VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Auone said:
Just to add to the above, I've got a job offer from the University of Western Ontario as Postdoctoral Fellow. NOC 4011. My contract start date is 16th of Spectember, so I'm really worried about the timelines :-[ :p
Oh, AOR is just "Acknowledge of receipt" by the Canadian Embassy. It is more formal in case of permanent residence applications. For us (temp visa applicants), it is mostly either automated confirmation for online app, or courier confirmation status of delivery (fedex or tcs).

So it is of no importance as far as you know that your application is in process i.e. file created and you have been provided with a file number.

I also have one obviously so that is not a concern.

Lastly, contract state dates might matter if it is something like for e.g. start of a degree. Otherwise general assumption is that if an employer applied for an LMO they would renew the offer. My original contract joining dates were from jan 2013, even before i put in an application to the embassy. But that is not a concern and my employer is following up.

If those dates are critical for your employer, may be they could write a support letter to the embassy. If they consider it similar to student visas, you might get preferential treatment. Otherwise, i have heard that people were asked to submit renewed offers around /after calls for medical.

Let's keep the thread alive and each other informed. This would help every one concerned here.

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
28-03-2013, 01-04-2014, 01-06-2015,05-08-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
fkl said:
Hi Zizu,

Thanks for the update. I applied on April 24th for twp for myself, owp for wife and trv / open study permit for kids. I have emailed embassy twice during this period. The latest response i received was a couple days back and it simply stated that it is still in process and under review.
I had seen a post a while ago on these forums (maybe in PNP application forum) where the guy mentioned that he got the OWP / TRV thing processed in 3 months time (he did it in april/may and got all sorted out by july... islamabad vo case, and that also got me motivated to do it since i was getting tired of waiting for my PNP app to finalize.... and I applied - now this is taking as much of waiting as my PNP app and I am wondering what was the point of spending $450/ on this :p

Oh well - on a serious note... You know what - I believe I have made a mistake in my app.... I've applied for my spouse and children as well - but I did not apply for my kids open study permit :(... (they are minors) ... am wondering how will that affect my application -- I hope I don't get refusal on that...

Do u know if I can apply for open study permit from within canada once I go there? or would I have to do it from here now...

zizu

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:
I had seen a post a while ago on these forums (maybe in PNP application forum) where the guy mentioned that he got the OWP / TRV thing processed in 3 months time (he did it in april/may and got all sorted out by july... islamabad vo case, and that also got me motivated to do it since i was getting tired of waiting for my PNP app to finalize.... and I applied - now this is taking as much of waiting as my PNP app and I am wondering what was the point of spending $450/ on this :p

Oh well - on a serious note... You know what - I believe I have made a mistake in my app.... I've applied for my spouse and children as well - but I did not apply for my kids open study permit :(... (they are minors) ... am wondering how will that affect my application -- I hope I don't get refusal on that...

Do u know if I can apply for open study permit from within canada once I go there? or would I have to do it from here now...

zizu
You will get the benefit of PNP because you won't have to apply again for permanent residence there.

It all depends upon timing too. A couple of my colleagues applied around dec 2012 - jan 2013 time frame and it took them exactly two months to get visa including medicals. Embassy was quite on low work load those days, no strikes or hypes in media about temp workers and reforms.

Lastly, i hope you won't have any issues with the open study permits and you can definitely apply for them from inside Canada.

If kids are school going, open study permit is the preference in application though i have seen many people get away with temp resident visa and only apply for study permit latter.

If they are younger (less than 6 years), then it is definitely temp resident visa and open study permit wont be needed when they get to school going age while already being in Canada. So i don't think you have any thing to worry as long as you have used the correct forms and paid the correct fee.

I actually lost two months (application returned twice being incomplete) due to issues with this. First the checklist on the islamabad website says "No separate application required for minors". So they asked for temp resident visas forms the first time (although i had clearly indicated ONE of my kids was school going and i applied for "open study permit" (which costs 25 CAD less). So the fee difference was the cause for the second time.

So you should be fine if you have applied for either ones as long as fee is correct. My case was also complex because a CAQ for study was also attached which i got through online application for which follow up was done by my employer's lawyer. (CAQ is only needed in Quebec).

