+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Typically your VO is the primary applicants nearest VO. For example my VO is Sydney as I'm from NZ and I'm the primary applicant. There's multi posts about why some go to Mississauga and others go to your nearest VO. Some say due to workload at Mississauga they may take on more applications there instead of sending them to say the Sydney VO that may have a lot of applications to process and vise versa. I've found the process with Sydney to be pretty good so far. They have up to a year to process the application and I'm currently waiting for them to process my BGC and I applied in July.

In terms of faster than the other? More staff work at the VO in Mississauga than in Sydney but Sydney knows more about New Zealand and things are quicker to send to them such as documents and passports so its really just one of those "no better than the other"
Thanks for your reply. Things sound like they are moving along nicely for you, all the best for your application! :)

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
My husband and I were in the similar position. He is on his second IEC (they no longer let you extend it but luckily they did up until a couple years ago), and now we applied back in June for PR through outland as we're both living in Canada and he already has a work permit thru IEC so hoping that outland is faster. Also regarding health coverage - if your boyfriend is planning to get a job when in Canada, he may be eligible for provincial health coverage. We live in ON and my hubby qualified for OHIP once he had a full time job. He just had to go to Service Ontario office with his letter from his employer and his passport and he has an OHIP card that expires when his Visa expires. I wish we'd known this going in as I would've tried to find a health insurance that we could've potentially cancelled for a refund. Anyways, just speaking from experience. If you have any questions just let me know! It's been a whirlwind of immigration stuff but this forum is super helpful!!
No Way!! I wish I had have known that at the time. I would have saved so much money on travel insurance the while I was there.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I just thought of another question for all you smart people out there. Is the marriage certificate that we got right after the ceremony enough for the Canadian government when we apply for spousal sponsorship? I know it's possible to order another certificate from the Australian government. It looks different from the certificate that we got right after the ceremony. Is that the one we should be sending in?

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
I just thought of another question for all you smart people out there. Is the marriage certificate that we got right after the ceremony enough for the Canadian government when we apply for spousal sponsorship? I know it's possible to order another certificate from the Australian government. It looks different from the certificate that we got right after the ceremony. Is that the one we should be sending in?
The one you're given on the day of your wedding is just for show. You need to go online and order the official marriage certificate for your PR app. We got married in SA and ordered online, think we got it within a week. Make sure you double check for typos, I had to send it back TWICE before they changed CANADIA to CANADA for my citizenship lol.

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
Thanks for your response, that is strange and confusing, so I guess it's just random with no rhyme or reason to it.

Would you mind sharing your timeline please? I've just recently sent mine and was recived Dec 27
App rec'd: 30-June-2017

AOR1: 31-July-2017

Linked to GC Key: 06-Aug-2017

File transfer (aka msg it’s staying in Mississauga): 29-Aug-2017

(note that we included police checks with our application)

Meds Request: 02-Sept-2017

22-Dec-2017 - recd letter via email that we’re being sent to Sydney VO for further processing

04-Jan-2018- recd letter from Sydney saying they’re processing our application and our ECAS got the third line

If anyone else there has had anything similar happen please let me know, I feel like we're the weird exception lol! It makes me a bit nervous..

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.

98treasures

Jan 8, 2018
Hi,

We got a similar timeline. My mate with similar situation took 9 months from start to finished but they lodged their application October 2016. He’s now in Canada but processed here in Sydney,

App rec'd: 04 July 2017
AOR1: 04 August 2017
Started processing application: 3Aug 2017
CIC sent 1st Meds Request (which we never received): 15 Aug 2017
2nd Meds Request: 3 October 2017

20 October 2017 - recd letter via email that we’re being sent to Sydney VO for further processing

AOR2: 06 Nov 2017

15 Nov 2017- recd letter from Sydney saying they’re processing our application and our ECAS got the 4th line Meds results received

No new Ecas update to date yet, still waiting for PPR hopefully soon. Please let me know once you get yours. Best of luck!

Andy416

Nov 10, 2017
How long does it take for the Passport Request email to come? My wife had her interview on November 29th, 2017. ECAS has updated to decision made mycic still shows background check in Progress. My wife is an Indian Citizen residing in Australia and is currently working in Australia on a work Visa. We are planning to go to India in March to attend her cousins wedding and then hopefully come back to Canada together if her PR Visa comes within that timeframe. I am a Canadian Citizen by birth and the Application date was March 28, 2017 from Canada. I think at this time I should spend the $5 and order the GCMS notes. I will also try contacting the local MP for any further updates from IRCC. What is the average wait time for PPR? I know our situation is unique because it is an Indian Citizen going through the Sydney Australia Visa Office. Thanks

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Does anyone know if there is there a WhatsApp group for applications being processed through Sydney, Australia?

If not, would people on here find it useful if I created one? I would find it useful to communicate about processing times, issues, etc.

I would find it useful as well! Lets hope for one to be created

KiwiNate

May 20, 2017
New Zealand
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
18-04-2017
Hey guys,

So I got my PPR! Stoked.

Only issue that's popped up is the pre-paid self-addressed envelope from NZ-AUS-NZ.

NZ Post aren't much help and say Aussie post might not accept the kiwi stamp denomination. Anyone have a option for getting round this one?

Reactions: James_NZ1

98treasures

Jan 8, 2018
Congratulations! That’s great! Maybe try courier prepaid? When did u apply? Is your timeline in the thread? Ours was July 2017. Thanks for your update

KiwiNate

May 20, 2017
New Zealand
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
18-04-2017
Congratulations! That’s great! Maybe try courier prepaid? When did u apply? Is your timeline in the thread? Ours was July 2017. Thanks for your update
I can't use an aussie courier to send from nz and I can't use a kiwi courier to send from Aus....

I'm a May applicant. Took a bit longer as I needed RCMP clearance due to working holiday visa 9 years ago. Added a month to the process. If you're July and you only have Aussie criminal check you won't be far away from PPR.

Pretty keen to send my docs away to get PR confirmed and in the bag!

98treasures

Jan 8, 2018
Thanks for your reply. Do you have a friend in Aus that can send it for you? Send it to him, he buy the prepaid courier in Aus include it the package to send it back to NZ.

KiwiNate

May 20, 2017
New Zealand
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
18-04-2017
Thanks for your reply. Do you have a friend in Aus that can send it for you? Send it to him, he buy the prepaid courier in Aus include it the package to send it back to NZ.
I do have friends in Australia but given how important this document is, I'd rather not take the risk....

After many calls and emails, the good people at TNT couriers can do this from here in Wellington but you have to physically go into the branch (Jarden Mile, Ngauranga) so they can process the return envelope that needs to be included when you send your docs. Will update to confirm.

Last edited: