+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
Yes australia is a visa exempt country. How long will it take for the OWP to be issued? It means that he will be able to work while waiting for the visa to be processed?
Hi Sulwyn,
I don't believe the above poster is correct unless your boyfriend has worker status in Canada when he arrives. If you go as a tourist he can stay indefinitely if you can prove he has sufficent funds to stay but if he has no worker status so he can't work. If he is under ?30 and hasn't had it before, he could get an IEC permit which allows him to work in Canada, once there he could apply inland as long as you guys can prove you have lived together for 12 months. Keep in mind though he has to have travel insurance for that period as he won't receive Canadian healthcare with an IEC. As for having it all done by May, Im currently in the process so looking at my time frames I cant imagine at all that it would all be complete by May.
Cheers

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I am currently reading up about working holiday visas in Canada but I am wondering if that could be the solution to our problem. My husband is 26 years old right now and can 100% qualify for a working holiday visa. Would it be possible for him to apply for a working holiday visa then move to canada on it and get a job. Then once he's in canada, apply for an inland sponsorship. Or we do outland after his working holiday visa gets approved and complete the outland sponsorship in canada. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
Yes australia is a visa exempt country. How long will it take for the OWP to be issued? It means that he will be able to work while waiting for the visa to be processed?
I am currently reading up about working holiday visas in Canada but I am wondering if that could be the solution to our problem. My husband is 26 years old right now and can 100% qualify for a working holiday visa. Would it be possible for him to apply for a working holiday visa then move to canada on it and get a job. Then once he's in canada, apply for an inland sponsorship. Or we do outland after his working holiday visa gets approved and complete the outland sponsorship in canada. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks
The IEC I mentioned is the working holiday visa. It's super easy and quick to get and unless things are changed, Australia has unlimited IEC permits allocated and we can have it for two years giving you plenty of time. Just as I said earlier, be aware he wont have health coverage or be able to take any uni/college courses unless he pays full international fee. Below is a link to another topic on the forum, 4th post from the bottom is worth reading:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-sponsorship-while-on-iec-working-holiday-visa.469603/

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
The IEC I mentioned is the working holiday visa. It's super easy and quick to get and unless things are changed, Australia has unlimited IEC permits allocated and we can have it for two years giving you plenty of time. Just as I said earlier, be aware he wont have health coverage or be able to take any uni/college courses unless he pays full international fee. Below is a link to another topic on the forum, 4th post from the bottom is worth reading:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-sponsorship-while-on-iec-working-holiday-visa.469603/
Thank you so much mike. This is a HUGE relief to both of us. It seems like this is the route we'll be going then. I am gonna go look into travel insurance coverage for him now since it seems to be a mandatory part of the IEC application. Our next biggest concern will be getting enough proof to convince the Canadian that we are in this for real and not just for the PR. We're gonna be taking lots of pictures with friends and family from now on.

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
Thank you so much mike. This is a HUGE relief to both of us. It seems like this is the route we'll be going then. I am gonna go look into travel insurance coverage for him now since it seems to be a mandatory part of the IEC application. Our next biggest concern will be getting enough proof to convince the Canadian that we are in this for real and not just for the PR. We're gonna be taking lots of pictures with friends and family from now on.
No worries. Plenty of good reading on this forum for PR applications. A few things that would have helped me in hindsight though: Have a really good look through the PR document checklist at everything you will need and how you will satisfy each part. Things take longer to organise than you think. Biggest part is to make sure you have solid proof you have lived together 12 months too. IE both be on the lease, have letters written from whoever you were living with or whatever. Also put both names on utility bills. If you set it all up sooner rather than later, come applying it will be much smoother.
IMPORTANT: I needed a traffic history report that you get from the transport office. For PR you can get this online at the time youre applying (atleast from QLD transport), takes a couple of days BUT for getting his drivers license: to get an Ontario license I needed a QLD traffic history that was signed by the transport department, this can only happen if you get it in person at the transport department not online so make sure he gets this before he leaves for canada. It must have a signature at the bottom from the person issuing the report. I bought a car, they wouldn't let me take it home until I had insurance, I couldnt buy insurance until I had a license, and I couldn't get a license until I had a signed report from QLD transport. BIG mess so heads up so you can avoid it haha. Best of luck with the move!

Reactions: KiwiNate

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017

My husband and I were in the similar position. He is on his second IEC (they no longer let you extend it but luckily they did up until a couple years ago), and now we applied back in June for PR through outland as we're both living in Canada and he already has a work permit thru IEC so hoping that outland is faster. Also regarding health coverage - if your boyfriend is planning to get a job when in Canada, he may be eligible for provincial health coverage. We live in ON and my hubby qualified for OHIP once he had a full time job. He just had to go to Service Ontario office with his letter from his employer and his passport and he has an OHIP card that expires when his Visa expires. I wish we'd known this going in as I would've tried to find a health insurance that we could've potentially cancelled for a refund. Anyways, just speaking from experience. If you have any questions just let me know! It's been a whirlwind of immigration stuff but this forum is super helpful!!

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
My husband and I were in the similar position. He is on his second IEC (they no longer let you extend it but luckily they did up until a couple years ago), and now we applied back in June for PR through outland as we're both living in Canada and he already has a work permit thru IEC so hoping that outland is faster. Also regarding health coverage - if your boyfriend is planning to get a job when in Canada, he may be eligible for provincial health coverage. We live in ON and my hubby qualified for OHIP once he had a full time job. He just had to go to Service Ontario office with his letter from his employer and his passport and he has an OHIP card that expires when his Visa expires. I wish we'd known this going in as I would've tried to find a health insurance that we could've potentially cancelled for a refund. Anyways, just speaking from experience. If you have any questions just let me know! It's been a whirlwind of immigration stuff but this forum is super helpful!!
As far as I know, the default for the IEC working holiday visa is 2 years so my hubby (we got married about 2 wees ago :D) and I were planning on him going over on the working holiday visa and then after about 9 months to a year, apply for inland sponsorship with an open work permit. We want to use the time to build up more proof for the spousal sponsorship. Can he apply for outland sponsorship while living in Canada?

