+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
Hey there,

Just wondering what your take is on my application. I recently hit the 1 year mark (status showing "We are processing your BGC etc..." received the pre-arrival mail about a month ago. I'm just a bit worried with being put in the thorough security screening thing as I have quite an extensive travel history. I cycled from the Netherlands to Nepal and spend a few months in Iran. Would that trigger some red flags for them and reason enough to have a deeper look at my history? I yet have to order those notes, might be about time to do so.

Thanks!

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
I received my cbsa notes and in Ices travel history, a person with a different middle name than mines is showing in their records.
Should this be of concern as my AOR was April 2017 and final eligibility and security have not started till date?

Should I raise a CSE to ask for clarification?
Does it show that person's date of birth? If it is not the same and it is a huge gap in age you would not have to worry. If it is close or same as your birthdate then someone else might have second thoughts about your application too. But truth is explainable so have patience and order another notes in a month's time and see if you are under review or not to decide to reach out.

Last edited:

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
I have a previous US VISA refusal. According to the notes, Info Sharing is Complete. Security Screening is still in process (Since February). Does "complete" mean that US VISA refusal has been of no concern to the officer?
If there was objection it might show in notes section like it was referred to others to check. This will be part of eligibility notes. If that is pass then you have nothing to worry about.

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Hey there,

Just wondering what your take is on my application. I recently hit the 1 year mark (status showing "We are processing your BGC etc..." received the pre-arrival mail about a month ago. I'm just a bit worried with being put in the thorough security screening thing as I have quite an extensive travel history. I cycled from the Netherlands to Nepal and spend a few months in Iran. Would that trigger some red flags for them and reason enough to have a deeper look at my history? I yet have to order those notes, might be about time to do so.

Thanks!

If after 11 months being in security check you received pre-arrival letter it means good things. Ask them to send you new medical as old one is expired or almost expired. Even if it's one month left they can send another one and they should.

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Hello
I have applied for citizenship in October 2017 and done with the test in March 2018, I haven’t heard anything back from CIC since then.
I have MP office following up with my file and the recent information I received is that , the security is in progress and under review.
I have also ordered GCMS recently and it does mention a note from the agent that the status has to be manually changed to under review.
It’s been under review since March 2019.

Would really appreciate if you can provide some information as to what exactly it means and how long does a file stays under review and so on and so forth ?

Thanks
Start reaching out to them. Review what writ of mandamus is and call. Write letters that have dates for demands/requests. Get the MP involved more. Those guys need to work a bit for the money we pay them.

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Hi Legalfelcon,
I have applied for sinp, and waiting for work permit.i have question plz answer to me.
I got a job in LOGCAP if, Afghanistan in United state army base, in 2010. My company was dyn Corp which was the direct contractor of US govt. They provide me LOA ( letter of authorisation ) but they didn't stamp the visa of afghanistan. They given UAE visit visa which we were used to enter in Dubai, then we exit from Dubai and entered in Kandahar Air field by our pre arranged company flight. Once we entered in camp, military taken the finger prints and asked LOA. I stayed almost 4 years. I have all the documents from US military as well as from our company.

Recently I got the police clearence certificate from Afghanistan, and I have requested to US embassy to provide a police certificate fir my stay in Afghanistan and they given one.

I have police certificate and enough documents for my stay in afghanistan. Still I worry bcoz I didn't have visa stamp in my passport.

Is it gonna be any problem for immigration process?

Thank you.
No prob. Explain that on a letter which you did here. Keep it very short. You are not the only with similar contracts, officers recognize that.

manojsax

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
This is a great forum.
I have lived in the US for 2 years and then living in Canada for past 8 months with prior stay only in New Delhi (India) for most of 20 years.
Also, all travels in past were to US and Canada.
Does this imply that security and background clearance could be faster (PNP Paper based AR Mar 2019)?

