+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for Refugee Claimant.

Paladinrules

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Hi Samer.
I am in 19th month of PR and still waiting.
You can join the PR timeline for refugees.
Because of covid now we are delaying for months.
Jalal
Hey, did you use GCKey? how much showing your bar code and did they ask for any supporting documentation yet?

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
I had a positive decision last year and as a protected person u r eligible for OSAP
can you please elaborate the process of applying for study permit. We need acceptance letter from university and for financial we need osap confirmation. So before applying for study permit we need to have both of these in hand right?

secondly if you have valid work permit can you still apply for study permit ?

thirdly can you work part time while studying ? And on osap

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
Hi there,

I am a convention refugee who has to apply for a study permit as I'll be going to a university is fall 2019. My passport has already expired, so what should i write on the "expiry date" place on the application as the expired dates can not be accepted.
Also, to apply for a study permit, I have to show proof of funds. The only method of paying I have for university is OSAP. What should I be attaching exactly? I haven't recieved any osap confirmation letter whatsoever. Please let me know ASAP.

Two things:

1. You can input the last date of the year. For example 2020-12-31. After this write a letter explaining what you did and why you did this. Attached this letter to the application before submitting.

2. You can attach a document from the OSAP application if you have started one or show any kind of bank balance. You could even mention future application for Osap in the letter you wrote earlier.

Reactions: luckyrefugee

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Two things:

1. You can input the last date of the year. For example 2020-12-31. After this write a letter explaining what you did and why you did this. Attached this letter to the application before submitting.

2. You can attach a document from the OSAP application if you have started one or show any kind of bank balance. You could even mention future application for Osap in the letter you wrote earlier.
I am confused to apply study permit first or osap. As my course starting in October this year. But I think I should apply study permit with explanation letter in funds section that I will apply for osap

Right

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
I am confused to apply study permit first or osap. As my course starting in October this year. But I think I should apply study permit with explanation letter in funds section that I will apply for osap

Right
So the thing is, you'll be eligible for OSAP as long as you have a valid SIN number which is directly connected to your Work Permit validity. So you can apply for OSAP whenever you want. It depends on your study period. However, you could also explain in that letter that you'll apply for OSAP in the future. However doing it before and receiving some kind of paper work would be preferable.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
So the thing is, you'll be eligible for OSAP as long as you have a valid SIN number which is directly connected to your Work Permit validity. So you can apply for OSAP whenever you want. It depends on your study period. However, you could also explain in that letter that you'll apply for OSAP in the future. However doing it before and receiving some kind of paper work would be preferable.
Hmm thanks for your help I appreciate. The other question I have is when study permit is issued the work permit also remain valid. Can I still work or only can study ?

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
Hmm thanks for your help I appreciate. The other question I have is when study permit is issued the work permit also remain valid. Can I still work or only can study ?
As long as you have your refugee status, all you have to do is keep your work and study permits valid and you can either study or work! Whatever you wish to do. Even if you apply and don't study or work, that's fine too. Just keep your documents valid at all times.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
As long as you have your refugee status, all you have to do is keep your work and study permits valid and you can either study or work! Whatever you wish to do. Even if you apply and don't study or work, that's fine too. Just keep your documents valid at all times.
Sounds great. R u studying by the way. Is it your personal experience or you know the process

Park Ha Na

Sep 9, 2020
I'm a high school student in grade 12. I'm a refugee claimant in Canada and I've not had my hearing yet. I want to know if I need a study permit, to study in the university after I graduate.

Park Ha Na

Sep 9, 2020
You need a study permit
Thank you. Do I have to apply during summer, before fall, or after I graduate high school. Like can I get it and go into the university before next fall, because that's when I will be graduating high school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. Do I have to apply during summer, before fall, or after I graduate high school. Like can I get it and go into the university before next fall, because that's when I will be graduating high school.
It may take a few months to get the study permit so apply as early as possible.