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Oh, AOR is just "Acknowledge of receipt" by the Canadian Embassy. It is more formal in case of permanent residence applications. For us (temp visa applicants), it is mostly either automated confirmation for online app, or courier confirmation status of delivery (fedex or tcs).

So it is of no importance as far as you know that your application is in process i.e. file created and you have been provided with a file number.

I also have one obviously so that is not a concern.

Lastly, contract state dates might matter if it is something like for e.g. start of a degree. Otherwise general assumption is that if an employer applied for an LMO they would renew the offer. My original contract joining dates were from jan 2013, even before i put in an application to the embassy. But that is not a concern and my employer is following up.

If those dates are critical for your employer, may be they could write a support letter to the embassy. If they consider it similar to student visas, you might get preferential treatment. Otherwise, i have heard that people were asked to submit renewed offers around /after calls for medical.

Let's keep the thread alive and each other informed. This would help every one concerned here.
Thanks for the info. Well in my case, I did not require any LMO since the offered position is LMO exempt. And I think the dates mentioned are critical to the employer, since Postdoc positions are based on grants and such grants are available for a certain time period only. I think I'll wait for one more week and if nothing happens, I will get in touch with my employer asking them to contact the embassy.

One more question, I had an upfront medical examination, do you know how long is the medical examination valid for?

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
Auone said:
Thanks for the info. Well in my case, I did not require any LMO since the offered position is LMO exempt. And I think the dates mentioned are critical to the employer, since Postdoc positions are based on grants and such grants are available for a certain time period only. I think I'll wait for one more week and if nothing happens, I will get in touch with my employer asking them to contact the embassy.

One more question, I had an upfront medical examination, do you know how long is the medical examination valid for?
the slowness of process is due to PAFSO strike and it doesn`t look like ending anytime soon. And as per CIC website high priority cases, lik refugee é humanitarian cases are addressed first as priority during this strike. so my suggestion is that you apprise your employer of the situation right now rather than waiting for one more week. Although I doubt your employer will be able to do anything in this regard... as the whole tourism, education, employment industry has been hit due to this strike and everyone is feeling the pinch - except the government

zizu

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zizu said:
the slowness of process is due to PAFSO strike and it doesn`t look like ending anytime soon. And as per CIC website high priority cases, lik refugee é humanitarian cases are addressed first as priority during this strike. so my suggestion is that you apprise your employer of the situation right now rather than waiting for one more week. Although I doubt your employer will be able to do anything in this regard... as the whole tourism, education, employment industry has been hit due to this strike and everyone is feeling the pinch - except the government

zizu
Thanks for the advice, I've sent an email to my supervisor at U of W, explaining the whole situation. Lets see how it goes. He'll get in touch directly with CHC, Isb.

And could you please answer my previous question, i.e., How long are the medical exams valid for?

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
Auone said:
Thanks for the advice, I've sent an email to my supervisor at U of W, explaining the whole situation. Lets see how it goes. He'll get in touch directly with CHC, Isb.

And could you please answer my previous question, i.e., How long are the medical exams valid for?

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.
sorry mate - can't answer the medical question as I didn't even know there was an option to do medical in advance. My understanding is that you can do medical once you receive the medical request... maybe fkl can elaborate on this.

zizu

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zizu said:
sorry mate - can't answer the medical question as I didn't even know there was an option to do medical in advance. My understanding is that you can do medical once you receive the medical request... maybe fkl can elaborate on this.

zizu
no problem man, thanks for the info.......yeah you can have a medical examination upfront......cost 5600 PKR.........for me it was the PCCs, the main problem since i had to get one from UK as well..........

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:

zizu
Yeah this is the same thing that i know i.e. it is not generally recommended or possible to get medical upfront in advance. At least not recommended by the Islamabad embassy. Although i know this is the norm in other embassies such as those in India, but not here.

So i don't know any thing about its validity. Though i can tell you that from the date of medical, you have one year before entering Canada i.e. if your visa is issued but you delay your departure such that more than one year has passed since the date of medical, you will have to do it again.

Police certificates are probably valid for six months only. But this merely applies to application being received at the embassy, not beyond that.

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Yeah this is the same thing that i know i.e. it is not generally recommended or possible to get medical upfront in advance. At least not recommended by the Islamabad embassy. Although i know this is the norm in other embassies such as those in India, but not here.

