+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Till how long is a COPR typically valid?

PrachiHMehta

Jan 6, 2019
Hi. I have got my COPR with expiry date in April. I did my medicals in June last year. Technically I did not even get 1 full year after medicals.
My question is do I have to just land in Canada before the COPR expiry date right, and it's not necessary to leave Canada before that. I am just doing a soft landing now and would be returning to my home country in a week's time. I plan to have my PR card delivered to a relative in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi. I have got my COPR with expiry date in April. I did my medicals in June last year. Technically I did not even get 1 full year after medicals.
My question is do I have to just land in Canada before the COPR expiry date right, and it's not necessary to leave Canada before that. I am just doing a soft landing now and would be returning to my home country in a week's time. I plan to have my PR card delivered to a relative in Canada.
That's fine.

colcol

May 27, 2019
Hi, hoping for some help in interpreting my urgent situation, as it would determine if I should travel to Canada within the next weeks. Applied to FSW- outland on JUNE 29th 2019. I took my upfront medical exam on MAY 14th, 2019. Got "Medical passed" stage of my application on JULY 30th 2019. After a long time, my "You passed the medical exam" date got changed (in the MyCIC webpage) to FEBRUARY 20th 2020 and my Application was approved on MARCH 9th 2020. Both my COPR and Single entry Visa expire on FEBRUARY 18 2021. I'm currently planning when to travel to Canada.
Since I'm reading in many sources the whole "1 year after medicals" limit to land in Canada, my question is: which date, of the ones I mentioned is the one that determines the year? or does the COPR expiry date trump all the others (my common sense tells me this is the right option, but who knows :D)?
• Should I travel before one year from the Medical Exam date, therefore having to travel before May 14th, 2020? This means I should buy tickets, like, now!
• Should I travel before one year from the Original medical passed date, therefore having to travel before July 30th, 2020?
• Should I travel before one year from the Updated medical passed date, therefore having to travel before February 18th, 2020?
Your guidance will be truly appreciated. Thanks :D.

Aradhana Adhvaryu

Mar 28, 2018
Hi, hoping for some help in interpreting my urgent situation, as it would determine if I should travel to Canada within the next weeks. Applied to FSW- outland on JUNE 29th 2019. I took my upfront medical exam on MAY 14th, 2019. Got "Medical passed" stage of my application on JULY 30th 2019. After a long time, my "You passed the medical exam" date got changed (in the MyCIC webpage) to FEBRUARY 20th 2020 and my Application was approved on MARCH 9th 2020. Both my COPR and Single entry Visa expire on FEBRUARY 18 2021. I'm currently planning when to travel to Canada.
Since I'm reading in many sources the whole "1 year after medicals" limit to land in Canada, my question is: which date, of the ones I mentioned is the one that determines the year? or does the COPR expiry date trump all the others (my common sense tells me this is the right option, but who knows :D)?
• Should I travel before one year from the Medical Exam date, therefore having to travel before May 14th, 2020? This means I should buy tickets, like, now!
• Should I travel before one year from the Original medical passed date, therefore having to travel before July 30th, 2020?
• Should I travel before one year from the Updated medical passed date, therefore having to travel before February 18th, 2020?
Hi There, short and sweet answer to your question is you should enter before COPR which is 18th Feb 2021.regardless what your medical exam stands. You can carry all documents with you when you enter, but that doesn't matter when your medical exam expires. In my case it works out like that as I do have same question before

Aradhana Adhvaryu

Mar 28, 2018
Hi There, short and sweet answer to your question is you should enter before COPR which is 18th Feb 2021.regardless what your medical exam stands. You can carry all documents with you when you enter, but that doesn't matter when your medical exam expires. In my case it works out like that as I do have same question before
That medical certificate expire in a year, which mean that certificate is valid and active for year to submit and have COPR, not to count for entering country from the date it passed. I hope this information will help you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You were likely given an extension due to covid. No delay. Not need to spread the virus around, you’d have to go into 14 days of strict quarantine and there are very few employers hiring.

aditya_z

Nov 9, 2020
Hi People.. Would really appreciate your expertise and help. I completed my medical exam in Dec'19 and got a mail to send the passport on 27th Oct'20 for getting the COPR (my ideal decision date was Jul'20, but it got delayed due to COVID). Now I am in the process of sending my passport. My question, does anyone has any idea how long is the validity of COPR in Covid-times ? (in normal circumstances my COPR would be valid till Dec'20, but I got the decision late). Need sometime to plan my travel to Canada. So really want some idea for how long the COPR is valid post pandemic started?
Thanks.

Reactions: cecict

cecict

Jul 14, 2018
Hi People.. Would really appreciate your expertise and help. I completed my medical exam in Dec'19 and got a mail to send the passport on 27th Oct'20 for getting the COPR (my ideal decision date was Jul'20, but it got delayed due to COVID). Now I am in the process of sending my passport. My question, does anyone has any idea how long is the validity of COPR in Covid-times ? (in normal circumstances my COPR would be valid till Dec'20, but I got the decision late). Need sometime to plan my travel to Canada. So really want some idea for how long the COPR is valid post pandemic started?
Thanks.
I am in same situation. I have submitted the passport and waiting for stamping..
Did you submitted the passport ?

rbukka

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
I got passport request today for visa stamping and COPR. Can anyone let me know how long it may take for IRCC to send COPR & Passports back??