+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
That guy @Ramandeeps4 had one of those system glitches where the review of eligibility starts almost immediately after submitting the application. Probably has a different timeline from ours, but he won't get it before the rest of November going by previous similar cases.

Ramandeeps4

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Idk why that happens though, like it changed to reviewing very next day of applying and the agent told me most of the work (verification) has been completed.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Idk why that happens though, like it changed to reviewing very next day of applying and the agent told me most of the work (verification) has been completed.
Yeah, it's a systemic glitch will be my first assumption. Since we know they check for completeness before review starts - actually review takes on the average a day unless you need to submit additional documents etc - so it is unlikely they are still reviewing.

I like (or hope) that they have "completed" all the verifications, that will mean that those applications can be processed relatively faster than normal.

Ramandeeps4

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
The agent also answered my question about working on implied status after applying for a PGWP, he told me its a big ‘NO’.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
The agent also answered my question about working on implied status after applying for a PGWP, he told me its a big ‘NO’.
This one is particularly interesting to me. An agent told me today that it is fine to work provided the study permit extension is not refused. She actually asked someone on the background who I reckon is their advisor or something.

According to her, your study permit is valid till the day a decision is made about your application, and applying for a PGWP on that status basically means you retain your work permit privilege.

That was in contrast to what the first guy I spoke to told me.
Like you, he told me verbatim that we couldn't work. Then a second guy told me that IRCC isn't clear yet on the work eligibility since the memo (RE: working on implied status) is relatively new, but that they should have details within the next few weeks or months knowing how slow they can get.

To me it is safest to not work, but I can't see them enforcing any action on working since there is such a big question mark about that case. It was like how everyone was convinced you couldn't apply for PGWP on implied status for SP extension, which turned out to be false despite it not being on the IRCC website at the time.

Reactions: ree14

Johncerb

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
This one is particularly interesting to me. An agent told me today that it is fine to work provided the study permit extension is not refused. She actually asked someone on the background who I reckon is their advisor or something.

According to her, your study permit is valid till the day a decision is made about your application, and applying for a PGWP on that status basically means you retain your work permit privilege.

That was in contrast to what the first guy I spoke to told me.
Like you, he told me verbatim that we couldn't work. Then a second guy told me that IRCC isn't clear yet on the work eligibility since the memo (RE: working on implied status) is relatively new, but that they should have details within the next few weeks or months knowing how slow they can get.

To me it is safest to not work, but I can't see them enforcing any action on working since there is such a big question mark about that case. It was like how everyone was convinced you couldn't apply for PGWP on implied status for SP extension, which turned out to be false despite it not being on the IRCC website at the time.
Its says that you must apply for your permit extension prior to your expiry date. Now when your old permit expires you can continue work or study in the same status called implied.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Its says that you must apply for your permit extension prior to your expiry date. Now when your old permit expires you can continue work or study in the same status called implied.
Yes, we know that. The conversation was as regards transitioning from study permit implied status to work permit implied status.