+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Till how long is a COPR typically valid?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
please help with response on below.
if my COPR is valid till August 2019, and I make a soft landing in first week of March 2019. I stay in Canada for one week and leave Canada for my home country. Can I return to canada by 3rd week of the same March 2019 using the same COPR?

how can i successfully return to canada by 3rd week of March without using land border through US and with no PRTD since it can hardly be processed within a week.
Why would you do a soft landing when you plan to return to Canada a few weeks later anyways??? That makes zero sense. Just land at the end of March.

Reemahabitat

Jun 1, 2018
Hello, I have a query.
My CoPR expires on 20 Sep 2019. Would it be safe to travel to canada for the first itme on Sep 1st? PR issuance will take a further 2-3 months. By that time my CoPR would be expired already. Would my stay, because of expired CoPR and pending PR, be illegal? Just trying to gain clarity so I dont make any mistakes. Will appreciate help.

Also any email address or contact number where I can get an official reply/acknowledgement on this?

Thanks for help!! Sorry I am alone so confused on things. Will appreciate help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, I have a query.
My CoPR expires on 20 Sep 2019. Would it be safe to travel to canada for the first itme on Sep 1st? PR issuance will take a further 2-3 months. By that time my CoPR would be expired already. Would my stay, because of expired CoPR and pending PR, be illegal? Just trying to gain clarity so I dont make any mistakes. Will appreciate help.

Also any email address or contact number where I can get an official reply/acknowledgement on this?

Once you land, you are a PR and the COPR expiry is irrelevant.

Aradhana Adhvaryu

Mar 28, 2018
Hello, I have a query.

You can land in sep, however It is a good idea if you can land ahead 1-2months before COPR expire.

I believe you are saying 2-3 months in context of getting PR card. Yes, it takes time but meanwhile you have your COPR which works as PR till you get PR card.

Yes, there are restruction for travelling without PR card - as an example if you visit other country without PR card you have to arrive BackCanada by road not by air.

Please let me know if you have any query.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can land in sep, however It is a good idea if you can land ahead 1-2months before COPR expire.

I believe you are saying 2-3 months in context of getting PR card. Yes, it takes time but meanwhile you have your COPR which works as PR till you get PR card.

Yes, there are restruction for travelling without PR card - as an example if you visit other country without PR card you have to arrive BackCanada by road not by air.

Please let me know if you have any query.
It is perfectly fine to land closer to the COPR expiry date.

namanshah80

May 7, 2019
I made my initial landing in March, 2018. My deadline to make the initial landing was in September 2018 so I fulfilled that. I left Canada after that to compete work in the US. I want to enter Canada through a US-Canada border in June 2019 in my private car. Can I still use the CoPR and my passport or do I need to have a PRTD?

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I made my initial landing in March, 2018. My deadline to make the initial landing was in September 2018 so I fulfilled that. I left Canada after that to compete work in the US. I want to enter Canada through a US-Canada border in June 2019 in my private car. Can I still use the CoPR and my passport or do I need to have a PRTD?
CoPR is ok, no need to apply for PRTD.

namanshah80

May 7, 2019
CoPR is ok, no need to apply for PRTD.
Thank you for your reply. I also managed to contact CIC via phone and they confirmed that I do not need PRTD if I am driving in my private vehicle. Also mentioned that both CoPR and landing document does not have any expiry date. Moreover, they sent an email to me so I can use it in case I get in trouble. I am attaching the email here so it benefits others as well-

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Permanent residents outside Canada

If you are a permanent resident outside Canada and you are planning on returning to Canada:

• On a commercial carrier (plane, boat, train or bus):
  • Aboard a private vehicle:
    • it is not necessary to have the PR card with you,
    • you can use one of the following immigration documents:
      • Record of Landing (IMM 1000), or
      • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
If you are outside of Canada and do not have your PR card (or your card has expired):

If you are a new permanent resident of Canada, should you apply for a PR card?

• No, one will be sent to you automatically as part of the immigration process.

isreyes

Star Member
May 21, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, i just have some inquiry..

i have my copr valid until march next year (btw same date with the expiration of my medicals) and as everyone of you said, its ok to land a month before expiration. now my question is, my ielts is expiring this year, should i retake my ielts or it is no longer necessary as i already have my copr?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi everyone, i just have some inquiry..

i have my copr valid until march next year (btw same date with the expiration of my medicals) and as everyone of you said, its ok to land a month before expiration. now my question is, my ielts is expiring this year, should i retake my ielts or it is no longer necessary as i already have my copr?
You don't need to retake the IELTS - it only needs to be valid at the time of submission of your application. It can expire after that.

Reactions: isreyes