+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extensions

anusreesub

May 6, 2015
harbee said:
Hi guys...pls how do I contact cic. I submitted application may 15. Now they are working on May 27.

I guess my case is exceptional cus I came into Canada 2 months to my visa expiration.

Maybe that is why there is delay.
you can call their call center number from canada. hold time is usually 15 min, sometimes they wont connect you through at all saying they're too busy. But I have talked to the representative 3 times, and they were always helpful.

number is listed on the cic website

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100
Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays. :eek:

you can call them on tuesday.

lcnana

Jan 28, 2015
zhanghan said:
I think the date of your applied should be May 15th,all is more than 70 days in Ontario.
Nono i applied on jun 15th not may 15th..i think i am just one of the very lucky one

roadtofreedom16

Star Member
Jun 5, 2014
lcnana said:
Nono i applied on jun 15th not may 15th..i think i am just one of the very lucky one
i also consider myself a lucky one, i applied in the middle June and got approved on July 30th.

on July 14th, an email came in saying update but nothing happened on my CIC; on 27th another same email came in, and on 30th it showed approved.

thanks to many people here.

next job is to extend my visa, oh, i need to get the paper study permit first, then i can apply for visa extension, right?

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just logged into my account for regular checking to find my application has been approved! There was no update email whatsoever, weird.

My timeline:

Apply: May 22nd
Approved: August 4th
Total Days: 73

roadtofreedom16

Star Member
Jun 5, 2014
kkloveit said:
Just logged into my account for regular checking to find my application has been approved! There was no update email whatsoever, weird.

My timeline:

Apply: May 22nd
Approved: August 4th
Total Days: 73
Contrat, KK!

by the way, i wanna ask everybody here that, visa extension is under the "Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor" category, right?

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To those who got their extension approved, did you guys receive an In Canada Approval Letter in your myCIC account? I got one last year, but this time I don't.

Anna_polaca

Star Member
Jul 15, 2015
kkloveit said:
To those who got their extension approved, did you guys receive an In Canada Approval Letter in your myCIC account? I got one last year, but this time I don't.
I've got mine the next day after being approved on mycic...and today received study permit by mail :)

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
roadtofreedom16 said:
Contrat, KK!

by the way, i wanna ask everybody here that, visa extension is under the "Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor" category, right?
Thanks! It's been a nerve wrecking 73 days! What do you mean by visitor? Are you referring to the VISITOR status or the Visa you need to enter the country?

roadtofreedom16

Star Member
Jun 5, 2014
kkloveit said:
Thanks! It's been a nerve wrecking 73 days! What do you mean by visitor? Are you referring to the VISITOR status or the Visa you need to enter the country?
Ja, nerve wrecking :)

there's a visa attached to one of my passport pages showing " CANADA, MULTIPLE, STUDENT, etc....", it expires by the end of September this year, for sure i need to extend my stay here in Canada as a student, now i am studying in one school. And now i've got approved to study in a new school soon (the SP is on the way i suppose). I was wondering if the visa extension is under the "Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor" category from CIC website.

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
roadtofreedom16 said:
Ja, nerve wrecking :)

there's a visa attached to one of my passport pages showing " CANADA, MULTIPLE, STUDENT, etc....", it expires by the end of September this year, for sure i need to extend my stay here in Canada as a student, now i am studying in one school. And now i've got approved to study in a new school soon (the SP is on the way i suppose). I was wondering if the visa extension is under the "Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor" category from CIC website.
That extend your stay as a visitor ends up being a change of status which you DON'T WANT. IF you apply through that it will cancel your study permit and you will no longer be able to study. For the entry TRV, just fill up the questionnaire as a student and at the end, you can select whether to apply for Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa. Choose the Temporary Resident Visa option and you're all good to go.

roadtofreedom16

Star Member
Jun 5, 2014
kkloveit said:
That extend your stay as a visitor ends up being a change of status which you DON'T WANT. IF you apply through that it will cancel your study permit and you will no longer be able to study. For the entry TRV, just fill up the questionnaire as a student and at the end, you can select whether to apply for Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa. Choose the Temporary Resident Visa option and you're all good to go.
Thank you very much, kk

but i don't quite understand your meaning,
under the following cic link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
it says:

"Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so. Check your temporary resident status to make sure you apply before the expiry date. This will be on your study or work permit, the stamp in your passport or, if you do not have a stamp in your passport, 6 months from the day you entered Canada. You should apply 30 days before your status expires to:
•extend your visitor, student or work status,
•change your permit type (for example, from a study permit to a work permit) or
•change your permit condition(s) (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and you want to change jobs).

Find out how to extend your stay as a visitor."

do u mean i have to apply for a new TRV? if so, how? could you pls provide some links?

thanks very much.

roadtofreedom16

Star Member
Jun 5, 2014
i searched TRV, then i chose a link:
Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

then chose "Apply online for a visa"
it went to the page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
showing
Apply online

Determine your eligibility
...Answer a few questions to find ...

then two choices in Your results

Study Permit (in Canada)

You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada as a student

continue

Temporary Resident Visa

You will need a temporary resident visa to return to Canada.

If you are working or studying in Canada, your temporary resident visa may expire at the same time as your work or study permit. If your work or study permit is expiring soon, please renew your study or work permit first. Once your study or work permit is approved, you may apply for your temporary resident visa.

continue

so i should choose the Temporary Resident Visa option to continue, right?