+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

MFC123

Nov 7, 2023
My application was submitted on Nov 5 2022, inland, FSW. Eligibility was approved in May 2023, Criminality in July 2023, but apparently, we are going through Enhanced Security Screening. I have already sent webforms, contacted the MP (who confirmed we are going through additional security screening process). I asked for CBSA notes two times: on the first one, my (principal applicant) sub activities status was blank, and my spouse's was " in progress by CBSA". On the second one, received in December 2023, my subactivity status was "received by CBSA" and my spouse's was blank. Additionally, I required CSIS for the status of the application Security Screening in between the CBSA notes requests. My spouse's screening was finished as of July 2023, mine was still in progress (in early December). I asked again CSIS for an update on the application's security screening, but that is due on Feb 12th. Could you provide some insights where we are currently standing with our security screening process?

apollonoob

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
My application was submitted on Nov 5 2022, inland, FSW. Eligibility was approved in May 2023, Criminality in July 2023, but apparently, we are going through Enhanced Security Screening. I have already sent webforms, contacted the MP (who confirmed we are going through additional security screening process). I asked for CBSA notes two times: on the first one, my (principal applicant) sub activities status was blank, and my spouse's was " in progress by CBSA". On the second one, received in December 2023, my subactivity status was "received by CBSA" and my spouse's was blank. Additionally, I required CSIS for the status of the application Security Screening in between the CBSA notes requests. My spouse's screening was finished as of July 2023, mine was still in progress (in early December). I asked again CSIS for an update on the application's security screening, but that is due on Feb 12th. Could you provide some insights where we are currently standing with our security screening process?
firstly due date is useless. Secondly, your case is reviewed by CSIS and CBSA. when they finish, they will give suggestions to IRCC, like favorable, non-favorable, etc. IRCC will made final decision for that

MFC123

Nov 7, 2023
Thanks!! do you know if a blank on CBSA notes, CSIS in progress and after getting received by CBSA means that CSIS is done with their part? Is there any timeframe or limit for them?
firstly due date is useless. Secondly, your case is reviewed by CSIS and CBSA. when they finish, they will give suggestions to IRCC, like favorable, non-favorable, etc. IRCC will made final decision for that

apollonoob

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
Thanks!! do you know if a blank on CBSA notes, CSIS in progress and after getting received by CBSA means that CSIS is done with their part? Is there any timeframe or limit for them?
I don’t think so. And there is no timeframe for that.
I don’t think so. For me, my security check was initiated in august 2022. I don’t think there is any timeframe for that. But usually some of applicants finished in 1 months, 4months, 12 months or 18 months

MFC123

Nov 7, 2023
Is there anything like a progression of Status Codes for subactivities on CBSA notes?
I've been browsing without any success :(
I don’t think so. And there is no timeframe for that.

I don’t think so. For me, my security check was initiated in august 2022. I don’t think there is any timeframe for that. But usually some of applicants finished in 1 months, 4months, 12 months or 18 months

apollonoob

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
Is there anything like a progression of Status Codes for subactivities on CBSA notes?
I've been browsing without any success :(
Sub activity changes, but I seems dependent on officers. For example, I have a security sub activity in the end of 2022, saying that security screening in progress by CBSA. But then this page disappears since then. In the very beginning of 2024, in CBSA note security sub activity shows the content again.
I and some of my friends noticed that in the first page of CBSA note “location” slightly changes.Like from RROC review required, rroc team a, rroc ADM. I don’t know the meanings of that. But it seems that there is some kind of progress. Please let me know if you found something

MJHamedi

Star Member
Apr 8, 2023
Sub activity changes, but I seems dependent on officers. For example, I have a security sub activity in the end of 2022, saying that security screening in progress by CBSA. But then this page disappears since then. In the very beginning of 2024, in CBSA note security sub activity shows the content again.
I and some of my friends noticed that in the first page of CBSA note “location” slightly changes.Like from RROC review required, rroc team a, rroc ADM. I don’t know the meanings of that. But it seems that there is some kind of progress. Please let me know if you found something
I think I found a way to understand how many of the acts that they are investigating us for them, has passed or is in progress. The first page of CBSA note mentions some restrictions of the acts. For example, I myslef got CSIS note and saw that they are investigating me under some acts. The first time I got CBSA note, the restriction was only on first act and the second time (after 3 months) one more act added to the previos one. I believe if all those acts that are in your CSIS note are in your restrictions in CBSA note means you are close to end of process. As I know the acts are investigating once the previous one is done.

MFC123

Nov 7, 2023
I think I found a way to understand how many of the acts that they are investigating us for them, has passed or is in progress. The first page of CBSA note mentions some restrictions of the acts. For example, I myslef got CSIS note and saw that they are investigating me under some acts. The first time I got CBSA note, the restriction was only on first act and the second time (after 3 months) one more act added to the previos one. I believe if all those acts that are in your CSIS note are in your restrictions in CBSA note means you are close to end of process. As I know the acts are investigating once the previous one is done.
Funny thing... my first CBSA exemptions were 13(1)a, 15(1) and 16(1)c, in my second ones, 19 (1) a, 21 and 22(1)b. Totally different.

apollonoob

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
I also notice that, but for me some acts are disappear in one note, but a few months later the disappeared acts pop up again. Very confusing

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
Hello, I have a question about possible security screening for citizenship. Do they always request fingerprints if placing someone for security screening or you can be placed there even without fingerprints requested?

