+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestion please: Canada or India (Imp)

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sheena1983 said:
Ht7 - tht depends on my kids - i did not like it - so instead of assuming ur way that thy will like it which thy did not see - chances r they might like what i am doing...u have 50% chance & i have 50% chance...lets see...i will try to give them everything in the world....lets c...by the way r u saying everyone in India suffering because they dont have Canadian PR/Citizenship??? i dont agree...
I am not saying everyone in India is suffering because of their citizenship. You are employing a straw man argument (google it). So you are taking a 50% chance that your kids will suffer . I say 100% when they have to battle for 10th and 12th exam craziness and are forced to do engineering to have a good income. God forbid if they are individualistic people or prefer alternative lifestyles, which are impossible in India.

If I were you, I would battle for 5 years, get their Canada passport and then move back to India. Then you and your kids will have the OPTION to return IF you or they want. If you go back now, neither you nor your kids will have any option.

I would also like to say that it was YOU who asked for opinions. Now that you are getting them, you are becoming hostile because most of them go against your pre conceived notions. If your mind was made up, why ask on this forum?

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnsyk said:
I have a question for people living in Canada presently. Based on the OP's initial post, one of her issues with Canada was lack of investment opportunities.

In India, if we have X amount of money, we have options of putting it in FD, Post office, Unit linked Insurance, Mutual funds etc which all give between 9 to 14% Return.

In Canada, bank FD rates are dismal. So how does one invest in non real estate options?

Thanks!
Sure, you get 9-14% in India. But then you also have a comparable rate of inflation. Besides, India doesn't make a lot of things. So almost everything you need for a middle class life is imported. As a result, the Indian rupee consistently depreciates against 1st world currencies. So you are getting 9-14%, but things are becoming expensive by a similar, if not more, rate.

I invest in index funds in the US, I think it should be possible to do the same in Canada.

adilkhan31

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Allrighty then, quite a lot of activity here. So OP first starts a thread asking for suggestions. And then we get sarcasm in return. Jai Ho!

Not that it matters, I am disappointed with OP's reasoning. You seriously are pissed off when doctors don't give you a truck load of medication? You say repeatedly that if you are intelligent/Rockstar material you will be awesome in India. I think that logic will be valid on Mars too. Being good at what you do makes you valuable in any society.

3-5 times more money than India? A simple search on Google would have given you the salary range in Canada. Ha, not so intelligent there ;-)
More than 6 billion people walking the planet do stuff on their own. Even though things don't get done 'automatically' for them, they are I am assuming mostly happy. Say no to war and feudalism.
Lastly the Bollywood reference to the 'hawa' thing. I have my own list of movies which show a slightly different but real side of India. The nominees for Best Movie promoting my argument are Pink, Rang De Basanti, Black Friday, Damini, Dor and Lajja. I am not nominating Gunda here because it is beyond cinema (please watch it though, it will help you appreciate almost all other things in life).

All said and done, please don't take any of this personally. You asked for suggestions, you are getting more than INR 500 & 1000 can buy now.

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
sheena1983 said:
suggestion please - very important decision but hard to make: Thinking of moving back to India...please advise...

We recently moved to Canada on a PR visa from India. got a very good job with $80K full time employment. This is my 3rd job in 2 months - i didn't like the first 2 though the salary was almost same in all 3...
Basically OP admits defeat too soon, only after like 2 or 3 months. She/he doesn't have enough willpower to at least stay in Canada for more than one year to see how things will work out. Looks like he/she mostly misses his/her maid and drivers and other luxuries in India -> cultural shock.

This is all caused by the lack of research and mental preparation before applying for PR. Their version of Canadian dream is broken.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i dont understand why is there so much negativity being driven towards them.... people have different problems, even no problem is a problem :)

canadian dream broken, simple google search for salaries... blah blah... i mean cmon guys - dont have any other better things to do than rub salt into wounds?? oh yeah, thats a humans favourite past time ...

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thestunner316 said:
i dont understand why is there so much negativity being driven towards them

maybe because she first asked for advice and when offered some, started arguing in a condescending manner. I am glad she is going back to India, her attitude wont go far in a 1st world country.