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
This is a great forum.
I have lived in the US for 2 years and then living in Canada for past 8 months with prior stay only in New Delhi (India) for most of 20 years.
Also, all travels in past were to US and Canada.
Does this imply that security and background clearance could be faster (PNP Paper based AR Mar 2019)?
Certain types of cases are moved faster because the tasks for them are arranged better. I.e. pre medical or security done as rest of work is done. BUT I don't think there is a difference in security check timing. CIC can ask CBSA to prioritize the check and I am guessing they will but this is rarely asked probably or unless you have connections.

But security is a general term. I can't emphasise that enough. Case officer will personally decide if you need a CBSA check or not. That means the case officers will do the initial "security check" per say. And then there is what is called "comprehensive security" which is a technical term and is a defined proccess where an officer send a case to CBSA and CBSA either decides or sends to CSIS and RCMP. So, you get the point about what I mean about security being a general term.

You will know you are in security if right after elegibility you go into long wait. Or better yet order ATIP notes and see if you are in security or not.

Now, to your question (after all that necessary background), comprehensive security is almost literally one person's decision. You may or may not get it depending on your past history and how the officer feels about you. Of course they have some guidelines but I think nothing stops them from sending you to security if something rubs them the wrong way so your question at this point really has no answer unless you provide all your life details.

Habajp

Oct 29, 2018
Hello all, am outland applicant (QSWP) AOR on 31 July 2018, recently on 16 August 2019, I got pre arrival letter from cic and informing me that they have started processing my background check, but I havent yet received MR, it is normal ? thanks for your comments

PLATINA

Jul 30, 2019
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Hi legalfalcon,
I am family class applicant and applied on 2016 and rejected under the basis of non-genuine marriage. We appealed and won our appeal on October 2018. Document requested on end of January 2019 and submitted. In June and July we contacted our MP and send letter to LVO and IRCC. They have replied with their last email – SECURITY VERIFICATION IS GOING ON - Could you please explain what does meaning of –SECURITY VERIFICATION-

Thanking you

Last edited:

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Hi, I am family class applicant and applied on 2016 and rejected under the basis of non-genuine marriage. We appealed and won our appeal on October 2018. Document requested on end of January 2019 and submitted. In June and July we contacted our MP and send letter to LVO and IRCC. They have replied with their last email – SECURITY VERIFICATION IS GOING ON - Could you please explain what does meaning of –SECURITY VERIFICATION-

Thanking you
You are probably in comprehensive background check. Search the forum for that and CBSA.

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Hello all, am outland applicant (QSWP) AOR on 31 July 2018, recently on 16 August 2019, I got pre arrival letter from cic and informing me that they have started processing my background check, but I havent yet received MR, it is normal ? thanks for your comments
Yes that's odd. I dont think they will forget about MR :) but there is a 0.01% chance they let you in without it.

I guess you can ask them for it.

Maybe they sent you to background security check and if that is so it's best to wait for medical request until that is done because medical request must be valid for 4-12 months before they can issue visa. And security check can take 3, 8, or 13 months.

PLATINA

Jul 30, 2019
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
You are probably in comprehensive background check. Search the forum for that and CBSA.
IRCC not mentioned BGC. They have mentioned - Security Verification - Confused?? :(

PLATINA

Jul 30, 2019
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Hi legalfalcon,
I am family class applicant and applied on 2016 and rejected under the basis of non-genuine marriage. We appealed and won our appeal on October 2018. Document requested on end of January 2019 and submitted. In June and July we contacted our MP and send letter to LVO and IRCC. They have replied with their last email – SECURITY VERIFICATION IS GOING ON - Could you please explain what does meaning of –SECURITY VERIFICATION-
Appreciate your comments. Especially @legalfalcon
Thanking you

Habajp

Oct 29, 2018
t
Yes that's odd. I dont think they will forget about MR :) but there is a 0.01% chance they let you in without it.

I guess you can ask them for it.

Maybe they sent you to background security check and if that is so it's best to wait for medical request until that is done because medical request must be valid for 4-12 months before they can issue visa. And security check can take 3, 8, or 13 months.
thanks!!