Thank you for the information about OHIP. We are moving to Mississauga as I have family there so that information regarding OHIP is extremely useful for us.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked already but just want to know is there a possibility that the VO might not be Sydney but stay at Mississauga the whole way? Is one faster than the other?

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
As far as I know, the default for the IEC working holiday visa is 2 years so my hubby (we got married about 2 wees ago :D) and I were planning on him going over on the working holiday visa and then after about 9 months to a year, apply for inland sponsorship with an open work permit. We want to use the time to build up more proof for the spousal sponsorship. Can he apply for outland sponsorship while living in Canada?

Thank you for the information about OHIP. We are moving to Mississauga as I have family there so that information regarding OHIP is extremely useful for us.
You can apply outland whether you live in Canada or not. It just means that you cannot apply for open work permit at the same time. Also, it means that your PR will be processed in Sydney (theoretically) once the sponsor is approved. Our case was sort of weird and they processed our app in mississauga for the past 5 months and now it just was sent to Sydney. We got married very quickly after we met so we lived together in Canada with him working with the IEC permit, same reason as you, we just wanted more proof of our relationship. :) Sounds like you're all organized though!! Hope it all goes smoothly!

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
You can apply outland whether you live in Canada or not. It just means that you cannot apply for open work permit at the same time. Also, it means that your PR will be processed in Sydney (theoretically) once the sponsor is approved. Our case was sort of weird and they processed our app in mississauga for the past 5 months and now it just was sent to Sydney. We got married very quickly after we met so we lived together in Canada with him working with the IEC permit, same reason as you, we just wanted more proof of our relationship. :) Sounds like you're all organized though!! Hope it all goes smoothly!
Oh! That's really good to know. He can continue working on his working holiday visa even if we apply outland? We're hoping the whole process won't take longer than a year if we go the outland route as we want to apply while he still has time on his WHV.

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
Oh! That's really good to know. He can continue working on his working holiday visa even if we apply outland? We're hoping the whole process won't take longer than a year if we go the outland route as we want to apply while he still has time on his WHV.
Yes your IEC work permit is totally separate from an Outland application. The two don't effect each other at all so he can work on the IEC work permit until he's got his PR card as long as it's done before it expires. Our app was received on June 30 and I think we're nearly done. It's in Sydney now and based on the trends on the forum I would expect us to get Decision Made/PPR (passport request) within the next month, but honestly who knows lol. All in the all they do tell you that the aim is for most of apps to be processed within a year and a lot are processed in and around the 6 month mark.

michlish

Oct 22, 2015
Ottawa,Canada
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked already but just want to know is there a possibility that the VO might not be Sydney but stay at Mississauga the whole way? Is one faster than the other?
Yes there are some that were supposed to be processed thru Sydney VO but ended up staying in Mississauga. Our case was in that situation until this week. We got a letter via email back in August saying that our application was going to be processed in Mississauga (this was after our Sponsor Approval, Police Checks etc). So we thought we were being totally processed there. Then this week we got another letter saying we've been sent to Sydney VO for processing and we got our third line on ECAS. ECAS has said in progress for approx 3 weeks I believe. It's pretty confusing. GC KEY has said Back ground check being processed for at least a month. My hope is that it's being sent to Sydney for them to do our PPR since I have read that Mississauga doesnt issue those but I am honestly not completely sure. Mississauga doing the actual processing is a very new thing as far as I understand.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Yes there are some that were supposed to be processed thru Sydney VO but ended up staying in Mississauga. Our case was in that situation until this week. We got a letter via email back in August saying that our application was going to be processed in Mississauga (this was after our Sponsor Approval, Police Checks etc). So we thought we were being totally processed there. Then this week we got another letter saying we've been sent to Sydney VO for processing and we got our third line on ECAS. ECAS has said in progress for approx 3 weeks I believe. It's pretty confusing. GC KEY has said Back ground check being processed for at least a month. My hope is that it's being sent to Sydney for them to do our PPR since I have read that Mississauga doesnt issue those but I am honestly not completely sure. Mississauga doing the actual processing is a very new thing as far as I understand.

Thanks for your response, that is strange and confusing, so I guess it's just random with no rhyme or reason to it.

Would you mind sharing your timeline please? I've just recently sent mine and was recived Dec 27

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Hi all,

Typically your VO is the primary applicants nearest VO. For example my VO is Sydney as I'm from NZ and I'm the primary applicant. There's multi posts about why some go to Mississauga and others go to your nearest VO. Some say due to workload at Mississauga they may take on more applications there instead of sending them to say the Sydney VO that may have a lot of applications to process and vise versa. I've found the process with Sydney to be pretty good so far. They have up to a year to process the application and I'm currently waiting for them to process my BGC and I applied in July.

In terms of faster than the other? More staff work at the VO in Mississauga than in Sydney but Sydney knows more about New Zealand and things are quicker to send to them such as documents and passports so its really just one of those "no better than the other"

WorkerInCanada123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
I just got an email that our application is being sent to Sydney, Australia. Submitted in November, and received AOR before Christmas. Am hoping things go smoothly and efficiently with this VO!

Does anyone have a recent timeline with this VO they would care to share?

Thank you and good luck to everyone!