+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel cancellation/interruption insurance for citizenship exam/oath

titin

Jun 6, 2014
Hello,

I have applied for the citizenship. My husband and I are planning to go to a trip. The trip will cost us about $6000 nonrefundable.

I am looking into purchasing interruption/cancellation travel insurance in case that the citizenship exam/oath is scheduled during the trip.

I have looked into RBC and TD travel cancellation/interruption insurance but they do not seem to cover the citizenship exam/oath for cancelling the trip. Has anyone have the experience on the travel insurance? What company insurance would you suggest me to purchase for citizenship exam/oath cancellation?

Thank you for your help!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello,

I have applied for the citizenship. My husband and I are planning to go to a trip. The trip will cost us about $6000 nonrefundable.

I am looking into purchasing interruption/cancellation travel insurance in case that the citizenship exam/oath is scheduled during the trip.

I have looked into RBC and TD travel cancellation/interruption insurance but they do not seem to cover the citizenship exam/oath for cancelling the trip. Has anyone have the experience on the travel insurance? What company insurance would you suggest me to purchase for citizenship exam/oath cancellation?

Thank you for your help!
Unfortunately, I don't think there is an insurance that will cover that.

Most importantly, travel insurances cover unforseeable circumstances. Citizenship oath and test are not unforseeable. Their exact date is, but you know that it is going to happen. And looking at how unpredictable IRCC is, I doubt that an insurance would cover such a specific thing.

In particular, you have the option to reschedule your test and/or oath. So the insurance would not give you any money since you first have to take possible measures to resolve the conflict.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Thank you for your help!
Advise IRCC of your travel plans and ask for the test/oath not be scheduled during this time. Although some applicants have not been successful with it has worked for me as after letting IRCC know of my travel dates my oath was scheduled before the planned trip.

Reactions: paritosh

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hello,

Thank you for your help!
I don't think you can cover that under any insurance. The best you can do is to contact CIC and update them with your travel plans. They will make a note on your case and assign you the Exam and/or Oath ceremonies accordingly.

Worked for me. I gave them my travel schedule and so far they have scheduled my test date out of my travels.

All the best,

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hello,

Thank you for your help!
I doubt any standard insurance would cover this, and bespoke insurance would likely be cost prohibitive.

You can postpone your citizenship test and ceremony (so insurance is unlikely to refund anything, as you did not have to cancel your trip to attend the test/ceremony), and/or inform IRCC beforehand of your travel plans. They may then not schedule you while you are away, though that is not guaranteed. Even so, if the invitation was sent while you were traveling you'd have (I believe) up to 30 days after the scheduled appointment (so about 45 days, as they tend to give two weeks notice) to contact IRCC to justify your absence and ask to be rescheduled.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
You
Hello,

Thank you for your help!
You should have never planned such a costly trip given that your citizenship application is pending.
Hopefully this will serve you as a lesson in the future.

Sorry if my answer doesn’t please you.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You

You should have never planned such a costly trip given that your citizenship application is pending.
Hopefully this will serve you as a lesson in the future.

Sorry if my answer doesn’t please you.
With all due respect to you- How is this answer helping the OP?

OP- Have you booked the tickets yet, or are you still in the planning stage? If you haven't bought it yet, perhaps wait until you are done with the oath ceremony...If you have already bought tickets, like another poster had advised- reach out to CIC and inform them about the dates you are not available- and hope/pray for the best...Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Reactions: spyfy

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
With all due respect to you- How is this answer helping the OP?

OP- Have you booked the tickets yet, or are you still in the planning stage? If you haven't bought it yet, perhaps wait until you are done with the oath ceremony...If you have already bought tickets, like another poster had advised- reach out to CIC and inform them about the dates you are not available- and hope/pray for the best...Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Not helpful.. but I wanted to say it was a clumsy planning knowing what citizenship application means with regards to constant availability to IRCC throughout the whole process.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
I fled the country due to the account of cold, to somewhere warm, sand and sun for 2 months.
Knowing I have no hold on the test date, I took the plunge to return Feb 25. January maybe 27, my ecas updated that the test invite was sent that day for the exam and interview March 6.

