+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
Yesterday I received notes from CSIS dated mid-November. It is more like a one page letter. I ordered it exactly one month ago through ATIP. The letter says:
"Security Assessments/Advice (case number I think): Your Security Screening case is still in progress. The information has been exempted from disclosure by virtue of one or more of selections 21, 22(1)(a), 22(1)(b) and 26 of the Act untill your case is completed."
There are few more texts that are not worth to be mentioned.
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to be processed by CSIS? I read somewhere that it takes about 3 months for CSIS and then they send it to CBSA which will also take another 3 months till sending all collected data to IRCC for final decision, is it true, what do you think?
As of today it's been more that 3 and half months since my security screening started.

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
Yesterday I received notes from CSIS dated mid-November. It is more like a one page letter. I ordered it exactly one month ago through ATIP. The letter says:
"Security Assessments/Advice (case number I think): Your Security Screening case is still in progress. The information has been exempted from disclosure by virtue of one or more of selections 21, 22(1)(a), 22(1)(b) and 26 of the Act untill your case is completed."
There are few more texts that are not worth to be mentioned.
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to be processed by CSIS? I read somewhere that it takes about 3 months for CSIS and then they send it to CBSA which will also take another 3 months till sending all collected data to IRCC for final decision, is it true, what do you think?
As of today it's been more that 3 and half months since my security screening started.
We are in the same situation except the category of application and starting date of security screening. I received the same note and also the same question in my mind. Please reply if anyone knows the answer.
Thanks

Ahmad1283

Dec 2, 2023
I submitted my application for express entry and under personal activities I forgot to mention one employment for which I am not claiming points.
I have no gaps in personal history or 10 years. But my two jobs were overlapping. For example I work in different organizations one in the morning and another in the evening with another of which I am claiming my points.
What should I do? Anyone, please tell me?

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
Sorry to hear that, I really want nobody to suffer by waiting.
Don't you want to apply for Mandamus? I guess your case is good enough for this.
I got my gcms note from CSIS and it is something like your note but with different acts: it is as following:

Your Security Screening case is still in progress. The information has been exempted from disclosure by virtue of one or more of sections 15(1) (as it relates to the efforts of Canada toward detecting, preventing or suppressing subversive or hostile activities), 16(1)(a), 16(1)(c), 19(1) and 24(1) of the Act until your case is completed.

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
I got my gcms note from CSIS and it is something like your note but with different acts: it is as following:

Your Security Screening case is still in progress. The information has been exempted from disclosure by virtue of one or more of sections 15(1) (as it relates to the efforts of Canada toward detecting, preventing or suppressing subversive or hostile activities), 16(1)(a), 16(1)(c), 19(1) and 24(1) of the Act until your case is completed.
I see.
It seems to me those sections do not really matter, I suppose some IRCC officers just chose those articles as "reasons" for conducting SS. We all know and I haven't heard any application rejected after conducting SS, maybe there are some, but their proportion I think is so small that it is not worth conducting SS to so many (in terms of amount, but not proportion of applications) applications that lead to spending extra time for IRCC officers on these apps till finalization and of course, what is really frustrating is that those applicants and their families have to go through a tremendous stress before getting to Canada with all subsequent consequences in their mental health. Does anyone audit IRCC officers on these matters, I don't thinks so, otherwise we wouldn't suffer because of this. This is just my subjective opinion.

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
I see.
It seems to me those sections do not really matter, I suppose some IRCC officers just chose those articles as "reasons" for conducting SS. We all know and I haven't heard any application rejected after conducting SS, maybe there are some, but their proportion I think is so small that it is not worth conducting SS to so many (in terms of amount, but not proportion of applications) applications that lead to spending extra time for IRCC officers on these apps till finalization and of course, what is really frustrating is that those applicants and their families have to go through a tremendous stress before getting to Canada with all subsequent consequences in their mental health. Does anyone audit IRCC officers on these matters, I don't thinks so, otherwise we wouldn't suffer because of this. This is just my subjective opinion.
Completely agree with you

Olivia7

Star Member
Feb 2, 2023
AOR: July 14 PNP-Inland
Medical & Eligibility passed: 26 Jul
Bil : 24 October
Bio Completed : 17 November
ADR December 1 : CV . Maybe the reason is because of "Job: 2111"
Tracker notice :
Activity status updated: Background verification
Background verification
Background verification status has been updated to In progress
I'm probably SS

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
AOR: July 14 PNP-Inland
Medical & Eligibility passed: 26 Jul
Bil : 24 October
Bio Completed : 17 November
ADR December 1 : CV . Maybe the reason is because of "Job: 2111"
Tracker notice :
Activity status updated: Background verification
Background verification
Background verification status has been updated to In progress
I'm probably SS
It seems like that.
Order IRCC, CBSA and CSIS notes through ATIP if you didn't yet.

marina_abd

Mar 14, 2023
The issue of this petition is that the Sean Fraser is not minister of immigration anymore...
Yes, you're right.
Do you think we can ask Miler based on this petition? If so, how?
Does these petion works, at all ?
--------
According to this link of the government of Canada website, a Dataset is requested from CBSA on Oct 2, 2017 about immigration security screening timeline statistic.

https://search.open.canada.ca/suggest-dataset/record/fe08f4b3-4226-4cf4-a32e-3734b78f5c73

Since then, the Status of this request is:
Request sent to data owner – awaiting response!

6 years and no reply from CBSA to IRCC request!!
Does any follow-up have done from IRCC ??

Reactions: MJHamedi

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
Yes, you're right.
Do you think we can ask Miler based on this petition? If so, how?
Does these petion works, at all ?
--------
According to this link of the government of Canada website, a Dataset is requested from CBSA on Oct 2, 2017 about immigration security screening timeline statistic.

https://search.open.canada.ca/suggest-dataset/record/fe08f4b3-4226-4cf4-a32e-3734b78f5c73

Since then, the Status of this request is:
Request sent to data owner – awaiting response!

6 years and no reply from CBSA to IRCC request!!
Does any follow-up have done from IRCC ??
Do you think such petitions works?! Since I myslef signed many petitions and did not come to any points. Just FYI, one of my friends visited Miler in one of the Ottawa's street and asked him about his case which already passed processing time and he asked my friend his contact details for follwoing up his case with the office but never came back to him... I don't wanna make you disappointed but this people won't care about us at all in person, let alone a petition on the net.