+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
BTW for immigrants waiting for any LOCAL ID, don't get a photo card...as - To apply for an Ontario photo card, you must be a non-driving resident of Ontario, 16 years of age and over. If you have a driver's licence, you must surrender your driver's licence in order to apply for a photo card. Your Driver's licence will be cancelled.

G1 Card is better than Ontario Photo Card.
G1 Exam is super easy.

Wait for drivetest to open....

Reactions: Islander216

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Moreover ServiceOntario branches are closed, so much for applying for OHIP....

Anyone tried registering for OHIP on call?
Service Canada does SIN

re OHIP..thats Service Ontario. You have to go in person. they've waived the 3 mos waiting time.
i applied 2d ago in ottawa. got temp paper until card comes in mail. only 2 in all of ottawa open with restricted times. long line outside.
you have to had been in Canada for over 14 days. fill out/print form on their website and see the 3 different forms of documentation needed.
scroll to bottom on link below to see all ontario ones open https://www.ontario.ca/page/serviceontario-centre-closures

Last edited:

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
When you did the OHIP card registration, the address area matters, as the general physician belongs to that area... from what I know...

for example, my friend lives in Brampton, but I plan to live in Mississauga, and I give the Brampton friend's address on OHIP card for priting and post delivery... when I fall sick....the doctor (General Physician) will be from Brampton area only? Means... I will have to travel from Mississauga to Brampton... ouch

So should I wait to move to mississauga, get the mississauga address and then get OHIP card on Mississauga address?

Or get an OHIP card for an area (example - Brampton) that i do not plan to live in near future?

PLEASE HELP & SUGGEST!

As I have not applied for OHIP card as yet...
ontario health card does not have address on it. when you move, you have to let govt know within 6d. they send you a new license for free and update the health record (no new health card)

Sayantan86

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
@Sayantan86 - That is wonderful! Congratulations - My case is sadly stuck... as after getting G1 on 13th March my date for G2 was fixed for may but now I have extended it to June as I need more on-road practice once lockdown gets over... No instructor is taking classes for April...

Please let me know the tentative date when you passed G exam and date when you got the card delivered via canada post.

I thought since 'drivetest' centres are closed, they must have paused card production.. perhaps card production is on....

Also mention your city & province pls... Thanks a ton ;)
Test done on 20 Mar, Card delivered on 6 Apr. Province Ontario, City Kitchener/Waterloo.

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Service Canada does SIN

re OHIP..thats Service Ontario. You have to go in person. they've waived the 3 mos waiting time.
i applied 2d ago in ottawa. got temp paper until card comes in mail. only 2 in all of ottawa open with restricted times. long line outside.
you have to had been in Canada for over 14 days. fill out/print form on their website and see the 3 different forms of documentation needed.
scroll to bottom on link below to see all ontario ones open https://www.ontario.ca/page/serviceontario-centre-closures
Good for you. What did you provide for proof of address? Bank statements take more than a month after opening. Is there an alternative?

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Good for you. What did you provide for proof of address? Bank statements take more than a month after opening. Is there an alternative?
I applied for SIN in office before closures. they did not ask for proof of address in person. Perhaps new precaution with it being online.
However, I am lucky that i converted to G license before all this and it has since come in the mail. Used that for OHIP. Usually there's a 3 mos lag before you get OHIP so I imagine it hasn't been an issue in the past.

Someone above suggested renting a UPS mailbox. they give an actual street address, not a po box and will likely give proof of address.
Or have you obtained a lease? auto insurance? See full list of acceptable docs on their website. Otherwise, you'll likely have to wait until you get a statement.

Last edited:

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Service Canada does SIN

Such good information! thanks a ton @Ctv92 - So I stay in mississauga, and I can see that 1151 Dundas Street W (inside Westdale Mall) branch is open for OHIP card first time issue for New PR.

Can i just walk in with my -

1. Completed OHIP Card Application Form
2. Original Paper G1 License (still waiting for Plastic Card to be delivered)
3. Original COPR
4. Original Passport

Walk-in, apply for OHIP card and get the paper card printout in hand, and plastic card can be delivered later?

Let me know and I shall go...

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Such good information! thanks a ton @Ctv92 - So I stay in mississauga, and I can see that 1151 Dundas Street W (inside Westdale Mall) branch is open for OHIP card first time issue for New PR.

Can i just walk in with my -

1. Completed OHIP Card Application Form
2. Original Paper G1 License (still waiting for Plastic Card to be delivered)
3. Original COPR
4. Original Passport

Walk-in, apply for OHIP card and get the paper card printout in hand, and plastic card can be delivered later?

Let me know and I shall go...
Once you see that a location is open from previous link, then go to https://www.services.gov.on.ca/sf/#/oneServiceDetail/11282/ip/ls type in location address and scroll down to see limited hours. I got there 9:50a, they opened at 10 and there were ~20ish people already in line outside. Waited 1h30mins as they were enforcing social distancing measures.

Re "temporary driver’s licence- only if accompanied by photo licence card with the same address"
See https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card
You'll have to wait for plastic license unless you have some other accepted document as proof of address

They print out a transaction record paper. With proper ID, it works as a health card until actual card comes in mail.

Last edited:

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Once you see that a location is open from previous link, then go to https://www.services.gov.on.ca/sf/#/oneServiceDetail/11282/ip/ls type in location address and scroll down to see limited hours. I got there 9:50a, they opened at 10 and there were ~20ish people already in line outside. Waited 1h30mins as they were enforcing social distancing measures.

Re "temporary driver’s licence- only if accompanied by photo licence card with the same address"
See https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card
You'll have to wait for plastic license unless you have some other accepted document as proof of address

They print out a transaction record paper. With proper ID, it works as a health card until actual card comes in mail.
Hey @Ctv92 - Big thanks for the detailed info once again... Yes I shall wait for the photo license plastic card to arrive via post and then go to this centre in westdale mall.
Timings are 9 to 4 so I should be there by 8:30...

I am glad you have your tings sorted... all these cards and stuff...

***My wishes go out to march 2020 PR's who are still figuring their things out - WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!***

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Landed at Vancouver International Airport on 3/16/2020
Status turned to submitted on 4/6/2020
Still waiting for PR card

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Does anyone know if we'll be needing our copy of COPR's after landing in Canada? As there is an expiration on it, I was wondering if this paper could still be used after it being expired. Many thanks.

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Does anyone know if we'll be needing our copy of COPR's after landing in Canada? As there is an expiration on it, I was wondering if this paper could still be used after it being expired. Many thanks.
I believe you'll need it if you want to apply for citizenship. Even if it has an expiry date, keep it.

Reactions: Jane2019

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Keep your COPR very well, it is basically your only proof of status in Canada until you get your PR card.

And you can use it to apply for many things such as a SIN number and health insurance card.