20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Anvatrix said:
So does it mean that now we should wait for the Third (aka Final) reading at the Senate of the Bill C-6?
Next step is the third reading stage. This is when amendments are voted to add to the bill. If amendments are passed, then the bill passed third reading and sent to HofC for voting on amended bill. If the amendments are not passed, then the bill get passed as is at third reading. Then it goes to HofC to receive royal ascent.

Anvatrix

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
screech339 said:
Next step is the third reading stage. This is when amendments are voted to add to the bill. If amendments are passed, then the bill passed third reading and sent to HofC for voting on amended bill. If the amendments are not passed, then the bill get passed as is at third reading. Then it goes to HofC to receive royal ascent.
Thank you for such a detailed clarification. I am wondering what timeframe are we looking at approximately for this Bill C-6 to become law? Another 6 months, a year?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Anvatrix said:
Thank you for such a detailed clarification. I am wondering what timeframe are we looking at approximately for this Bill C-6 to become law? Another 6 months, a year?
That is something we all cannot answer. Some parts of the bill will become law at royal ascent. Other parts i.e. 3/5 rule change won't happen at royal ascent. That part takes some time to implement. To update forms, online calculator, retraining of staff, etc, etc.

Hitchhiker40

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
screech339 said:
That is something we all cannot answer. Some parts of the bill will become law at royal ascent. Other parts i.e. 3/5 rule change won't happen at royal ascent. That part takes some time to implement. To update forms, online calculator, retraining of staff, etc, etc.
The removal of "Intent to reside" clause will be implemented at the time of royal ascent. I wonder if or not they will be updating the application form at the time of royal ascent to remove the part where applicant has to provide the intent.

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
Hitchhiker40 said:
The removal of "Intent to reside" clause will be implemented at the time of royal ascent. I wonder if or not they will be updating the application form at the time of royal ascent to remove the part where applicant has to provide the intent.
Is it specified in the bill that the removal of "intent to reside" clause will definitely be implemented at royal ascent?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hitchhiker40 said:
The likely answer is No. Unless they want to update the application forms twice. One for removal of "intend to reside" on application and again to reflect new 3/5 rule. Something I don't think they will do.

alfa2204

Oct 31, 2012
screech339 said:
Next step is the third reading stage. This is when amendments are voted to add to the bill.
- If amendments are passed, then the bill passed third reading and sent to HofC for voting on amended bill.
- If the amendments are not passed, then the bill get passed as is at third reading. Then it goes to HofC to receive royal ascent.
I don't understand this procedure.
If the bill get passed regardless of the third reading result, why do they need to do the third reading?

Danielehi

Aug 15, 2012
I quite often check this forum. Thanks everyone.

I am particularly interested in having information like:

- Next Step:......
- Date:.....

And, if possible, information on when the Bill is foreseen to take effect.

Needless to say that I am one of those victims stuck in the transition - got penalized by bill 24, and now - waiting to have this (BTW, electoral promise) implemented.

D

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Danielehi said:
I quite often check this forum. Thanks everyone.

I am particularly interested in having information like:

- Next Step:......
- Date:.....

And, if possible, information on when the Bill is foreseen to take effect.

Needless to say that I am one of those victims stuck in the transition - got penalized by bill 24, and now - waiting to have this (BTW, electoral promise) implemented.

D
So I gather that Bill C-6 is now through the committee stage, with no amendments having been made (so it's apparently not going to have to go back down to the Commons), but with three "observations" having been made by the SOCI Cmte. C-6 may come up in tomorrow's Senate session, when senators can speak ro the Bill for/against, & it could actually pass Third Reading possibly as soon as tomorrow, Tuesday March 7th. If so, we'll all be celebrating in about 24 hours' time.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
elie72 said:
Is it specified in the bill that the removal of "intent to reside" clause will definitely be implemented at royal ascent?
It will definitely be implemented at royal assent, as the coming into force of subsection 1(5) of the bill which will repeal paragraph 5(1)(c1) of the Act is not deferred to an Order-in-Council. But you needn't worry too much about it because the transitional provisions of the bill are going to protect all previous applicants by stating that the "intention to reside" obligation will be "deemed never to have applied" to the applicants.

P.S.: It's Royal "Assent", not "ascent"! ;)

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
ChippyBoy said:
So I gather that Bill C-6 is now through the committee stage, with no amendments having been made (so it's apparently not going to have to go back down to the Commons), but with three "observations" having been made by the SOCI Cmte. C-6 may come up in tomorrow's Senate session, when senators can speak ro the Bill for/against, & it could actually pass Third Reading possibly as soon as tomorrow, Tuesday March 7th. If so, we'll all be celebrating in about 24 hours' time.
No my friend, that's not true. There will be amendments but at the report stage, by the Senate as a whole, prior to the bill's third reading.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sen. Ratna Omidvar‏Verified account @ratnaomi 3h3 hours ago
More
C6 coming back to Senate today with report from Committee. It will be read for the third time tomorrow. #citizenship #immigrants

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
jsm0085 said:
Sen. Ratna Omidvar‏Verified account @ratnaomi 3h3 hours ago
More
C6 coming back to Senate today with report from Committee. It will be read for the third time tomorrow. #citizenship #immigrants
That s good news. Have you any sources for this news?

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
It's been confirmed now at today's sitting; they adopted the report from committee and moved to 3rd reading at the next sitting of the house, presumably tomorrow !!