+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

Oct17

Jun 6, 2019

I have applied for citizenship in October 2017 In the IRCC ATIP the status is OPEN, this is from the ATIP that was generated back in April 2019.

In the notes section the office is, ‘Case Review, Citizenship and Immigration’.

Also, in the Text section of the Notes the Officer mentions that “he has to manually update the status to ‘Under Review’ as the GCMS glitch prevented the clearance from passing in the system as per information from partners “

I have MP office following up with my file and the recent information I received recently is that , the security is in progress and under review.

Please provide some details as to what it means and as to how long does a file sits in under review ??

Thanks

torontob

Aug 10, 2009

I have applied for citizenship in October 2017 In the IRCC ATIP the status is OPEN, this is from the ATIP that was generated back in April 2019.

In the notes section the office is, ‘Case Review, Citizenship and Immigration’.

Also, in the Text section of the Notes the Officer mentions that “he has to manually update the status to ‘Under Review’ as the GCMS glitch prevented the clearance from passing in the system as per information from partners “

I have MP office following up with my file and the recent information I received recently is that , the security is in progress and under review.

Please provide some details as to what it means and as to how long does a file sits in under review ??

Thanks

Order CBSA notes and let us know what that says. It will have more info. Not much to tell from current report.

gerardito

Jan 30, 2019
Hi legalfalcon,
I am family class applicant and applied on 2016 and rejected under the basis of non-genuine marriage. We appealed and won our appeal on October 2018. Document requested on end of January 2019 and submitted. In June and July we contacted our MP and send letter to LVO and IRCC. They have replied with their last email – SECURITY VERIFICATION IS GOING ON - Could you please explain what does meaning of –SECURITY VERIFICATION-
Appreciate your comments. Especially @legalfalcon
Thanking you
Hello, could you tell me please the steps you did to appeal?

Oct17

Jun 6, 2019
@legalfalcon :

Hello

I have applied for citizenship in October 2017 and done with the test in March 2018, I haven’t heard anything back from CIC since then.
I have also ordered GCMS recently and it does mention a note from the agent that the status has to be manually changed to under review.
It’s been under review since March 2019.

Would really appreciate if you can provide some information as to what exactly it means and how long does a file stays under review ? Does his also mean that the security is done and hence it’s under review ? and so on and so forth ?

Thanks

Mmaindak

Jul 19, 2017
Does it show that person's date of birth? If it is not the same and it is a huge gap in age you would not have to worry. If it is close or same as your birthdate then someone else might have second thoughts about your application too. But truth is explainable so have patience and order another notes in a month's time and see if you are under review or not to decide to reach out.
Thanks for the advice.
Now I'm worried... The dob is the same... Haven't ordered another cbsa notes yet as status of application has not moved... But it is becoming a long wait..

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice.
Now I'm worried... The dob is the same... Haven't ordered another cbsa notes yet as status of application has not moved... But it is becoming a long wait..
Can you postns sections of notes with similar names etc? You can use psudonames but follow the same pattern; maybe there is something more I can tell you or send GCMS notes privately.

mugere

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
I applied for PR in category of protected person in canada on 10 sept.2018.in my cic background chek started on 05th/03/2019

I ordered CSBA notes on 13th august 2019 and I got them today , this is the content, please help me to understand what does it mean...is security screening done? or? difference between security chek and security screening....?
UCI:XXXXXXXX
Family name:xxxxx
Given name:xxxx
Type:Security
Validity date:
Status updated by: ME18945
Status updated date:2019/03/05
Assigned to: RC9570
Due date : 2019/11/28
Assigned by: MH21256
Activity# : 1-HHPKLOO

Type:Security Screening
Validity date:
Status updated by: EAISTS
Status updated date:2019/04/26
Assigned by: ME18945
Due date:2019/04/04

Activity# : 2-RE52DGU

@legalfalcon or others your help please

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
I applied for PR in category of protected person in canada on 10 sept.2018.in my cic background chek started on 05th/03/2019

I ordered CSBA notes on 13th august 2019 and I got them today , this is the content, please help me to understand what does it mean...is security screening done? or? difference between security chek and security screening....?
Validity date:

Validity date:

"Security" is any security check. Even the first level of review by the the CIC officer. But "Security Screening" is usually A34 Comprehensive which is CBSA related and takes long time.

