+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for Refugee Claimant.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Hello all,

Do you know if the Refugee Claimant entitled for Study Permit given he has a work permit, SIN, and university admission for master degree in Canada?

Is it similar to the work permit application?
It looks kind of tricky, please share your experience.

Thank you.

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
Hello all,

Do you know if the Refugee Claimant entitled for Study Permit given he has a work permit, SIN, and university admission for master degree in Canada?

Is it similar to the work permit application?
It looks kind of tricky, please share your experience.

Thank you.
Yes a claimant can apply for a study permit.in some cases claimant can even remain in Canada as a student after his/her claim get rejected.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Yes a claimant can apply for a study permit.in some cases claimant can even remain in Canada as a student after his/her claim get rejected.
Thank you dear,

Do you know if a medical exam and other requirements are required similar to normal study permit or it's easier given I'm already living and working here since around two years?

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
Thank you dear,

Do you know if a medical exam and other requirements are required similar to normal study permit or it's easier given I'm already living and working here since around two years?
I applied for my study permit 3 months ago.medical wasn’t required,I only showed OSAP confirmation and payslips.was approved in 30 days!

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
I applied for my study permit 3 months ago.medical wasn’t required,I only showed OSAP confirmation and payslips.was approved in 30 days!
Congrats!
But if you were OSAP approved then you have residency in Canada and you don't need a study permit?
In my case, no OSAP, and I'm waiting for a hearing so I'm not sure how they deal with such cases?

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
Congrats!
But if you were OSAP approved then you have residency in Canada and you don't need a study permit?
In my case, no OSAP, and I'm waiting for a hearing so I'm not sure how they deal with such cases?
I had a positive decision last year and as a protected person u r eligible for OSAP

Reactions: luckyrefugee

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
Good one! thank you, I thought you would only need a work permit.

Did you apply online? CZ it asks for a medical exam in front?
Yes I applied online and wasnt ask for medical.the medical I did during my claimant had validity I guess.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
Hi there,

I am a convention refugee who has to apply for a study permit as I'll be going to a university is fall 2019. My passport has already expired, so what should i write on the "expiry date" place on the application as the expired dates can not be accepted.
Also, to apply for a study permit, I have to show proof of funds. The only method of paying I have for university is OSAP. What should I be attaching exactly? I haven't recieved any osap confirmation letter whatsoever. Please let me know ASAP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I am a convention refugee who has to apply for a study permit as I'll be going to a university is fall 2019. My passport has already expired, so what should i write on the "expiry date" place on the application as the expired dates can not be accepted.
Also, to apply for a study permit, I have to show proof of funds. The only method of paying I have for university is OSAP. What should I be attaching exactly? I haven't recieved any osap confirmation letter whatsoever. Please let me know ASAP.
Have you been accepted as a protected person in Canada? If not you don’t qualify for OSAP.

Reactions: squreshi04

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
Yes I have.
I want to apply for the Study permit but I don't understand how I show them the proof of funds. Should I ask for a letter from my university's OSAP department or something?
And for my passport, should I just change the date and give a letter explaining why I did what I did?
I am so confused. My study session is starting in September and I don't want to be late.