+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

jxrgm

Aug 2, 2023
Dear @legalfalcon ,

I am an Outland,PNP ( Alberta Tech), EE applicant. - Indian passport holder, applying from UAE with wife and 3 kids.

Nomination Issued- 28th March
ITA - 30th March
PR Filed - 8th May
Medical Passed- 1st June
Biometrics Completed- 1st June
Eligibility - Not started
Background Check - Being Processed

Can you please advise what the timelines will look like now to PPR?

battylife

Apr 16, 2023
Dear @legalfalcon,

Thank you for your help and guidance. As mentioned earlier, my PR application is being screened by both CSIS and CBSA for A34 concerns.

I am convinced that I will be put under screening again, when I apply for citizenship, if I wait for more than 3-4 years after receiving PR. This is because IRCC officially states that screening results are valid for 48 months.

But suppose I apply for citizenship as soon as possible, and my citizenship application arrives at the security screening stage before the 48 month mark. Will the screening for the citizenship application be waived, because I have a valid PR screening result? Assuming they don't suspect me of A35 and A37 offenses.

ashoo65

Aug 12, 2019
Hi Guys! I applied for PR on 7th may 2021 on paper, In Canada applicant. The AOR was 10th March 2022. Medical requested in July 2022 and passed on 25th Aug 2022. Then long silence. I received ADR in January 2023 replied within a week. Applied GCMS notes through CBSA in June 2023. Got these in July 2023 which says everything passed including Eligibility. Background chwck was marked in-progress on 2nd March 2023. Since then a long silence is continuing. I sent a mail to the area MP too. IRCC replied to her that we do not need anything from the applicant now. All processes are passed. Just ask him to keep the patience.
But no progress is creating frustration. What do you guys suggest. How to request IRCC to act on it? Thanks in anticipation for your advice.

guardian007

Star Member
Dec 2, 2021
Thank you for your reply @legalfalcon

I also want to add that we have received an information letter in our Gckey account that satates that "your application is still in progress and in your case some internal processing is on going" I want to know if this is a generic letter in reaponse to my dozen webforms and emails to CPC- Ottawa or does the officer really want to inform me about my application ?

Please give your inputs, much appreciated.

Hi I wanted to ask if you got your PR and if you can share your TImeline including how long it took fo background check ?

Thank you

guardian007

Star Member
Dec 2, 2021
Hi Guys! I applied for PR on 7th may 2021 on paper, In Canada applicant. The AOR was 10th March 2022. Medical requested in July 2022 and passed on 25th Aug 2022. Then long silence. I received ADR in January 2023 replied within a week. Applied GCMS notes through CBSA in June 2023. Got these in July 2023 which says everything passed including Eligibility. Background chwck was marked in-progress on 2nd March 2023. Since then a long silence is continuing. I sent a mail to the area MP too. IRCC replied to her that we do not need anything from the applicant now. All processes are passed. Just ask him to keep the patience.
But no progress is creating frustration. What do you guys suggest. How to request IRCC to act on it? Thanks in anticipation for your advice.

Hi, can you share your timeline ? . thank you

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
C. How is the security screening done?

Security screening is all about collecting as much data about the applicant and analyzing it. To make this easy to understand I am dividing the answer to this question in two parts, collecting data and analysis.

a) Collecting data
CSIS collects data about an applicant through its own databases, the shared databases from countries that have partnered with Canada, international agencies, and by requesting information from foreign countries.​
CSIS maintains and regularly updates its databases with information from coming in across the world. This includes data on the names of individuals involved in illegal activities, terrorist activities, political activities etc. This database is further fueled by agencies such as INTERPOL, which releases information shared by member countries and accessible by other member countries. To provide you with an example, a criminal incident (including white collar crime and financial fraud) involving foreign nationals, which happened in a country in Europe is under investigation. To arrest these individuals, the European country will release information to INTERPOL, which will be shared to all member nations. CSIS, based on this released information, will gather more information and update its databases, even though the suspects are not in Canada. This is how the database keeps growing.​
After the attacks of 9/11, US and Canada to deal with terrorism had many high level meetings and now they share data. The US authorities have access to Canadian database and vise versa. Similarly, Canada partnered with UK, New Zealand, and Australia, which it calls partner nations, and these partners share date, including criminal records, with each other. This is a very complicated process, as if there is a lead picked up by the security agency in Australia, the names and identities of the suspects is immediately released to Canada and other partners. Canada does the same. This is how the database is growing rapidly every minute.​
Finally, when CSIS has concerns with a specific applicant, based on his travel history, or his connections, political involvement, etc. they can seek information from foreign government under Section 16 of the CSIS Act.​

