Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
Hi Legal Falcon,

Thanks for your response.

I am seeing in MyCIC account following for past one month:-

"Review of additional documents: We are reviewing the additional documents you provided."

What do you think about it?

Whether they are really reviewing my file?

Because I have not submitted any additional documents.
Hello, I am in the same situation and have asked legalfalcon about the issue on this thread. "It was a mass update, I wouldn't read too much into it" was his response. Hope this helps. Fingers crossed!

SERAPH_WAITingForPPR

Oct 17, 2017
Dear @legalfalcon I received new CSIS ATIP notes yesterday. It's just two page.
Here is the main info I get from the notes.
Does this mean CSIS requested CBSA to conduct my Security Check, and it is done from both CBSA and CSIS?

SCREENING REQUEST INFOMATION
AS OF 2018-03-19
SSRN#:
CLIENT: 2923 CBSA- GCMS
CATEGORY: PR OUT/IN
RECEIVED: 2017-04-26
SUB CLIENT: CASE PROCESSING CENTRE OTTAWA
PRIORITY: P3
CTC REQUIRED: N​

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
Dear @legalfalcon and others,

I am in SS for over 5 months now and the CSIS note says it is still in process. My question is once CSIS is done with the checks, do they then send the report to CBSA? If yes, how long does CBSA normally take to complete the checks?

I am just trying to figure out how long the whole process is going to take roughly. Thanks.

toppiri

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
01-06-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
Dear @legalfalcon and others,

I am in SS for over 5 months now and the CSIS note says it is still in process. My question is once CSIS is done with the checks, do they then send the report to CBSA? If yes, how long does CBSA normally take to complete the checks?

I am just trying to figure out how long the whole process is going to take roughly. Thanks.
Legalfalcon and seniors can confirm this, but as far as I know, it's CSIS first, then CBSA - and from what I read on this forum, CBSA may take longer. The only way to know what is exactly going on is to wait, then order CSIS notes again and after it says completed, order CBSA notes.

I don't remember seeing any case where CBSA checks are completed before CSIS but then again, there aren't many on SS so what do I know. I tried to ask CIC twice (by phone and via email) if my application was with CSIS or CBSA and they ignored my question both times. I gave up and ordered them.

Reactions: despacito2017

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
@toppiri, thanks for your response. It looks like it is going to be a long journey for me. I am going to wait for another month or two before I order a new CSIS/CBSA notes. I read people here recommending ordering CBSA instead of CSIS notes. But what if CSIS hasn't completed the checks yet? Will the CBSA notes be empty?

Amrni

Apr 3, 2018
I have been getting questions on what happens in a BGC a lot in the last few months. Even though in my post, “[A]natomy of an application” available on many threads, I do discuss this briefly, but I felt there was a need for a more exhaustive post. This post in no way accurately depicts the procedures adopted by the CSIS, Canada’s premier security agency, as their procedures are highly confidential and will never be made public. However, this post is an amalgamation of the information publically available, and my personal experiences with working for the governments and law enforcement agencies in different countries.

Since this is a long post and each post cannot be over 10000 characters, I am posting the entire post in replies. The post is alphabetically numbered.

So here it goes:

A. What is CSIS and its mandate?

Before we even venture into looking at how CSIS conducts background checks, it is essential to have a brief knowledge of CSIS and what it does. CSIS in its publication has introduced itself with the following statement:

“With the large number of homeland conflicts throughout the world,
preventing the importation of these conflicts into communities
in Canada is of particular concern to all Canadians.”

The mandate of the CSIS concerning security screening of immigrants is laid down in Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (hereinafter “the IRPA”). Sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS Act authorizes CSIS to provide security assessments for the review of immigration applications to the IRCC. These assessments relate directly to the security inadmissibility criteria contained in the IRPA, with the final decision resting with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

Unlike other intelligence services across the globe, CSIS until early 2000 did not operate on foreign soil and its operations concerned the protection of Canadian national security mainly against internal threats. However, since threats to the security of Canada can come from criminals or terrorists using Canadian soil to perpetrate attacks of terrorist activities, both within Canada and target foreign nations, CSIS was tasked with screening all applicants seeking admission into Canada through IRCC.

CSIS is tasked with conducting security clearance for all applicants in addition the police clearances certificates furnished by the applicants, for all applicants between the ages of 18 and 65 years. The BGC is conducted to detect applicants who are, or have been, involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism.

The screening of potential immigrants to Canada is a complex process that involves several government departments and agencies such as IRCC, Health Canada, Human Resources Development Canada, and RCMP [Royal Canadian Mounted Police] and CSIS, each of whom has specific responsibilities. A culmination of what these agencies do determines admissibility based on medical, criminality, security etc.

Specifically CSIS, in accordance with section 2 of CSIS Act, that deals with threats to the security of Canada. The IRPA in Division 4, specifically section 34 deals with the inadmissibility based on security, which is assessed by CSIS. Section 34 includes accessing the applicant for the following:

Security

34 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on security grounds for

a) engaging in an act of espionage that is against Canada or that is contrary to Canada’s interests;
b) engaging in or instigating the subversion by force of any government
a. engaging in an act of subversion against a democratic government, institution or process as they are understood in Canada;
c) engaging in terrorism;
d) being a danger to the security of Canada;
e) engaging in acts of violence that would or might endanger the lives or safety of persons in Canada; or
f) being a member of an organization that there are reasonable grounds to believe engages, has engaged or will engage in acts referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (b.1) or (c).

CSIS does what is known as risk management in the processing of security checks on prospective immigrants, role of CSIS focuses on those applicants who, on the basis of analysis and experience, are most likely to present a security risk. The advice provided by the CSIS assists the IRCC in determining whether prospective immigrants are inadmissible persons under the Immigration Act.

The assessment of CSIS is not binding on IRCC, and IRCC independently reviews the CSIS assessment in the final review before the application is approved. This is another reason for the delays, and more on this later.

B. When does your application go to CSIS?

Usually, the Security screening is the last step, but for some applicants, this starts early in the process. These applicants are PNP applicants. This is because a province has nominated them through their internal mechanism, thereby in a way giving them eligibility, and the role of IRCC greatly decreases, unlike FSW, CEC and other application where IRCC has to review every detail to ensure that the applicant meets the program requirement. This is another reason why PNP applications usually tend to be processed faster. More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days.

@legalfalcon , thanks for the informative respond Bro .
there is an issue which i believe your knowledge can help me to pass through .
i have applied in Ankara Office for a Student VISA and my eligibility is being passed as per the official email i have received from them. its being mentioned that i need to wait for the background check result and then the passport request notice will be issued .
appreciate if you please advice what items will be considered on background checks with the local police of the countries which we have traveled to for instance? what elements are important for the Canadian authorities in this particular case?
NOTE: i have been traveling back and forth to south east Asia frequently for a time frame of 10 months in 2011 and 12.
to conclude, i'd appreciate if you please advice the approximate time which i have to wait for the result .

Reactions: candefy0825

toppiri

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
01-06-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
@toppiri, thanks for your response. It looks like it is going to be a long journey for me. I am going to wait for another month or two before I order a new CSIS/CBSA notes. I read people here recommending ordering CBSA instead of CSIS notes. But what if CSIS hasn't completed the checks yet? Will the CBSA notes be empty?
Honestly, I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, I had read posts where people ordered CBSA notes, the results came back as "no record of ongoing investigation" (can't remember the exact wording) and as they had not ordered CSIS notes, they didn't know if their SS at CBSA level had not started yet or was already finished, so they had to order CSIS report anyway. I faced the same dilemma and went with CSIS to see if it says ongoing or completed, I won't order CBSA unless CSIS notes say completed - but it's just my opinion. @legalfalcon can correct if I'm wrong :)

EDIT: @PlimPlum read the first page of this thread!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: PlimPlum

Mamatha

Mar 19, 2018
Hi ,

Please advice,

I called up IRCC to know my application status.
Mine Jan 2018 19th AOR. Since FEB, March applicants receiving PPR, felt something wrong with my application. I gave them a call.
Agent said that, Criminality check is done, Other check not yet started. We have not transferred to any VO yet.
What does it mean ?
what are the checks are done and what are pending ?
Is my application moving ?
Please help me to understand my case please.

Amrni

Apr 3, 2018
@legalfalcon , thanks for the informative respond Bro .
there is an issue which i believe your knowledge can help me to pass through .
i have applied in Ankara Office for a Student VISA and my eligibility is being passed as per the official email i have received from them. its being mentioned that i need to wait for the background check result and then the passport request notice will be issued .
appreciate if you please advice what items will be considered on background checks with the local police of the countries which we have traveled to for instance? what elements are important for the Canadian authorities in this particular case?
NOTE: i have been traveling back and forth to south east Asia frequently for a time frame of 10 months in 2011 and 12.
to conclude, i'd appreciate if you please advice the approximate time which i have to wait for the result .

hi there fellows .
is there anyone who can help me on this please ?
i've been waiting quite a long time for a feedback but unfortunately none .
Thnx

Last edited:

strikeharsh

Apr 6, 2018
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi ,

Please advice,

I called up IRCC to know my application status.
Mine Jan 2018 19th AOR. Since FEB, March applicants receiving PPR, felt something wrong with my application. I gave them a call.
Agent said that, Criminality check is done, Other check not yet started. We have not transferred to any VO yet.
What does it mean ?
what are the checks are done and what are pending ?
Is my application moving ?
Please help me to understand my case please.
You are stuck at eligibility

haris777

Apr 26, 2018
@legalfalcon

Hello,

I applied for my PR on 2017-03-24 and its still in the background check process.

I requested for my notes which i received today. It does not say anything regarding my Security check.

All i see are updates of the inquires i have made recently and the Schdule A form i provided and that was in 2017 may.

Does this mean my security has not even started yet?

It has been over a year now and still there is no response.

please advise.

Thank you.

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
@legalfalcon

Hello,

I applied for my PR on 2017-03-24 and its still in the background check process.

I requested for my notes which i received today. It does not say anything regarding my Security check.

All i see are updates of the inquires i have made recently and the Schdule A form i provided and that was in 2017 may.

Does this mean my security has not even started yet?

It has been over a year now and still there is no response.

please advise.

Thank you.
You are likely in SS and GCMS notes at this point are useless. You can order CSIS or CBSA notes. For example, the CSIS notes will tell if you are in SS and whether they have completed your checks. Until they complete the checks, you don't see updates on your file because CIC hasn't received the reports from CSIS/CBSA, etc.

haris777

Apr 26, 2018
You are likely in SS and GCMS notes at this point are useless. You can order CSIS or CBSA notes. For example, the CSIS notes will tell if you are in SS and whether they have completed your checks. Until they complete the checks, you don't see updates on your file because CIC hasn't received the reports from CSIS/CBSA, etc.
Hello,

Thank you so much for your help.

One last thing any idea how can i request CBSA notes?

Regards.

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
Hello,

Thank you so much for your help.

One last thing any idea how can i request CBSA notes?

Regards.
There are many sites that offer help obtaining GCMS and other notes for a fee. You may be able to order it yourself if in Canada. Use the search button on the forum to see how others ordered the notes.

gary007

Nov 12, 2017
Hi
I have a question related to letter of content of RPRF .

I received an email from NDVO saying Pay the Right to permanent residence fees FOR YOU .
As in my case i am the prime applicant and my wife is dependent
Can you please help me in explaining that ?

Thanks
Kind Regards
Gary