Sekani619

Sep 6, 2023
I have been getting questions on what happens in a BGC a lot in the last few months. Even though in my post, “[A]natomy of an application” available on many threads, I do discuss this briefly, but I felt there was a need for a more exhaustive post. This post in no way accurately depicts the procedures adopted by the CSIS, Canada’s premier security agency, as their procedures are highly confidential and will never be made public. However, this post is an amalgamation of the information publically available, and my personal experiences with working for the governments and law enforcement agencies in different countries.

Since this is a long post and each post cannot be over 10000 characters, I am posting the entire post in replies. The post is alphabetically numbered.

So here it goes:

A. What is CSIS and its mandate?

Before we even venture into looking at how CSIS conducts background checks, it is essential to have a brief knowledge of CSIS and what it does. CSIS in its publication has introduced itself with the following statement:

“With the large number of homeland conflicts throughout the world,
preventing the importation of these conflicts into communities
in Canada is of particular concern to all Canadians.”

The mandate of the CSIS concerning security screening of immigrants is laid down in Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (hereinafter “the IRPA”). Sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS Act authorizes CSIS to provide security assessments for the review of immigration applications to the IRCC. These assessments relate directly to the security inadmissibility criteria contained in the IRPA, with the final decision resting with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

Unlike other intelligence services across the globe, CSIS until early 2000 did not operate on foreign soil and its operations concerned the protection of Canadian national security mainly against internal threats. However, since threats to the security of Canada can come from criminals or terrorists using Canadian soil to perpetrate attacks of terrorist activities, both within Canada and target foreign nations, CSIS was tasked with screening all applicants seeking admission into Canada through IRCC.

CSIS is tasked with conducting security clearance for all applicants in addition the police clearances certificates furnished by the applicants, for all applicants between the ages of 18 and 65 years. The BGC is conducted to detect applicants who are, or have been, involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism.

The screening of potential immigrants to Canada is a complex process that involves several government departments and agencies such as IRCC, Health Canada, Human Resources Development Canada, and RCMP [Royal Canadian Mounted Police] and CSIS, each of whom has specific responsibilities. A culmination of what these agencies do determines admissibility based on medical, criminality, security etc.

Specifically CSIS, in accordance with section 2 of CSIS Act, that deals with threats to the security of Canada. The IRPA in Division 4, specifically section 34 deals with the inadmissibility based on security, which is assessed by CSIS. Section 34 includes accessing the applicant for the following:

Security
34 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on security grounds for
a) engaging in an act of espionage that is against Canada or that is contrary to Canada’s interests;
b) engaging in or instigating the subversion by force of any government
a. engaging in an act of subversion against a democratic government, institution or process as they are understood in Canada;
c) engaging in terrorism;
d) being a danger to the security of Canada;
e) engaging in acts of violence that would or might endanger the lives or safety of persons in Canada; or
f) being a member of an organization that there are reasonable grounds to believe engages, has engaged or will engage in acts referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (b.1) or (c).

CSIS does what is known as risk management in the processing of security checks on prospective immigrants, role of CSIS focuses on those applicants who, on the basis of analysis and experience, are most likely to present a security risk. The advice provided by the CSIS assists the IRCC in determining whether prospective immigrants are inadmissible persons under the Immigration Act.

The assessment of CSIS is not binding on IRCC, and IRCC independently reviews the CSIS assessment in the final review before the application is approved. This is another reason for the delays, and more on this later.

B. When does your application go to CSIS?

Usually, the Security screening is the last step, but for some applicants, this starts early in the process. These applicants are PNP applicants. This is because a province has nominated them through their internal mechanism, thereby in a way giving them eligibility, and the role of IRCC greatly decreases, unlike FSW, CEC and other application where IRCC has to review every detail to ensure that the applicant meets the program requirement. This is another reason why PNP applications usually tend to be processed faster. More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days.
Please send me the link for your post on PNP Background check process (More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days.)

thanks

Feb 27, 2024
Bonjour, je suis candidat des provinces. Mon époux a été résident temporaire en Arabie saoudite pour raison professionnelle, on nous a lors de la peocédure demandé le certificat de police de sa période passée la-bas, ce qui a été fourni. quelques jours après l'avoir fourni, nous avons reçu notre PPR mais malheureusement les instructions erronées (tout était complété sur tracker): on appelle ircc pour qu'on nous rectifie les instructions et là à notre grande surprise on reçoit un courriel d'excuses stipulant que notre demande est toujours en cours d'évaluation et que nous devons ignorer le courriel reçu(celui du ppr),suite à cela, notre n de CDRP est supprimé, cependant, présentement, mes déposés sont toujours complétés alors que ceux de mon mari sont redevenus en cours. ça fait 5 mois depuis et nous n'avons reçu aucune nouvelle. je voudraisii savois si d'après vous mon époux est en SS? pourquoi ya eu l'envoie du premier PPR est-ce une erreur? Ai-je le droit de demander mes notes GCMS? que me conseillez-vous s'il vous plait? ps : quand j'appelle on me dit que la sécurité est en cours et que tout le reste est complété. merci
ps : ITA octobre 2022
DF janvier 2023
VMF , ADR, LSAA vers 2023
Septembre 2023 (ppr avec des instructions qui ne coïncident pas avec mon pays : instructions avec erreurs)
depuis demande en cours de traitement , sécurité du conjoint en cours et plus de nouvelles depuis 5 mois)