+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The Outland Sponsorship Process

m3anFl0w3r

Jul 17, 2021
Category........
FAM
This forum is a lifesaver! Thank you for posting.

One note: I received my PPR yesterday, but there has been no mention of needing a "signed Annex A" to send in with the copy of my passport page etc. Maybe your instruction on that is only for some? I am immigrating to Ontario.

"You'll send your passport to the address listed in the email, along with two pictures and the document. If you're from a visa exempt country, they will request photocopies of your passport rather than the passport itself. Send this along with a signed Annex A to the address outlined in the PPR."

Your description of the rest of the process has been very accurate to my experience. Thanks!

I've seen many questions asked about the outland process and its various stages, so I created this post to try to provide a detailed breakdown.

The beginning of the process - AOR1
Creating a GCKEY account
Sponsorship Approval
CIC sends requests
PA Processing
  • Your application will then be transferred to your local VO, or in some instances CPC-Mississauga. CIC will send an email to the sponsor confirming which VO it has gone to.
  • Once the VO begins to process the application, they will send the PA an email to confirm they have receipted the application, this is known as AOR2. Not all VO's send this email, however. https://imgur.com/3KAwhoK.
  • In some instances, for AOR2 you need to reply on ECAS to update to show when the application began to process under the applicant's details: https://imgur.com/Evp18Ca - this shows when your local VO began to process your application and is commonly referred to as 'Line 2 on ECAS'.
GCKEY Updates
  • GCKEY goes through various changes during the final stages, again, this doesn't happen for everyone, unfortunately, and you may find your application show eligibility and background checks in progress from the moment you link your account. You'll see the following towards the end of the process: https://imgur.com/a/nSDvwQt
  • This is the slowest part of the entire process as background and eligibility checks can take a long time to process. Some people get ghost updates on GCKEY as the application is worked on. This is shown when the status shows as Application/Profile Updated.
Checking ECAS
  • ECAS allows you to check for updates on the application and during the final stages will show decision made under the principal applicant's section: https://imgur.com/F3yPtfD
Passport Request (PPR) & Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR)
  • Once you've received 'decision made', you'll get a passport request emailed to you: https://imgur.com/a/RRL6H
  • You'll send your passport to the address listed in the email, along with two pictures and the document. If you're from a visa exempt country, they will request photocopies of your passport rather than the passport itself. Send this along with a signed Annex A to the address outlined in the PPR.
  • Once this has been processed, your GCKEY will update to show 'Approved'. You'll be issued with your COPR: https://imgur.com/a/f79qD
  • COPR will then be mailed to the address you listed in your PPR: https://imgur.com/a/gTdTl
You're then free to land with your COPR.

Landing in Canada
  • Depending on your situation, there are multiple options for landing in Canada:
    • The most common is for PA's that have remained outside of Canada during their full outland process outlined here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada.
    • Flagpoling - this is the act of going to the nearest land border to have your PR activated. This is commonly used when the PA is already within Canada under dual intent. https://www.immigroup.com/news/flagpoling-your-way-new-work-or-study-permit-or-permanent-residence
    • Land at a local CIC office: This method can take a long time depending on how busy your local office is. Again, this is suited to applicants that are currently living in Canada. To book an appointment once you have COPR, call +1 888 242-2100 and request an appointment, you will then be contacted by your local office to arrange a date. Or for anyone who’s worried about toll-free not being included on their plan.

Credit to @haXudon and @svilli for a few of the images.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One note: I received my PPR yesterday, but there has been no mention of needing a "signed Annex A" to send in with the copy of my passport page etc. Maybe your instruction on that is only for some? I am immigrating to Ontario.
Annex A is just height and eye colour. Write it up in a table, any form, with tombstone details (date of birth passport number uci) and include.

They'll accept in almost any forms and they sometimes refer to annex a or not, but will ask for hieght and eye colour.

m3anFl0w3r

Jul 17, 2021
Category........
FAM
Annex A is just height and eye colour. Write it up in a table, any form, with tombstone details (date of birth passport number uci) and include.

They'll accept in almost any forms and they sometimes refer to annex a or not, but will ask for hieght and eye colour.
Ah, understood! Yes, they did ask for height and eye color, but never called it Annex A. Thank you for clarifying!
I decided to copy my Driver's License, which has those pieces of data on it and I wrote it out in larger print next to the photocopy.

Maryam_ahm

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
Can someone please guide me today my gckey account update ase final decision approved but we didn't get our passport back yet our passport has been in process since 1st Nov 2021

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Can someone please guide me today my gckey account update ase final decision approved but we didn't get our passport back yet our passport has been in process since 1st Nov 2021
My husband received his documents the week after the final decision was made. There may be more delays nowadays due to the pandemic though. Hope that helps ease your mind. You're almost through the process!

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020

rcene12

Sep 17, 2021
Hi applied for Pr application, recenetly i got the following:
Can anyone tell me what step 5 could be? They haven’t requested any addition information.
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on June 21, 2021.
  2. We started processing your application on November 17, 2021.
  3. We sent you medical instructions on November 10, 2021. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  4. Medical results have been received.
  5. We sent you a letter on November 19, 2021. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Penny.a

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Can anyone tell me what step 5 could be? They haven’t requested any addition information.
  3. We sent you medical instructions on November 10, 2021. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. We sent you a letter on November 19, 2021. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
Number 5 is PPR I guess

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to see what the letter says. IRCC is likely requesting something to continue processing your application.

Canarrive

Jun 28, 2021
Its nothing to worry about. I had the same message on Line 5. I called them and they told me its the letter that tells you how to connect your application with GCkey. So no need to worry even if you don't connect it.

Reactions: armoured

Maher_mohamed4

Dec 15, 2021
Any updates,