You redacted the names and UCI numbers so it's hard to tell if both are for the same person or two different people. Most likely those are for two different people on file which can be like wife who is in security and husband who is in security screening due to military service or otherwise for example.

Security time: same day or few weeks
Security Screening time: 1, 3, 6, or 12 months

Last edited:

mugere

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
"Security" is any security check. Even the first level of review by the the CIC officer. But "Security Screening" is usually A34 Comprehensive which is CBSA related and takes long time.

You redacted the names and UCI numbers so it's hard to tell if both are for the same person or two different people. Most likely those are for two different people on file which can be like wife who is in security and husband who is in security screening due to military service or otherwise for example.
only one person on security chek and on security screening

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
only one person on security chek and on security screening
That means the person is sent to CBSA after the initial "security" check by officer. Look for "Comprehensive" or A34 around "Security Screening".

You might also see something like this under notes which is also about sending the file to CBSA:
Label: Adm/Security

Reactions: mugere

mugere

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018

Security time: same day or few weeks
Security Screening time: 1, 3, 6, or 12 months
for me there is a contrast, u are saying that for security its few days or weeks but u see that the due date is 2019/11/28 and status is in progres but for security screening the due date is 2019/04/04 and it was updated on 2019/04/26 and on status there is nothing I dont even know if it started...it is confusing me

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
for me there is a contrast, u are saying that for security its few days or weeks but u see that the due date is 2019/11/28 and status is in progres but for security screening the due date is 2019/04/04 and it was updated on 2019/04/26 and on status there is nothing I dont even know if it started...it is confusing me
IF your file is sent to CBSA it will be months. IF your file is not sent to CBSA it will be days or weeks for security concern portion of a case.

You can call it whatever you want, security or security screening or whatever other term you like. These are computer programmers who just put some terms.

However, you can see Security on everyone's file but you would not see Security Screening on everyone's file (at least not populated as Comprehensive A34). The first field that will generate is Security or it is the first step which is basically review of your application by your own admission reviewed by CIC case officer. Then, if security check itself is not enough (which is done by the CIC case officer by simply reading through your confessions on the applications) or raises a flag (someone admitting guilt on application) then they send for Security Screening to CBSA. CBSA checks with various partners (other countries databases, interpol, CSIS,...) and makes notes. Then CBSA responds back with their opinion to CIC and then the CIC officer reviews the file again and matches CBSA findings to your confessions on applications and puts a PASS on security or finds you as a threat and rejects application (this doesn't happen right away and they ask for more proof etc; usually applicant is given some chance). What is important is to know that : CBSA does NOT decide the case.

Regardless of all above, what is important (the processing time of course) is that if you see Comprehensive A34 on your GCMS notes you will be delayed. With new biometeric rules CBSA has been quicker in this regard.

Now to answer your comments:
- Due dates do NOT mean ANYTHING. CIC and other partners do not care for those dates. No one audits them. A file out of 200,000 files is not anything special to anyone. This is the same for everyone's files, and not just yours.
- For Security Screen you will never see a PASS. CBSA will always redact that. Good luck finding anything ever in your life. Your next generation probably 20 or 60 (not sure exactly which) years after your death can get that info through ATIP request but for now you won't get to see that. However, there may also not be a PASS or FAIL there. It maybe something like a Level 1 Threat, Level 2 Threat, or Concern, etc...This is because like I said above CBSA only provides their findings and NOT a decision. CIC officer reads the notes from CBSA and then asks you for more documentation or says "Oh, this guy was a small time soldier like rest of his country men and CBSA found nothing on him let's just PASS his eligibility".

If you post all notes or send me in private I can tell you 100% if your CBSA security is started or not. It is not possible to know from what you posted for sure. But I think you are because I recognize the system codes on your file for IRCC systems which has now received your file which deals with CBSA.

