+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for Refugee Claimant.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
Have you been accepted as a protected person in Canada? Have you had your hearing?
Yes I have.
I want to apply for the Study permit but I don't understand how I show them the proof of funds. Should I ask for a letter from my university's OSAP department or something?
And for my passport, should I just change the date and give a letter explaining why I did what I did?
I am so confused. My study session is starting in September and I don't want to be late.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I have.
I want to apply for the Study permit but I don't understand how I show them the proof of funds. Should I ask for a letter from my university's OSAP department or something?
And for my passport, should I just change the date and give a letter explaining why I did what I did?
I am so confused. My study session is starting in September and I don't want to be late.
You should probably provide your notice of decision letter and explain that your passport is expired because you have an asylum claim. Not sure about the OSAP. You are in a fairly unusual situation. Generally protected people are not in the financial position to attend university soon after they are approved since OSAP usually doesn’t cover all your living costs. Maybe someone else will have more experience.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
You should probably provide your notice of decision letter and explain that your passport is expired because you have an asylum claim. Not sure about the OSAP. You are in a fairly unusual situation. Generally protected people are not in the financial position to attend university soon after they are approved since OSAP usually doesn’t cover all your living costs. Maybe someone else will have more experience.
Yeah I don't have any living costs problem because I'll be living with my family (my parents will be providing me at home). So OSAP will only cover my tuition which I believe is enough. So should I apply online and then attach an additional letter explaining my situation? I am kind of freaking out because I don't want to be late for my study session. Anyways, thanks for your help.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
I applied for my study permit 3 months ago.medical wasn’t required,I only showed OSAP confirmation and payslips.was approved in 30 days!
Hi! I will be applying for a study permit soon. I just had a few questions in mind, if you can answer them.
Was there any processing fee for the study permit being a convention refugee?
Also, when you said OSAP confirmation slip, where can I find them? I have applied for OSAP. But don't know where I can find any sort of confirmation? I am a protected person. If maybe you can show me an example of what you posted? That would be great.
Did you apply online or on paper? Let me know. Thanks!

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
Hi! I will be applying for a study permit soon. I just had a few questions in mind, if you can answer them.
Also, when you said OSAP confirmation slip, where can I find them? I have applied for OSAP. But don't know where I can find any sort of confirmation? I am a protected person. If maybe you can show me an example of what you posted? That would be great.
no i didint had to pay any fees.i took a screenshot of osap's funding summary

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
I am sorry for any inconvenience but when is OSAP's funding summary released? Its already mid june and I have to apply for the study permit
i assume that ur class is gonna start on sept/Aug.enough time to get the permit.or take a screensoot of estimated funding amount from OSAP account.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
i assume that ur class is gonna start on sept/Aug.enough time to get the permit.or take a screensoot of estimated funding amount from OSAP account.
Hey i was also wondering if you attached a copy of the refugee decision letter? If yes, then in which section?

Christa Flore

Oct 31, 2019
I am a refugee claimant but entered with a student visa and was given a study permit. Can I use the study permit I was given when entering the country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a refugee claimant but entered with a student visa and was given a study permit. Can I use the study permit I was given when entering the country?
Did you get a new study permit after you claimed asylum? Your previous study permit gets cancelled when you file for asylum and you must stop studying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. I have not. Thank you, I guess I will have to wait.
You can try to apply for one while you are claiming asylum. Some are approved. You would have to pay international fees. The priority is for asylum claimants to work so they can support themselves while waiting to see if they will be approved for asylum.