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
ht7 said:
maybe because she first asked for advice and when offered some, started arguing in a condescending manner. I am glad she is going back to India, her attitude wont go far in a 1st world country.
Comment of the thread. We can stop here.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ht7 said:
i apologise... i had only read the original post, not the ones after that...

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
sheena1983 said:
see this is what I am afraid of - I might start thinking like u...discouraging someone from practicing freedom on such forums and rigorously demotivating by directly saying don't come on this forum ....this is one of the reason which i did not mention in my previous post - but wanted ppl to show...

vensak: u cracked the code - now u know y i moved here....though i clearly mentioned y i moved here - but still u 'cracked the code'...

Ht7 - tht depends on my kids - i did not like it - so instead of assuming ur way that thy will like it which thy did not see - chances r they might like what i am doing...u have 50% chance & i have 50% chance...lets see...i will try to give them everything in the world....lets c...by the way r u saying everyone in India suffering because they dont have Canadian PR/Citizenship??? i dont agree...

DEEPCUR - i pray nobody's kid have to go thru this...but wen someones kid is sick n doc says it is normal here - someone is awake whole night because of their kids fever and then they go to other hospital there doc says same - its normal here...then I wud certainly judge country based on the facilities & options available for my kids...i did not say junk food made me fit - i said i was fit irrespective of what i eat - maybe weather or some other thing cud have been thot to this - but so much out of the box! wow...

Well I see where u all r coming from...again i wud say- i had beautiful +rich + happy life in India......Thank u all others....i am just following my heart...i did not like it here.....like i said - money + fresh air + water + easy things + almost everything is there for me...i lived poor life & enjoyed rich life there - i know how to get work done in India...i know where to shop ;) ...maybe thats y i am little inclined towards money but that is the fact for me....I wanted to see life here - i saw - did not like - going back...thank you all...yeah here for few more days tho (wrapping n packing)....
Towards the end, you said you wanted to see how life is in Canada. You could have easily done that on a visitor's visa for 6 months. You are in denial - You do not want to admit that it was your lack of research and preparation that has ultimately resulted in your decision to move back.

I do respect your decision - you do whatever you think is the best for you. However, blaming the interest rates of deposits in Canada and loathing the country for not being able to "earn X times your Indian salary" rather than blaming your research about Canada and preparation is abysmal.

I wish you good luck in all your endeavors. Good luck!

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apologies for reopening this thread. Could not resist myself :p

Does anyone know if Sheena is still in Canada or back to India? I could not read all the posts on this thread, however I am confused about some of the points she made. While she mentioned only her salary for Canada, it seems she included all her earnings for India (probably included her husband's earning & interest income etc). When I was in Canada for 2 years, I used to send my money to India. I prepaid my home loan (thus saved me 10% interest), & I could have still bought MF, shares, earned interest by depositing in my Indian account, could have bought property & rented it out etc etc. Probably couple of things worked against her. Small kid - she had to pay lot of amount for daycare. & it seems her experience at job was also not good. I had very good experience in that regard. I used to work from home approx once a week, which is not possible in India even for same client. I spent more quality time with my family there.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
softwaretesting said:
Does anyone know if Sheena is still in Canada or back to India?
;D ;D I am curious too, it is like waiting for finale of game of thrones :)

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
It totally depends on what your motivation is.

Immigration does not really benefit the first generation. By the time you work and pay off your mortgage, it's time to retire. Kids will benefit.

I am an Indian from a big city in India and currently living in the UK. I have never visited Canada before but I am aiming for permanent residence hoping for a life better than India or the UK. There are certain comforts and conveniences available in the western world that is not available or won't be available in India in the near future. In the UK, if I buy an item and realise I dont want it, I can simply return it to the store with 28 days and say that I have changed my mind. In India, shopkeepers wont accept returns. You have to exchange after 12 as they have some boni business before that. I can order groceries online and they come to my doorstep. India offers online grocery delivery but the fresh produce is not as good. It is these simple conveniences that matter.

How many women can actually wear what they want in India without being judged by society and without being stared at my lecherous men. how many women would feel safe taking the night bus home.

On an Indian passport, you have to pay visa fees for most countries as the Indian passport is not too strong.