Collection of information concerning foreign states and persons
16 (1) Subject to this section, the Service may, in relation to the defence of Canada or the conduct of the international affairs of Canada, assist the Minister of National Defence or the Minister of Foreign Affairs, within Canada, in the collection of information or intelligence relating to the capabilities, intentions or activities of
(a) any foreign state or group of foreign states; or
(b) any person other than
(i) a Canadian citizen,
(ii) a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, or
(iii) a corporation incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament or of the legislature of a province.

b) Analyzing Data
All relevant information collected by the CSIS is exhaustively analysed in order to assist IRCC in its subsequent decision as to whether they are inadmissible under the IRPA. “The term ‘security screenings’ refers to the procedures used to identify persons seeking admission to Canada who are, or have been, involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism.” Although the term refers to the scrutiny of an applicant’s political orientation, beliefs and activities, as part of the normal immigrant selection process, criminal records checks are also conducted wherever possible. In analyzing the data the CSIS broadly is concerned with the following:​

i. espionage, terrorism or unacceptable political activity​
ii. persons who may engage in violence​
iii. persons who may have committed war crimes​
iv. persons who pose a threat to Canadian security​
v. persons involved with terrorist governments​

D. What are the processing times?

There is no recent data released by CSIS on the processing times. However, in 2014-2015 CSIS processed 33,900 permanent resident applications and in 2015-2016 it processed 56,500 applications. As per the old data from early 2000s, the average processing time for security screening requests is 62 days. Fifty-one percent of all cases were completed within this time frame. The remaining 49 percent of requests averaged 110 days to complete. Less than one percent of all cases took longer than twelve months. With the introduction of biometrics for citizens from select countries, the processing times are expected to decrease. Given that the economic immigrants are a low risk category, the processing times usually range from 25 – 90 days after the introduction of the express entry for most applications.

E. What kind of applicants face stricter security screening?

In the past CSIS has been criticized for racial profiling applicants based on country of origin, race, religion, travel history, political affiliation, but these factors are the primary means of conducting security screening. Applicants from countries known to harbor terrorists, from unstable countries, of some specific religion and faith, with specific political affiliation are more prone to undergo stringent security screening. This also includes travel history to countries linked with terrorism, drug source countries, inter-religion or inter-nationality marriage etc.

Hi @legalfalcon,

Thanks for your efforts, they are very helpful.
May God bless you and your family.
Speaking about my question:
1. Processing times you provided above are from old records, correct? How true are they nowadays, are they still the same, what do you think?
2. I am in SS since August 15 when my Eligibility completed, and criminality with info-sharing were also completed. That day I received ADR(PCC) for my dependant, I sent them LoE next day and in my GCKey account it became "Not applicable" in August 18. 2 weeks later I called IRCC and the operator said that there is a note that my case was sent for verification to third parties(next 2 times I called operators they did not mention about this at all, no notes left they said), what does it mean, explain please. I have some idea, I guess those third parties are CBSA, CSIS and etc., but still you are the one who knows better, so please share your thoughts.
3. Do you thinks this is just a record check or comprehensive check?

For reference:
FSW-O
AOR - April 12;
MEP - passed May 04;
Biometrics - passed May 08;
After that was complete silence with 2 GUs till August 15.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hi @legalfalcon,

Thanks for your efforts, they are very helpful.
May God bless you and your family.
Speaking about my question:
1. Processing times you provided above are from old records, correct? How true are they nowadays, are they still the same, what do you think?
2. I am in SS since August 15 when my Eligibility completed, and criminality with info-sharing were also completed. That day I received ADR(PCC) for my dependant, I sent them LoE next day and in my GCKey account it became "Not applicable" in August 18. 2 weeks later I called IRCC and the operator said that there is a note that my case was sent for verification to third parties(next 2 times I called operators they did not mention about this at all, no notes left they said), what does it mean, explain please. I have some idea, I guess those third parties are CBSA, CSIS and etc., but still you are the one who knows better, so please share your thoughts.
3. Do you thinks this is just a record check or comprehensive check?

