+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
Alright, so for those of us who are planning to apply for PGWP on implied status whose previous enrollment letter have elapse (Meaning IRCC can decide to request a new enrollment letter or outrightly refuse).

Is it reasonable to add a new enrollment letter to the PGWP application showing we were registered at some point in the current term? @canuck_in_uk @scylla @canuck78

**The new enrollment letter covering up to at least July (with the 90 days window)**
My university asked to attach 3 letters (all letters to be retrieved from the university after completion of degree), in pgwp application .
1. An official transcript showing all credits requirements completed.
2. Degree completion letter.
3. Enrollment letter (showing full-time status in all terms, no absence etc..). This helps IRCC to determine you have full-time status all the time.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I dont think they need new Enrollment because they extending December applicants too .
have read of cases here where CIC did not extend past the 90 days post completion date on the letter. Mines past that 90 days two weeks ago. A proof of my registration for this term would probably help in lieu of paying for restoration should the SP extension not be approved.

AKDHALIWAL

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020
Dear all
I submitted my extension on Jan 10, my kids' visitor record extension and my husband initial OWP.
this morning i received the correspondance letter, and now got approved.
Good luck to all

Last edited:
Reactions: ree14 and kloppity

Nifactor

Apr 21, 2020
Hello, I just wanted to share my timeline here.

Application Submitted: 12th of Jan 2020
No Need for Biometric
Correspondence letter received at 21st April 12:57 PM
Application Approved 21st April 6:20 PM
April 21, 2020 Your application was approved.

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020
Hello, I just wanted to share my timeline here.

Application Submitted: 12th of Jan 2020
No Need for Biometric
Correspondence letter received at 21st April 12:57 PM
Application Approved 21st April 6:20 PM
April 21, 2020 Your application was approved.
almost same timeline

Reactions: ree14

ssandhuuuu

Mar 31, 2020
Hi there , I'm in bit confusion right now . I applied for study permit extension on 22nd November with a 2 year program Enrollment. . But now due to some reasons i have to change my course in this may . So now if they ask for my Enrollment letter . I am going to provide my current Enrollment letter ?
im not sure whats going to happen !!
God help me !

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Hi there , I'm in bit confusion right now . I applied for study permit extension on 22nd November with a 2 year program Enrollment. . But now due to some reasons i have to change my course in this may . So now if they ask for my Enrollment letter . I am going to provide my current Enrollment letter ?
im not sure whats going to happen !!
God help me !
Just send them your new enrollment letter through a webform. It should be fine!

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Congratulations to all who got approved recently! As for the November applicants, guess we're playing the waiting game lol.

Btw any idea when the rule was changed to allow students on implied status to apply for PGWP? I have been waiting for so long (5 months) for SPE only cause the rules clearly stated that we needed a valid study permit in order to apply. Now it turns out that we can apply :(

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Congratulations to all who got approved recently! As for the November applicants, guess we're playing the waiting game lol.

Btw any idea when the rule was changed to allow students on implied status to apply for PGWP? I have been waiting for so long (5 months) for SPE only cause the rules clearly stated that we needed a valid study permit in order to apply. Now it turns out that we can apply :(
The new rule came into effect on April the 8th. So, just two weeks ago. Unfortunately, they didn't clarify if or not we could work.

Here is the date the rule was changed:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-pgwp-restoration.html

Reactions: ree14

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Does anyone have any questions? I'm on a call with a CIC officer rn!! i might have about 10 mins or so with him...

He's checking about our eligibility to work if we applied for PGWP on implied status rn. will update you guys asap

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

ssandhuuuu

Mar 31, 2020
Does anyone have any questions? I'm on a call with a CIC officer rn!! i might have about 10 mins or so with him...

He's checking about our eligibility to work if we applied for PGWP on implied status rn. will update you guys asap
Ask him ! Why the November applicants have to wait longer ?

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
So here's what the officer had to say: I was put on hold for about 15 mins after which the officer came back and said that if we sent in an application for PGWP on implied status, we are allowed to work. He sent me this additional information that I have mentioned below.

He was very clear on the phone that we can work but I forgot to ask if he meant full time or part-time as he did say that since we are on implied status, the same conditions that apply for students on study permit applies to us.

I would encourage you @kloppity to make a call too and clarify with them. I got through an agent within the first 10 minutes of calling so they are actually answering. Wait till all the automated messages are over. If we can actually work, we're good!

"Working while waiting for the PGWP

You may be allowed to work full-time in Canada if you applied for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and are waiting for a decision. To do so, you can show a potential employer you’re allowed to work by giving them a copy of all of the following documents:

• Proof that you completed your program(s) of study, such as:
    • the official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program, or
    • an official transcript or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website,
  • A copy of your study permit:
    • to be allowed to work right away, your permit should say: “May accept employment on or off-campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w); must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”,
  • A copy of the acknowledgment of receipt from your PGWP application, if you applied online:
    • to be allowed to work right away, the acknowledgment of receipt must have been received before your study permit expired.
If these conditions don’t apply to you, you must wait until your work permit arrives to begin your new job.

You can use these documents to work only until a decision is made on your PGWP application.

If your application for a PGWP is rejected or refused, you need to stop working the day we notify you of the rejection or refusal."

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Ask him ! Why the November applicants have to wait longer ?
So I asked about that and he said that they have been instructed to cease working on any temporary resident applications at the moment due to the COVID situation. Which includes SPE, work permits, everything. However, I did mention that people who applied after me are getting approved, and he said he doesn't have access to other applications so he can't say. The automated message I got when I called them said that if we applied online on or after NOV 7th, 2019, processing hasn't started. Which is clearly not true, we know someone who applied on Nov 18th and a few from before that date (& obviously after) who got their approvals...

So it seems to me that our applications are somehow in a different "batch" and officers are processing new/recent applications first to clear the backlog..but this is my interpretation of the situation so don't take my word on it.

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Guys, I encourage you to call as you'll get a faster response than on a web form. They're open from 9 am to 6 pm Mon-Fri as per the automated message I received when I called last night.
1 (888) 242-2100 (in Canada)

Reactions: meister