AND if you were sent to CBSA for security screening your My CIC Login shows that in a cryptic message. So, if you post that I can tell you from those notes too.

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
IF your file is sent to CBSA it will be months. IF your file is not sent to CBSA it will be days or weeks for security concern portion of a case.

You can call it whatever you want, security or security screening or whatever other term you like. These are computer programmers who just put some terms.

However, you can see Security on everyone's file but you would not see Security Screening on everyone's file (at least not populated as Comprehensive A34). The first field that will generate is Security or it is the first step which is basically review of your application by your own admission reviewed by CIC case officer. Then, if security check itself is not enough (which is done by the CIC case officer by simply reading through your confessions on the applications) or raises a flag (someone admitting guilt on application) then they send for Security Screening to CBSA. CBSA checks with various partners (other countries databases, interpol, CSIS,...) and makes notes. Then CBSA responds back with their opinion to CIC and then the CIC officer reviews the file again and matches CBSA findings to your confessions on applications and puts a PASS on security or finds you as a threat and rejects application (this doesn't happen right away and they ask for more proof etc; usually applicant is given some chance). What is important is to know that : CBSA does NOT decide the case.

Regardless of all above, what is important (the processing time of course) is that if you see Comprehensive A34 on your GCMS notes you will be delayed. With new biometeric rules CBSA has been quicker in this regard.

Now to answer your comments:
- Due dates do NOT mean ANYTHING. CIC and other partners do not care for those dates. No one audits them. A file out of 200,000 files is not anything special to anyone. This is the same for everyone's files, and not just yours.
- For Security Screen you will never see a PASS. CBSA will always redact that. Good luck finding anything ever in your life. Your next generation probably 20 or 60 (not sure exactly which) years after your death can get that info through ATIP request but for now you won't get to see that. However, there may also not be a PASS or FAIL there. It maybe something like a Level 1 Threat, Level 2 Threat, or Concern, etc...This is because like I said above CBSA only provides their findings and NOT a decision. CIC officer reads the notes from CBSA and then asks you for more documentation or says "Oh, this guy was a small time soldier like rest of his country men and CBSA found nothing on him let's just PASS his eligibility".

If you post all notes or send me in private I can tell you 100% if your CBSA security is started or not. It is not possible to know from what you posted for sure. But I think you are because I recognize the system codes on your file for IRCC systems which has now received your file which deals with CBSA.

AND if you were sent to CBSA for security screening your My CIC Login shows that in a cryptic message. So, if you post that I can tell you from those notes too.
All applications go through security which is done by CBSA and CSIS.

There is no file that is not sent to CBSA.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

Validity date:

Validity date:

All applications go through security. The security is done by IRCC, CSIS and CBSA. As per your activity here, your security is in progress. You will have at least 4 such activities before the security is concluded.

All security details in a GCMS notes are redacted. However, in the CBSA notes the security related details are not redacted and this is why you can see security screening, which is there in all GCMS notes.

The application is send to CSIS and CBSA at the same time. First CSIS concludes its involvement and then sends its report to CBSA, which then makes a comprehensive report and sends it to IRCC. The report will have the details and it is for IRCC to make a determination if an applicant is inadmissible based on the findings.

No one can figure our if CBSA has concluded its investigations. The only way to go about it by finding if CSIS has concluded its involvement and sent its report, which is clearly written in a CSIS report.

Also see https://www.canada.ca/en/security-intelligence-service/services/security-screening-for-immigration-and-citizenship-applications.html

Do not be fooled by incorrect information. Use open search tools to find what is the law and how it goes.

It is also true that for many applications it takes way longer for the security to conclude, and some of those aspects I have covered in my initial post.

Also, please do not share your CBSA or GCMS notes. The Government of Canada classifies them as Protected B documents (Applies to information or assets that, if compromised, could cause injury to an individual, organization or government.)

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/esc-src/protection-safeguarding/niveaux-levels-eng.html