+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can provide some clarity for me about the police check for an NZ citizen.

Husband has lived in NZ for 8 out of the 13 years of his life since turning 18 and spent 4 years living in Melbourne and 1 in Canada.

He got a request for multiple police checks.

We're wondering if they still want a check from Australia.

We were under the impression that he only needs one for NZ since that is where he's lived most of his adult life.

Are we understanding this incorrectly?

Thanks

Police certificates
You (the principal applicant), and any family members 18 or older (who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents), must submit police certificates from the following country or countries with your application:

• The country where you (or they) currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more.
    and

• The country where you (or they) have spent most of your (their) life since the age of 18.

linnykez

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06/09/2017
Doc's Request.
15-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-10-2017
File Transfer...
06-11-2017
Med's Request
20-10-2017
Med's Done....
10-11-2017
Interview........
nil
Passport Req..
01-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2018
looking at the september spreadsheet im the only one who hasnt recieved my COPR after PPR req... mine has hit over 2 weeks... anyone from AUSTRALIA (syd) who has sent in their PP copy and not recieved anything back???

linnykez

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06/09/2017
Doc's Request.
15-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-10-2017
File Transfer...
06-11-2017
Med's Request
20-10-2017
Med's Done....
10-11-2017
Interview........
nil
Passport Req..
01-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2018
Hey guys,

So I got my PPR! Stoked.

Only issue that's popped up is the pre-paid self-addressed envelope from NZ-AUS-NZ.

NZ Post aren't much help and say Aussie post might not accept the kiwi stamp denomination. Anyone have a option for getting round this one?
hey when did u send off your PPR stuff?? and have u heard back yet??? it shows they recieved my documents on the 2/2/18 and i havent seen my return tracking number been used yet... looks like less then 2 weeks for the COPR after PPR but still nothing

kiwias

Feb 19, 2017
Yes he would need police clearance from the AFP - I was in the same boat and had to provide NZ & Australian police reports.

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can provide some clarity for me about the police check for an NZ citizen.

Husband has lived in NZ for 8 out of the 13 years of his life since turning 18 and spent 4 years living in Melbourne and 1 in Canada.

He got a request for multiple police checks.

We're wondering if they still want a check from Australia.

We were under the impression that he only needs one for NZ since that is where he's lived most of his adult life.

Are we understanding this incorrectly?

Thanks

Police certificates
You (the principal applicant), and any family members 18 or older (who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents), must submit police certificates from the following country or countries with your application:

• The country where you (or they) currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more.
    and

• The country where you (or they) have spent most of your (their) life since the age of 18.

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Yes he would need police clearance from the AFP - I was in the same boat and had to provide NZ & Australian police reports.

Did they ask you for both in that letter that was in your account or was the Australian one requested after sending the NZ one?

Also, I noticed that there is a UCI in the AOR email and a different UCI in that PC/Schedule A request letter. Is the one in the request letter for the PA? what is the UCI in the AOR email meant for?

dhvanixox

Star Member
Jul 29, 2017
Congrats. Please let us know how this whole prepaid courier thing works out. Have you emailed or called CIC Sydney to find out what previous applicants have used?

Hope to hear from you soon. I sent my NZ police background check on Monday so I'm hoping a few more weeks and its all done!
Hi James,

Have you heard anything since you submitted NZ police background check? My husband (PA) submitted his around the same time as you, and still no update from VO.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Can we submit my hubby's medicals upfront? My hubby has to do a medical check as part of the application process for his working holiday visa (I know normally you don't but there were reasons why he had to). We want to make sure we get his spousal application in before the medical check expires in a year. If we wait for the medical request to come in, it might be too late. Can we submit it upfront or if it's only a little bit off from the expiration date, will it still be accepted?