Sad part is, not taking the vacation and your mouth open waiting for something to arrive on the timespan you would have been enjoying yourself, and it comes after the fact.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I fled the country due to the account of cold, to somewhere warm, sand and sun for 2 months.
Knowing I have no hold on the test date, I took the plunge to return Feb 25. January maybe 27, my ecas updated that the test invite was sent that day for the exam and interview March 6.

Sad part is, not taking the vacation and your mouth open waiting for something to arrive on the timespan you would have been enjoying yourself, and it comes after the fact.
You should have gone to Vancouver instead. The weather had been nice since two weeks ago. At least, no need to fled the country...

titin

Jun 6, 2014
Thank you all for providing some useful information.

I wanted to provide some updates after doing some research. There is an insurance called "Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR)." This type of insurance gives you up to 50% of reimbursement for any reason of cancellation. For example, CAA's CFAR costs about $150 per person for $6000 5 days trip. You can get $3000 back for any reason of cancellation, however, if your reason is under the insured risk (such as illness), you can get all $6000 back.

The reason that my trip costs a lot is because it is a business conference trip. The conference registration is about $1000 per person (nonrefundable). Both of my husband and I are the invited speakers so it costs us $2000 just for the registration out of $6000. All of the costs will be covered by our employer including the travel cancellation/interruption insurance. The destination is one of the most expensive countries so that is why the cost is high for the hotel (hotel is also nonrefundable through the conference rate).

However, if I can't go due to the citizenship exam/oath, the company will not cover the nonrefundable costs so the costs will be on me and my husband (my husband said that if I am not going to the business conference, he will not go either although his cost is also covered by our employer).

After doing all of the calculation, we have decided to book the refundable hotels and flight tickets (not through the conference website) which will cost about $8,000 in total. I think this is a safer option.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012

I wanted to provide some updates after doing some research. There is an insurance called "Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR)." This type of insurance gives you up to 50% of reimbursement for any reason of cancellation. For example, CAA's CFAR costs about $150 per person for $6000 5 days trip. You can get $3000 back for any reason of cancellation, however, if your reason is under the insured risk (such as illness), you can get all $6000 back.

The reason that my trip costs a lot is because it is a business conference trip. The conference registration is about $1000 per person (nonrefundable). Both of my husband and I are the invited speakers so it costs us $2000 just for the registration out of $6000. All of the costs will be covered by our employer including the travel cancellation/interruption insurance. The destination is one of the most expensive countries so that is why the cost is high for the hotel (hotel is also nonrefundable through the conference rate).

However, if I can't go due to the citizenship exam/oath, the company will not cover the nonrefundable costs so the costs will be on me and my husband (my husband said that if I am not going to the business conference, he will not go either although his cost is also covered by our employer).

After doing all of the calculation, we have decided to book the refundable hotels and flight tickets (not through the conference website) which will cost about $8,000 in total. I think this is a safer option.
Thank you for going through the effort to explain, even though it really isn't anyone's business to ask WHY you have the issue you do. I'm sorry that some couldn't respect the question and made you feel like you needed to add this explanation.

Reactions: spyfy and titin

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hi

You have not provided dates of citizenship application and travel to help me answer this in a slightly better way. That said, it seems like you are still waiting for the citizenship test ( so I guess you should worry about this and not OATH).
From personal experience, I got my test date for 25 Jan 2018, and as it so happened I had business trip planned for that same week. All you have to do is keep checking your ECAS and then submit your travel proof online via the IRCC web form. I did this and they rescheduled my test with NO ISSUES at all.
I have also received the GCMS/ATIP notes which confirms that they received the webform submission. I had my test on 15 March 2018 and now waiting for oath.

If I were you I would not pay anything extra for tickets or insurance. I believe you are overthinking the process.. yes, IRCC is unpredictable but applying for citizenship is not supposed to be a hassle and IRCC understands that people have jobs and they may take business trips.

For further info, during the citizenship test/interview - they also ask you if you are travelling over the next 2-3 months so they dont schedule the Oath for those particular dates.

Hope this helps everyone. Certain people on this forum just like to make everything a super big deal as if it were death sentence hearing in Supreme Court instead of actually helping people. Please ignore them.

Reactions: titin and sns204