I am from a big city in India. There are no open spaces. Parks are few and far. If there is a pavement to walk, there are hawkers. If there are no hawkers, a motorbike will ride over the pavement rather than the road. I can tolerate the cold but Indian summer is too hot. There is lots of pollution and it will only increase. Promotions are given according to age and not skill. Healthcare has become a business. You put down the money before you are offered treatment. There are caste based reservation that even someone with 98% marks will not get through Delhi university because half of the seats are reserved. There is too much of red tape. The recent demonetisation happened to curb black money and increase cashless transactions. It will take a long time to achieve that cashless economy. There are indirect taxes. I don't mind paying swach bharat tax as long as bharat is really swach. I haven't seen any before and after results. I don't mind paying farmer taxes as long as farmers are bailed out due to harsh weather conditions. Instead of bailing our poor farmers, super rich Vijay Mallaya is asking to be bailed out. He is cooling his heels off in the UK and nothing is being done about it.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration does not really benefit the first generation. By the time you work and pay off your mortgage, it's time to retire. Kids will benefit.

I don't mind paying swach bharat tax as long as bharat is really swach. I haven't seen any before and after results. I don't mind paying farmer taxes as long as farmers are bailed out due to harsh weather conditions. Instead of bailing our poor farmers, super rich Vijay Mallaya is asking to be bailed out. He is cooling his heels off in the UK and nothing is being done about it.
[/quote]

well said, +1
only problem with indian demonitisation was it did become a cashless economy, nobody had any cash to buy things with lol... but thats a different story altogether.

another extremely valid point i would like to add is in india you pay a crazy amount of tax as income tax... i mean i was in sales (this is back in 2008) and one year i paid 1.67lk tax (ok agreed i didnt have any tax planning in place) becoz i was earning loads of commission and commision was 33% deductable directly...

what did i get for paying tax exactly ? absolutely nothing... we dont have free education (or atleast even subsidized), no healthcare, broken roads, poor security, everything which is expected if you are from a tax paying country...

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
//what did i get for paying tax exactly ? absolutely nothing... we dont have free education (or atleast even subsidized), no healthcare, broken roads, poor security, everything which is expected if you are from a tax paying country...//

This is partly wrong. We do have free education and free hospitals, just that they are corrupt and are of poor standards. Most state government run schools are free of cost, provide free uniforms, and provide mid day meals. I know plenty of folks in my circle who are from low income group, studied in govt. schools and rose to great heights. Of course, the standards aren't great, but there is definitely something. Central govt. schools like Kendriya Vihar, IIT schools have great standards and charge very nominal fees too.

And I hope you know government hospitals are free too (or charge a namesake price). Places like Adayar cancer institute provide services based on income. If you fall under low income category, every treatment is free for you. Wait times, standard etc. are different story, but we do have a defined welfare system.

Most states even have unemployment pension, but nobody knows about it, and even if you know, you know what it would take to get one.

The biggest problem is everything is corrupt to the core. Owing to that the facilities are sub standard.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DEEPCUR said:
//what did i get for paying tax exactly ? absolutely nothing... we dont have free education (or atleast even subsidized), no healthcare, broken roads, poor security, everything which is expected if you are from a tax paying country...//

This is partly wrong. We do have free education and free hospitals, just that they are corrupt and are of poor standards. Most state government run schools are free of cost, provide free uniforms, and provide mid day meals. I know plenty of folks in my circle who are from low income group, studied in govt. schools and rose to great heights. Of course, the standards aren't great, but there is definitely something. Central govt. schools like Kendriya Vihar, IIT schools have great standards and charge very nominal fees too.

And I hope you know government hospitals are free too (or charge a namesake price). Places like Adayar cancer institute provide services based on income. If you fall under low income category, every treatment is free for you. Wait times, standard etc. are different story, but we do have a defined welfare system.

Most states even have unemployment pension, but nobody knows about it, and even if you know, you know what it would take to get one.

The biggest problem is everything is corrupt to the core. Owing to that the facilities are sub standard.
well the standard for education and hospitals is so poor that it almost counts as nothing... and yes i agree corruption is the biggest problem.

"defined welfare system? " sure, if you say so... :)