travel document? If not, please advice me and show us a way to travel safely and return back after a while.
Thanks,

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello every one,
I am a convention refuegee, but my kid's refugee claim was denied because he was born in USA. We have to travel but can my kid get Travel document? If not, please advice me and show us a way to travel safely and return back after a while.
Thanks,
No your kid cannot get RTD, instead you need to apply US passport for your kid, because your kid is a US citizen.

Reactions: Buletruck

Sam.som

May 25, 2018
Thank you for your answers, I applied to get his US seized passport back from CBSA. But they told me that I can not get it untill my son and I get our PR or wanted to remove officially from Canada. It means he can not re-enter to the country with US passport at this time! I belive there should be another option

Reactions: Karimo9

Karimo9

Dec 24, 2018
Thank you for your answers, I applied to get his US seized passport back from CBSA. But they told me that I can not get it untill my son and I get our PR or wanted to remove officially from Canada. It means he can not re-enter to the country with US passport at this time! I belive there should be another option
Hey Sam,
I'm in the same situation as you are. My son was born in the USA and was rejected on travel document. Did you find a way to get pass

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hey Sam,
I'm in the same situation as you are. My son was born in the USA and was rejected on travel document. Did you find a way to get pass
Te solution is ask for an Certificate of identity .

( See here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html )

We issue certificates of identity to permanent residents of Canada who aren’t yet Canadian citizens and who are:

• otherwise stateless or
  • can’t, for a valid reason, get a national passport or travel document from any source
You can’t use a certificate of identity to travel to your country of citizenship.

The issuing office decides the validity period.

Reactions: Karimo9

Sam.som

May 25, 2018
Thank you very much for your help
Hi,
No I haven't find any way yet! They didn't give us back his US passport too.
Also, your son will not be eligible for certificate of identity if your kid is a US citizen and also not a permanent resident of Canada, so if your kid is in the same situation as mine, unfortunately there is no way till he get his PR and then apply for a travel document or US passport!
However, if you find any way please share it with me too! Because we really need to travel and visit our family outside of Canada

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
Hello every one,
Thanks,
That's really interesting.

I have two questions regarding your kid's situation.

-How about health insurance for your kid after the decision? While you have insurance given by the Canadian Government you kid doesn't have an insurance?

-Second one is, are you able to get child benefit after the decision or not?

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
Hey Sam,

SAME QUESTIONS FOR YOU TOO..

-How about health insurance for your kid after the decision? While you have insurance given by the Canadian Government you kid doesn't have an insurance?

Sam.som

May 25, 2018

1-After sending a letter from his school he could get provincial insurance.
2- Yes, I receive child benefit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1-After sending a letter from his school he could get provincial insurance.
2- Yes, I receive child benefit.
Don't understand how a letter from his school got him health insurance? Normally you have to buy private insurance until he can be sponsored s a PR. Qualifying for health insurance varies by province. What province are you living in?

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
Don't understand how a letter from his school got him health insurance? Normally you have to buy private insurance until he can be sponsored s a PR. Qualifying for health insurance varies by province. What province are you living in?
We have lots of things to learn about Canada. I am very curious what kind of letter was that. I suppose Sam.Som lives in Ontario

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have lots of things to learn about Canada. I am very curious what kind of letter was that. I suppose Sam.Som lives in Ontario
Still doesn't make sense. OHIP is pretty strict. A school can basically indicate that the child is attending school not much else.