Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
Quick question about translation of documents...we are applying outland and the application goes first to Mississauga and then on to Sao Paulo, Brazil. It says that his documents must be translated into english or french and notarized if they are in a different language. In this case, his police certificate and RNE (from Brazil) are in Portuguese. Does it really have to be translated if it is handled in Sao Paulo or will it be ok to leave it as is? Thank you.

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
Cdagal said:
Quick question about translation of documents...we are applying outland and the application goes first to Mississauga and then on to Sao Paulo, Brazil. It says that his documents must be translated into english or french and notarized if they are in a different language. In this case, his police certificate and RNE (from Brazil) are in Portuguese. Does it really have to be translated if it is handled in Sao Paulo or will it be ok to leave it as is? Thank you.
Hi Cdagal,

I think this may answer your question: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/marriage-in-brazil-t37500.0.html;msg262962#msg262962

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cdagal said:
Hi,

All documents which are not in English or French should be translated by a licenced translator to English or French.

camarsden

Dec 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
AOR Received.
01-04-2010
Med's Done....
24-12-2009
Passport Req..
08-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2010
LANDED..........
29-08-2010
Hi

I had my Korean police check translated by a friend from Korean to English. I also had her write and sign an accompanying letter, that included her contact information, stating that the translation was accurate. I then attached the translated document and the letter to the original police check. We got approved without any questions regarding the translation.

Hope that helps.

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
Hi, just a quid question to do with the translations. Do you also have to translate emails that have been sent between one another into English? As I have tons of emails between my spouse and I, but they are all in Albanian and I imagine it as being quit expensive to translate thousands of emails. Is it only the more official documents that need to be translated?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
katie3234 said:
Hi, just a quid question to do with the translations. Do you also have to translate emails that have been sent between one another into English? As I have tons of emails between my spouse and I, but they are all in Albanian and I imagine it as being quit expensive to translate thousands of emails. Is it only the more official documents that need to be translated?
Hi Katie, If you want to submit those emails as evidence of your relationship you will need to have them translated. I suggest culling them for content that most supports your case and have only those translated. Others have suggested elsewhere to sort your email inboxes and print a screen shot to show continued contact...the sender and receiver in that printout can be easily explained/translated by you.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
katie3234 said:
It's really the official documents that they want translated by a certified translator and notarized. Emails are evidence of a genuine relationship, but not official docs, so can be translated by yourself or a friend. I'd still include a statement from the translator stating that the translations are accurate, giving the translator's name and contact info, if it's not you.
I agree with the previous poster - print your inbox, showing all the emails, and then just translate a selection.

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
So I got married in Albania on June 4th of this year, it was fabulous. Just us, my husband’s godparentsand some of his his family. But it just dawned on me that I don’t know if the marriage is legal in Canada or even how I would find that out, or if I have to register it ..... Does anyone know? I’m a Canadian Citizen and a resident of Alberta if it makes a difference.

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
We were married in Brazil and when I asked here at the government agent office, I was told that if the marriage is legal where it takes place then it is legal and valid in Canada, no registration required.

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
Thank you to everyone for offering advice!
I print screened 48 emails from my facebook account between my husband and I, basically I did 2 emails a month for the 2 years we have been together. I got a quote to have them translated from Albanian – English and apparently it costs $4800 - $5000+ (I got the quotes from a couple separate companies) .... Now my dilemma is that between being the only income, paying for the visa itself, an immigration lawyer, and my monthly expenses obviously $4800 is out of the question. What are my options? Is there a way to find out if I NEED to translate them, or if the visa office in Rome has a person who speaks/reads Albanian?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
katie3234 said:
Thank you to everyone for offering advice!
I print screened 48 emails from my facebook account between my husband and I, basically I did 2 emails a month for the 2 years we have been together. I got a quote to have them translated from Albanian – English and apparently it costs $4800 - $5000+ (I got the quotes from a couple separate companies) .... Now my dilemma is that between being the only income, paying for the visa itself, an immigration lawyer, and my monthly expenses obviously $4800 is out of the question. What are my options? Is there a way to find out if I NEED to translate them, or if the visa office in Rome has a person who speaks/reads Albanian?
I recommend (personal opinion) that you skip the immigration lawyer. Most people on here have suggested that they are a waste of time. We used an immigration lawyer when I moved to the US and I think that was a waste of time. It only took me a few (solid) hours of time to complete the documents... and collecting the evidence was something I would have had to do regardless of a lawyer.

From everything that I have read, and immigration lawyer is only necessary for complex cases - cases that have weird or unusual circumstances.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you could afford it, $5000 would NOT be money well-spent. :eek:

You do not need to have emails professionally translated. You only need to have official documents like the police certificate professionally translated. It's fine to just translate a selection of the emails yourself. Then include a print screen of your inbox to show how frequently you email. I don't know of anything specifically written on this subject from CIC's part, but there are MANY people on this board that have translated emails themselves without issue. Just do a search through some of the old messages.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Here's an idea.

Translate the selected emails yourself, then get a translator to glance at a random selection, then write a letter certifying that the translations are reasonably representative of the ALbanian text. That should reduce the cost considerably.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
katie3234 said:
I print screened 48 emails from my facebook account between my husband and I, basically I did 2 emails a month for the 2 years we have been together. I got a quote to have them translated from Albanian – English and apparently it costs $4800 - $5000+ .. What are my options? Is there a way to find out if I NEED to translate them, or if the visa office in Rome has a person who speaks/reads Albanian?
Basically, if you are using them as evidence, they have to be translated. The visa office in Roma probably doesn't have someone who reads Albanian, and even if they did, documents still have to be translated.
However, you do not need to get emails professionally translated. A notarized translation from a professional translator is necessary for official docs, not letters or emails you are using as evidence of a genuine relationship.
Just do it yourself, or get a friend to help. You can still include a statement from the translator that it is an accurate translation and describing his/her/your qualifications. You can also do it yourself and get a notary who knows Albanian and English to look it over and notarize it.

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
Perfect! So I would be able to enlist a friend or someone to do the translations for me, and not bother with a certified translator or anything like that? And it’s not necessary to have them notarized, unless I choose to have it done? Just want to make sure I completely understand. As long as the emails are in English everything is fine, nobody cares how they get translated into English – they just have to be in English.