Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
How can she claim EI?

IUser

Jan 7, 2015
You had not mentioned earlier that your husband is a Canada-resident PR. It would be best if he starts the PR process for your baby right away instead of the TRV>>inland PR route
I though to apply TRV first, when its approved we could start his PR process before he enters Canada. Am I thinking right? Please correct me if I'm wrong
Which one is faster INLAND or OUTLAND?
If he starts PR first, does applying TRV after then cause any rejection?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My baby was born in India.
I'm on my EI right now, this is based on the work hours I covered the previous year.
Did you contact Service Canada that you are outside of Canada since giving birth and they are okay with that?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I though to apply TRV first, when its approved we could start his PR process before he enters Canada. Am I thinking right? Please correct me if I'm wrong
Which one is faster INLAND or OUTLAND?
If he starts PR first, does applying TRV after then cause any rejection?
I would still recommend that your husband starts the PR process for your baby first. Do not apply for his TRV.

No, applying later for a TRV won't result in a PR refusal

Reactions: IUser

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you contact Service Canada that you are outside of Canada since giving birth and they are okay with that?
It is mat leave benefits not EI due to unemployment. Different rules. Although you should be careful how long you stay out of Canada because you may be responsible for paying back any prenatal care you received if you spend too much time out of Canada. It seems like you may have been out of country for many months if you were able to fly to India before the birth. You need to follow the same rules as the snowbirds! You and your baby may both have to wait up to 3 months tobhave access to health care when you go back to Canada. I would really recommend getting health insurance for your baby for those 3 months because babies get sick easily and can end up in the ER. Obviously you will have to cover the cost of routine visits depending on your province.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUser and Bryanna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Although she is entitled to mat leave because it is based on the hours you worked before giving birth. Definitely not entitled to child benefit if the baby is not in Canada.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I didn’t say she is not entitled to maternity benefits but I am curious how did she apply when she went abroad before giving birth, Service Canada is okay even if you have foreign address? and has been away for more than 10 months or more.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I didn’t say she is not entitled to maternity benefits but I am curious how did she apply when she went abroad before giving birth, Service Canada is okay even if you have foreign address? and has been away for more than 10 months or more.
I assume her husband is in Canada and have a Canadian home address and it is set up through direct deposit. If she has been away for 10 months that starts to effects a lot of things. Also could have taken mat leave at 36 weeks or earlier and signed up in person before leaving.

IUser

Jan 7, 2015
If she has been away for 10 months that starts to effects a lot of things. Also could have taken mat leave at 36 weeks or earlier and signed up in person before leaving.
I'm away for about an year now. Will be back to Canada in April. Can you please let me know what exactly would get affected?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to speak to someone or figure out yourself how you need to file your taxes while being out of the country for the year. You have to reenroll in your provincial health care system. You have been outside the country for too long so you must reactivate your account and wait up to 3 months depending on where you live. You should have advised them of your long absence before you left. If by chance you have been claiming child benefit you need to pay back the months you have received. If you left in January last year you will be responsible for paying back any health care you received in your province in 2017 since you did not meet the residence requirement.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Did you apply EI before your left? Or after giving birth? Using Canadian address or foreign address.

IUser

Jan 7, 2015
IMO, you must apply first for your baby.... then move back to Canada.... wait for a couple of months before applying for your step-mom.

I would not go for either of these options: It would seem unusual/not convincing i.e. she wants to meet your friends when you're in India (you're her immediate family member)

As your dad has passed away, her family ties to India will be lesser than those to Canada. That's why her paperwork must be prepared really well

Hi Bryanna,
I'm thinking to apply US visa for my step-mom for two weeks trip.
1. Once its granted and she completes her travel, can I apply for her TRV application under CAN+ program?
2. Will this improve chances of TRV acceptance?
3. Please let me know if two weeks appear very short?

Many thanks for your continued help and support!