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
Can we submit my hubby's medicals upfront? My hubby has to do a medical check as part of the application process for his working holiday visa (I know normally you don't but there were reasons why he had to). We want to make sure we get his spousal application in before the medical check expires in a year. If we wait for the medical request to come in, it might be too late. Can we submit it upfront or if it's only a little bit off from the expiration date, will it still be accepted?
It's not about getting your application in before the medical expires, it's about entering the country as a perminent resident before it expires. I did my medical up front in june a month before submitting my application so I must enter Canada with my COPR by june (12 months after my medical). They tell you not to do it up front because if it's not processed quickly youll be up for another heap of cash for a new medical.
EDIT: If he will be in Canada when he applies for his PR, the medical is about a third of the cost there than it is to do it with those bupa thugs in Australia.

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Hi James,

Have you heard anything since you submitted NZ police background check? My husband (PA) submitted his around the same time as you, and still no update from VO.
Hey

I got an email on the 31st Jan saying they received my documents (background check etc) and would be in touch. Since then, nothing. I'm assuming sometime around end of March for an email or update. They seem to work in three month blocks.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
It's not about getting your application in before the medical expires, it's about entering the country as a perminent resident before it expires. I did my medical up front in june a month before submitting my application so I must enter Canada with my COPR by june (12 months after my medical). They tell you not to do it up front because if it's not processed quickly youll be up for another heap of cash for a new medical.
EDIT: If he will be in Canada when he applies for his PR, the medical is about a third of the cost there than it is to do it with those bupa thugs in Australia.
Oh! Thanks then. It's gonna cost us $600 to do it at BUPA and we don't really wanna shell out for another medical. However, if it's gonna be a lot cheaper than doing it at BUPA then we'll bite the bullet on it when the time comes. He will be in Canada during the PR process. I'm moving over first to establish residency then he will join me in a few months on a working holiday visa so that he can work before his OWP gets issued. We're super excited.

I have another question to ask. If I get pregnant after launching our application, he will have to send a message to CIC to declare the pregnancy? I'm the sponsor and the child will be born in Canada if it happens so the child won't be a dependent of his when it comes to the application. I assume that we will still be obligated to tell CIC about it.

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
No worries. One more thing: You were saying before that he needs a medical for his IEC visa, if that is because he is planning on working in the health field make sure you tell bupa that when he gets to the medical centre as I needed an additional blood test (which bumped it up from $600 to $750). I have no idea if they just say that to score another $150 though.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
No worries. One more thing: You were saying before that he needs a medical for his IEC visa, if that is because he is planning on working in the health field make sure you tell bupa that when he gets to the medical centre as I needed an additional blood test (which bumped it up from $600 to $750). I have no idea if they just say that to score another $150 though.
Hubby had a medical incident a few years back which meant that he couldn't work for an extended period of time. I assume that the medical check is to make sure he won't be a burden on the canadian health care system. He's fully recovered since then so there shouldn't be much of an issue in getting issued his visa.

itsmubi

Aug 2, 2015
Australia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Doc's Request.
29-11-2017
Nomination.....
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
27-10-2017
Med's Done....
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
29-01-2018
looking at the september spreadsheet im the only one who hasnt recieved my COPR after PPR req... mine has hit over 2 weeks... anyone from AUSTRALIA (syd) who has sent in their PP copy and not recieved anything back???
Hey,
have you heard anything back from them? i handed over my PP to vfs on 2nd Feb and that tracking showed on 5th that application is being processed at Canada Visa Office, Sydney.
no update yet

linnykez

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06/09/2017
Doc's Request.
15-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-10-2017
File Transfer...
06-11-2017
Med's Request
20-10-2017
Med's Done....
10-11-2017
Interview........
nil
Passport Req..
01-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2018
Hey,
have you heard anything back from them? i handed over my PP to vfs on 2nd Feb and that tracking showed on 5th that application is being processed at Canada Visa Office, Sydney.
no update yet
nop nothing as yet :(

dhvanixox

Star Member
Jul 29, 2017
Hey

I got an email on the 31st Jan saying they received my documents (background check etc) and would be in touch. Since then, nothing. I'm assuming sometime around end of March for an email or update. They seem to work in three month blocks.
Hey

yeah we received that email as well. March end, eh? that sucks -_-
Thanks for your reply!