+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for Refugee Claimant.

Lecuma

Jan 26, 2020
Hi I'm waiting for my hearing and working, can I obtain a study permit? And if yes in the application form what do I have to upload as proof of funds cause I dont understand how much it's supposed to be if I'm here as a refugee, hope someone can help me.

janeil

Apr 8, 2020
Hi there,

I am a convention refugee who has to apply for a study permit as I'll be going to a university is fall 2019. My passport has already expired, so what should i write on the "expiry date" place on the application as the expired dates can not be accepted.
Also, to apply for a study permit, I have to show proof of funds. The only method of paying I have for university is OSAP. What should I be attaching exactly? I haven't recieved any osap confirmation letter whatsoever. Please let me know ASAP.
did you change the date for your passport expiry date??

Thej Madura

Apr 11, 2020
Hi
I am a refugee claimant and completed High school diploma an got qualified to Univercity of Toronto in 2019. I have applied gap year and have to start my studies by September 2020. My hearing was postponed due to Corona pandemic. Now I have to apply for study permit and wondering how to begin. Please advise about the procedure to be followed for applying study permit for university studies as a refugee claimant.
Thank you
Thej

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I am a refugee claimant and completed High school diploma an got qualified to Univercity of Toronto in 2019. I have applied gap year and have to start my studies by September 2020. My hearing was postponed due to Corona pandemic. Now I have to apply for study permit and wondering how to begin. Please advise about the procedure to be followed for applying study permit for university studies as a refugee claimant.
Thank you
Thej
You apply like any other international student and will have to apply by sending your application through the US. Asylum claimants have to pay international tuition. You (or your source of funding like your parents) will have to show that you have at least 25k but usually tuition plus at least 10k for living expenses And a way to support you financially throughout your studies. A job can only cover a portion of your expenses as a student.

Reactions: Thej Madura

Thej Madura

Apr 11, 2020
You apply like any other international student and will have to apply by sending your application through the US. Asylum claimants have to pay international tuition. You (or your source of funding like your parents) will have to show that you have at least 25k but usually tuition plus at least 10k for living expenses And a way to support you financially throughout your studies. A job can only cover a portion of your expenses as a student.
Thank you for the details. Is there any possibilities to extend my gap year for another one years period with University of Toronto. Please advise.

B O

Apr 23, 2020
I am a refugee claimant and i want to apply for study permit. Do you by chance know the amount i can show as proof of funds for my study? I have work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a refugee claimant and i want to apply for study permit. Do you by chance know the amount i can show as proof of funds for my study? I have work permit.
At least international student tuition plus 10k but preferably more.

B O

Apr 23, 2020
Well, the school i applied for processed me as a domestic resident and not via international student application. So I don't know if same proof as international student applies to me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, the school i applied for processed me as a domestic resident and not via international student application. So I don't know if same proof as international student applies to me
when you go to pay you may run into problems. Did you not apply as an international student? If you applied as a domestic student you would have been processed as a domestic student. Schools should be asking for PR card, citizenship ID or NOD for protected people. You will still need to prove you can pay international tuition to get the study permit.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
@SAMER MAHER How are you Samer. I couldn't find that post you made about postponed refugee. I think it is deleted. I think you are a pr applicant now.
Any news of your PR?

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hi Samer.
I am in 19th month of PR and still waiting.
You can join the PR timeline for refugees.
Because of covid now we are delaying for months.
Jalal