For reference:
FSW-O
AOR - April 12;
MEP - passed May 04;
Biometrics - passed May 08;
After that was complete silence with 2 GUs till August 15.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi,
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to be of assistance.

1. Processing times
The processing times that I provided are from the IRCC website. They are updated regularly, so they should be fairly accurate. However, it is important to note that these are just estimates, and the actual processing time for your application may vary depending on a number of factors, such as the complexity of your case, the number of applications that IRCC is processing, and the workload of the visa office that is processing your application.

2. Case sent for verification to third parties
When IRCC sends a case for verification to third parties, it means that they are seeking additional information from another government agency, such as the CBSA or CSIS. This is usually done to verify the applicant's identity, criminal history, or other information that is relevant to their application.
The fact that your case has been sent for verification to third parties does not necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with your application. It is simply a routine step that IRCC takes for many applications. However, it is important to note that this step can add to the processing time of your application.

3. Record check or comprehensive check?
It is difficult to say for sure whether IRCC is conducting a record check or a comprehensive check on your case without more information. However, the fact that your case has been sent for verification to third parties suggests that IRCC is conducting a more comprehensive check. This may include verifying your employment history, education, and other information that is provided in your application.

Overall
It is good that your case is moving forward. The fact that IRCC has sent your case for verification to third parties suggests that they are serious about processing your application. However, it is important to be patient, as this step can add to the processing time of your application.

I hope this information is helpful.

Reactions: umbro

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
Hi guys,

I have received my GCMS note and as per security section I did not see any assignment to CBSA or CSIS under any acts. The latest officer note is: ‘’security data entry complete and submitted’’ and the status of my application is PS-Sec-Pend but in security section cannot see any acts or assignment that should be done by CBSA or CSIS. There is a due date for 25 Nov, 2023 and assigned to an officer which I can see their code. What should I expect after this stage?! Is it possibility of assigning my application to CBSA or CSIS later or I have to expect the final decision by officer?!

would it possible for anyone to help me to interpret my GCMS note. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
Hi guys,

I have received my GCMS note and as per security section I did not see any assignment to CBSA or CSIS under any acts. The latest officer note is: ‘’security data entry complete and submitted’’ and the status of my application is PS-Sec-Pend but in security section cannot see any acts or assignment that should be done by CBSA or CSIS. There is a due date for 25 Nov, 2023 and assigned to an officer which I can see their code. What should I expect after this stage?! Is it possibility of assigning my application to CBSA or CSIS later or I have to expect the final decision by officer?!

would it possible for anyone to help me to interpret my GCMS note. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
How long it took you to get notes?

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
Hi @legalfalcon ,

I have received my GCMS note and as per security section I did not see any assignment to CBSA or CSIS under any acts. The latest officer note is: ‘’security data entry complete and submitted’’ and the status of my application is PS-Sec-Pend but in security section cannot see any sub-activities, acts or assignment that should be done by CBSA or CSIS. There is a due date for 25 Nov, 2023 and assigned to an officer which I can see their code. What should I expect after this stage?! Is it possibility of assigning my application to CBSA or CSIS later or I have to expect the final decision by officer?!

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
Hi @legalfalcon

I submitted citizenship application with my spouse in Dec 2022. I received request to submit my fingerprint on Feb 22 and submitted it the same week. We had our test date notification in March 2023 and the tracker shows test was completed May 2023. After that, there has been no further updates. It is showing background check completed for my wife. At this stage should I wait or request gcms notes? Is this delay normal?

Worth mentioning that my tracker has no mention of fingerprint being requested or received. I'm not sure where the problem is as I see others who submitted fingerprints had status reflected in their tracker.

The Sydney office is processing our application. Any information would be of great help! Thank you!

Last edited: