+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Test Completed But BACKGROUND CHECK in progress.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Not much information, my BG check completed a week back after 2 fingerprints, I have read through the discussion boards and seen that a lot of applicants who have been waiting for LPP have got interview requests and then LPP gets completed almost immediately.
I suspect a lot of people whose passport stamps needed translations or some other discrepancy in the documents that needs clarification are scheduled for the interview, but with IRCC you never know.

The process is very slow for some and quick for others.

There is no clear process I feel so apart from waiting I don't see any way for now, if you see any movement do keep us posted
Yes I have the same feeling that I will eventually get an interview or passport page request. I just don't know why it's taking so long.

manmoi31

Jul 21, 2017
I’m really not sure how they are working on newer applications which are not even passed 6 months till they applied and forgot the old ones. Someone from end of Dec 2022 got Oath invite for May 1st. I can understand that we went to clearance process but our BGs are already completed and it should process faster than newer ones. Its not FIRST IN FIRST OUT, It’s LAST IN FIRST OUT.

Really unfair :(
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/december-2022-citizenship-applicants.781857/post-10430483

Reactions: may2019

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I’m really not sure how they are working on newer applications which are not even passed 6 months till they applied and forgot the old ones. Someone from end of Dec 2022 got Oath invite for May 1st. I can understand that we went to clearance process but our BGs are already completed and it should process faster than newer ones. Its not FIRST IN FIRST OUT, It’s LAST IN FIRST OUT.

Really unfair :(
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/december-2022-citizenship-applicants.781857/post-10430483
Unfortunately 2021 online applicants who are non routine (eg due to long security check, FP request etc) fell into a backlog. It is indeed very unfair :(

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
Unfortunately 2021 online applicants who are non routine (eg due to long security check, FP request etc) fell into a backlog. It is indeed very unfair :(
This is indeed crazy. But I guess what would have happened is IRCCs newly hired employees probably would have started working on applications submitted later rather than helping the old employees with backlogs. That’s what could be causing this. Which is unfair imo. I think there is a cluster of us from 2021 Sep to Dec who are still being processed slowly. (There are few outliers in early 2021 as well as 2020) The rest of the majority of the applicants belong to 2022 and they are still in a reasonable time frame. They could simply prioritize 2021 backlogs and be done and then focus 2022. But of course this won’t happen. Lol.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
This is indeed crazy. But I guess what would have happened is IRCCs newly hired employees probably would have started working on applications submitted later rather than helping the old employees with backlogs. That’s what could be causing this. Which is unfair imo. I think there is a cluster of us from 2021 Sep to Dec who are still being processed slowly. (There are few outliers in early 2021 as well as 2020) The rest of the majority of the applicants belong to 2022 and they are still in a reasonable time frame. They could simply prioritize 2021 backlogs and be done and then focus 2022. But of course this won’t happen. Lol.
yes I've noticed that also. Sep- Dec 2021 online applicants were the first to be subject to a limited quota, as paper applicants were prioritised. I also suspect that our lengthy "background check" was just a ruse. Lengthy security checks are supposed to be rare.

Anyway most people should see LPP and Oath within a month or so after background, so you're almost there. In my case It's taking longer.

Reactions: Alhtrek

superde

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
yes I've noticed that also. Sep- Dec 2021 online applicants were the first to be subject to a limited quota, as paper applicants were prioritised. I also suspect that our lengthy "background check" was just a ruse. Lengthy security checks are supposed to be rare.

Anyway most people should see LPP and Oath within a month or so after background, so you're almost there. In my case It's taking longer.
I really admire your spirit of encouraging others of possible LPP completion within a month after background. I have joined the queue of more a month wait for LPP like you. Hopefully this process will get to an end one day. For now, I have been forced to request for the renewal of my PR card which has since expired (since 2021) as I have a planned important trip in August.

Reactions: johnjkjk

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I really admire your spirit of encouraging others of possible LPP completion within a month after background. I have joined the queue of more a month wait for LPP like you. Hopefully this process will get to an end one day. For now, I have been forced to request for the renewal of my PR card which has since expired (since 2021) as I have a planned important trip in August.
Let's keep each other informed of progress!

By the way, do you have anything which you think may require extra checks regards physical presence? In my case, I am self-employed as a consultant and apparently this is a red flag as it doesn't help them to verify physical presence. I also took my test outside Canada (although I informed them of my return with proof- they could still want proof again). Otherwise I reckon I would have had oath by now

Reactions: ROCK ON

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021

By the way, do you have anything which you think may require extra checks regards physical presence? In my case, I am self-employed as a consultant and apparently this is a red flag as it doesn't help them to verify physical presence. I also took my test outside Canada (although I informed them of my return with proof- they could still want proof again). Otherwise I reckon I would have had oath by now
Well referring to the point of physical presence, that can be verified if passport pages with stamps are provided. I know there is no exit control when leaving, but the stamp date as well as the day when someone returns (recorded with CBSA) helps in verifying the physical presence.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Well referring to the point of physical presence, that can be verified if passport pages with stamps are provided. I know there is no exit control when leaving, but the stamp date as well as the day when someone returns (recorded with CBSA) helps in verifying the physical presence.
I provided all pages of my passport with my initial application. However as you say, due to lack of exit checks, they can, and sometimes do, ask for interview, further documents or even RQ to satisfy themselves.

Whatever they want from me (if at all), the problem is that my file is not actively being looked at by an officer. Scarborough just confirmed that it's "in queue to be reviewed by an officer". I don't know if this means a secondary review for RQ (scary situation), or just that my file is gathering dust somewhere.

Reactions: ROCK ON

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
I provided all pages of my passport with my initial application. However as you say, due to lack of exit checks, they can, and sometimes do, ask for interview, further documents or even RQ to satisfy themselves.

Whatever they want from me (if at all), the problem is that my file is not actively being looked at by an officer. Scarborough just confirmed that it's "in queue to be reviewed".
Atleast your test and background checks are completed, quickly you will start getting updates.

Reactions: johnjkjk

superde

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015

Yes I think I do. I became a PR in Dec 2015 but worked in home country up until July 2019 while still frequently visiting my family here in Canada. So I had a number of absences from Canada (about 9 trips abroad fell within the eligibility period of my citizenship application totaling 718 days). Just like you, I was proactive, I provided clear copies of all pages of my relevant passports including translated stamp for my eligibility period with my initial online application.

Also, after I came to stay finally in Canada, I was unemployed for a period of about a year (because of covid) before finally securing a job in 2021.

But not withstanding all these, I feel they can easily schedule an interview if they need to confirm any specific details instead of keep us hanging.

Meanwhile, on the GCMS notes i received on April 4th, the Location shows as "E- Grant Fingerprints received". I remember you saying that it should show "ready for review". Also, I got a Ghost update on March 24th ( 2 days after the GCMS was generated on March 22nd) that never translated to any real update on my file, so I'm thinking of ordering another GCMS note to see what really happened on March 24th.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Yes I think I do. I became a PR in Dec 2015 but worked in home country up until July 2019 while still frequently visiting my family here in Canada. So I had a number of absences from Canada (about 9 trips abroad fell within the eligibility period of my citizenship application totaling 718 days). Just like you, I was proactive, I provided clear copies of all pages of my relevant passports including translated stamp for my eligibility period with my initial online application.

Also, after I came to stay finally in Canada, I was unemployed for a period of about a year (because of covid) before finally securing a job in 2021.

But not withstanding all these, I feel they can easily schedule an interview if they need to confirm any specific details instead of keep us hanging.

Meanwhile, on the GCMS notes i received on April 4th, the Location shows as "E- Grant Fingerprints received". I remember you saying that it should show "ready for review". Also, I got a Ghost update on March 24th ( 2 days after the GCMS was generated on March 22nd) that never translated to any real update on my file, so I'm thinking of ordering another GCMS note to see what really happened on March 24th.
Yes, your travel and employment history could make it more complex. Agreed, if they have questions they should just schedule an interview and ask and be done with it! Not everyone has a long term stable well-paying job with Little to no travel and a homeowner to boot.

Interesting that you got a ghost update. You could try to call and ask if they can see any officer's notes (not all agents are helpful).

“E-grant review ready” for LPP in progress is my observation from other people’s past comments. Fingerprints ready is a new one to me- was it criminality or security that took time for you?

Mine is still at “test ready” which it’s been since at least June 2022 when I was invited for my test. Does your gcms say LPP are in progress? Mine are not started.

Last edited:

superde

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Yes, your travel and employment history could make it more complex. Agreed, if they have questions they should just schedule an interview and ask and be done with it! Not everyone has a long term stable well-paying job with Little to no travel and a homeowner to boot.

Interesting that you got a ghost update. You could try to call and ask if they can see any officer's notes (not all agents are helpful).

“E-grant review ready” for LPP in progress is my observation from other people’s past comments. Fingerprints ready is a new one to me- was it criminality or security that took time for you?

Mine is still at “test ready” which it’s been since at least June 2022 when I was invited for my test. Does your gcms say LPP are in progress? Mine are not started.
It was Criminality that took long for me. I should have 2 fingerprint reports with them. I did an initial first one but the RCMP officer omitted my file number on the FP report and it took IRCC a long time to update as I thought they could not link the FP to my application because of missing application number but this was later updated on March 14th (showed up on the tracker on March 16th). Meanwhile, because i was so anxious, I had gone ahead to do another FP with an approved Agency on March 15th before I saw the update of the 1st FP on March 16th on the Tracker. A part of me thinks it was probably the 2nd FP report that happened on the tracker on March 24th (the ghost update) but again i feel that was too early as it took them more than 2 months to update the 1st FP on the tracker.