So i don't know any thing about its validity. Though i can tell you that from the date of medical, you have one year before entering Canada i.e. if your visa is issued but you delay your departure such that more than one year has passed since the date of medical, you will have to do it again.

Police certificates are probably valid for six months only. But this merely applies to application being received at the embassy, not beyond that.
Actually, I applied to Islamabad embassy tpp, and had medical done by IOM. When I mentioned I wanted upfront medical exam, they just proceeded with my request and said you can take an upfront medical exam, and at the end they just provided me with a form which they said i should to CHC in Isb. If the validity is one year, then I dont think i should be receiving any medical request, but I just did that to save time, just in case.

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
Auone said:
Actually, I applied to Islamabad embassy tpp, and had medical done by IOM. When I mentioned I wanted upfront medical exam, they just proceeded with my request and said you can take an upfront medical exam, and at the end they just provided me with a form which they said i should to CHC in Isb. If the validity is one year, then I dont think i should be receiving any medical request, but I just did that to save time, just in case.
Well yesterday I got my medical request form... Wasn't expecting so soon considering the strike... But hey... It's good....

Zizu

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zizu said:
Well yesterday I got my medical request form... Wasn't expecting so soon considering the strike... But hey... It's good....

Zizu
Great news, all the best then! Hopefully, you'll get ur visa soon!

RizwanAB

Apr 1, 2013
DEAR FKL,

A very wise and helpful thing you did by this thread. Thanks

I applied for TFW paper based application on 20 March 2013, and received the file no. on 10th JUNE 2013.

My Application included:

LMO
EMPLOYER JOB CONTRACT
MY ORIGINAL EDUCATIONAL DOCUMENTS
PREVIOUS JOB EXPERIENCE DOCUMENTS
ID AND PASSPORT COPIES only not original AND ALL THE APPLICATIONS FILLED & SIGNED FORMS

That'all..........ARE THESE THE RIGHT ONE'S .........PLZ ADVISE.

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RizwanAB said:
DEAR FKL,

I applied for TFW paper based application on 20 March 2013, and received the file no. on 10th JUNE 2013.

My Application included:

LMO
EMPLOYER JOB CONTRACT
ID AND PASSPORT COPIES only not original AND ALL THE APPLICATIONS FILLED & SIGNED FORMS

Did you submit your bank statements or some other proof of ur financial situation? Like a letter from your current employer stating your current salary? Plus evidence of ur family ties here in Pakistan? These things are used to judge the probability of an applicant returning back to Pakistan at the end of the stipulated contract period and they are very important.

Plus the police certificates from all countries where you've lived for more than 6 months, since the age of 18.

fkl might elaborate this in greater detail

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
RizwanAB said:
DEAR FKL,

My Application included:

LMO
EMPLOYER JOB CONTRACT

I am glad i am able to find others finally and it is definitely mutually helpful. I originally applied on Feb 24th, my application was returned twice (being incorrect requirements stated by embassy, but nevertheless made me lose two months. Final correct submission was dated April 24th and i received file number in early june. Until last week upon being contacted by myself as well as my employer, the only response we got was, "in process and under review".

As Auone rightly pointed out there should have been several other things including those you have mentioned already (some of these won't apply to you if you applied alone - i applied with wife and kids). Many of these were not specifically written any where, but were indicated by my employer's lawyer from Canada that i must submit.

1. Police certificates from all places we have lived since the age of 18 (for both me and my wife).
2. Forms for wife and kids, birth certificates and family registration certs, Form B, nikkah nama with translation, NICs.
3. Bank statements (having funds is not important, it proves and shows i earn what i claim on paper and salary has been transferred regularly in my accounts). It also shows ties to Pakistan specially when you dont have a property etc. in your name.
4. Salary slips from current employer, for the last couple months.
5. Resume describing my entire experience (along with past experience letters)
6. Notarized (signed, stamped translated copies of all documents in urdu - unless document contains english translation as well. This includes things like nikkah nama, some of original degrees, birth certificates etc.)
7. In case one is destined for Quebec, it requires work and study CAQ's (already obtained via my employer online)
8. Of course you would have already included things like Fee receipt, two passport sized photographs as specified for each applicant and copies of bio data pages of passports along with originals.
9. If any property in your name, evidence of that.

That should be pretty much it.