+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I have spent an ungodly amount of time on this website this month but this is for those of us needing the extension to apply for PGWP and contemplating applying with implied status:

The first person applied for a study permit extension in December 2019 and applied for a PGWP in February 2020. This was her post then:

Hi guys

Having problems with my PGWP now.. wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following situation

I finished school in December, 2019, study permit and visa expired on December 31, 2019. I applied for study permit extension on December 29th, 2019 (before it expired). Got my official transcript and letter from university on January 29, 2020. Applied for PGWP on February 5, 2020 along with a letter of explanation why I am applying for PGWP while being on implied status where I referred to my Study Permit Extension Application.

Is everything correct here? As far as I know I don't need valid study permit when applying for PGWP, I called CIC 100500 times but never got any useful info from them.

Would appreciate any help!
Going by the current timeline she's probably gotten a response for her extension and maybe even the WP. Unfortunately she hasn't been online since February 8th.

A second person (who had applied for extension way back in September 2019, and applied for PGWP in February as well mentioned his study permit extension application being under "quality assurance" and hadn't yet gotten a response.

Me in same situation .I also applied PGWP on implied status,along with letter of explanation on 05 feb 2020 , and on 06 feb2020 again called IRCC( 25 th time) for study permit extension application and then they are saying your SP extension application is under quality assurance review so the final decision will come in April 2020 ( 9 months I applied for SP extension in 24 septmber 2019) .and agent saying you cannot work full time until decision is not coming on study permit extension but my lawyer is saying you can work full time .
He would go on to make this thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/please-pls-read-this-its-important-study-permit-extension-received-strange-ans-from-ircc.677175/#post-8471095

Where he mentioned the CIC call center representative mentioning that he should stop working full time but part-time, and the user @canuck_in_uk saying he could. Unfortunately, there is sparse data on application for PGWP with implied status that it makes it very risky. I have tried to send PMs to both users to see if they have had any updates on either application.

You guys can follow up on those threads as well to see if you spot something I didn't.

PS: I have used the genders loosely, apologies to anyone who might be offended.

Last edited:

Ramandeeps4

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
I have spent an ungodly amount of time on this website this month but this is for those of us needing the extension to apply for PGWP and contemplating applying with implied status:

The first person applied for a study permit extension in December 2019 and applied for a PGWP in February 2020. This was her post then:

Going by the current timeline she's probably gotten a response for her extension and maybe even the WP. Unfortunately she hasn't been online since February 8th.

A second person (who had applied for extension way back in September 2019, and applied for PGWP in February as well mentioned his study permit extension application being under "quality assurance" and hadn't yet gotten a response.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/please-pls-read-this-its-important-study-permit-extension-received-strange-ans-from-ircc.677175/#post-8471095

Where he mentioned the CIC call center representative mentioning that he should stop working full time but part-time, and the user @canuck_in_uk saying he could. Unfortunately, there is sparse data on application for PGWP with implied status that it makes it very risky. I have tried to send PMs to both users to see if they have had any updates on either application.

You guys can follow up on those threads as well to see if you spot something I didn't.

Dear Kloppity,
Having myself applied on November 30, I can tell the stress you are dealing with at this moment. Even I had an engineering technician job offer letter that strictly said I am starting on May 11th, 2020. All was set for me to live a pleasant life after my continuous devotion towards academics. Guess what I just did, finished sending email to my dream employer that the immigration has failed me. Please don’t apply for PGWP as it says strictly on their website that you need a VALID SP to apply for it. Don’t do something out of frustration that you’d regret in the future. Please know that its not just you who they are sidelining.
Take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: kloppity

AKDHALIWAL

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Thank you for your message.
Please know, that there is no such thing as December or November applications, i.e. applications that are based on the month they are submitted. Each application is assessed on their own merit with so many more things impacting them other than the month of submission. All while all applications are currently being impacted by COVID19 related delays.

In this case, we are aware of the complications this situation is causing. Please be sure to check the official website for IRCC/COVID19 section as well as your online account.

Kind regards,

I got this reply from MP

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Please know, that there is no such thing as December or November applications, i.e. applications that are based on the month they are submitted. Each application is assessed on their own merit with so many more things impacting them other than the month of submission. All while all applications are currently being impacted by COVID19 related delays.

In this case, we are aware of the complications this situation is causing. Please be sure to check the official website for IRCC/COVID19 section as well as your online account.

Kind regards,

I got this reply from MP

AKA I have no intention to help you.

rony patel

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019

Kind regards,

I got this reply from MP
Lol that's worst than the canned response from the webform. If there is no such thing as November or December application then why the processing time tool used to show what application they are working on at that time! He clearly has no idea what he is talking about

k.karina

Feb 6, 2020

Hey,
Well there is not much going on with my applications. I did receive biometrics request letter in the beginning of March, submitted on March 13 (updated biometrics status on both applications) and nothing since then. I believe CIC is processing December applications for SP extension right now (more or less) and January applications for PGWP. I also paid $200 extra restoration fee for my PGWP in case my SP will be rejected or not processed by the time they pull up my work permit request. This is just a precaution for myself. I'll update if anything changes

Reactions: kloppity

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Hey,
Well there is not much going on with my applications. I did receive biometrics request letter in the beginning of March, submitted on March 13 (updated biometrics status on both applications) and nothing since then. I believe CIC is processing December applications for SP extension right now (more or less) and January applications for PGWP. I also paid $200 extra restoration fee for my PGWP in case my SP will be rejected or not processed by the time they pull up my work permit request. This is just a precaution for myself. I'll update if anything changes
How can you pay restoration fees with a PGWP app? Is it generated with the payment normally or did you try some other means?

Btw, they have - at least based on timelines here - completed processing December applications and are now on January 10th for study permit extension.

k.karina

Feb 6, 2020
How can you pay restoration fees with a PGWP app? Is it generated with the payment normally or did you try some other means?

Btw, they have - at least based on timelines here - completed processing December applications and are now on January 10th for study permit extension.
There is an option to pay extra fees online on CIC website. I paid $200 for PGWP (submitted receipt by Web Form) and similarly paid $85 for biometrics (submitted receipt by Web for to both application). Interesting thing here, I received biometrics payment request letter from SP application BUT after submitting the receipt, biometrics instruction letter came from WP application. The status is now updated on both as I mentioned before. Well CIC timeline is as reliable as weather forecasts.. they are randomly choosing applications now so there is an equal chance to receive the decision tomorrow or next year lol

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
There is an option to pay extra fees online on CIC website. I paid $200 for PGWP (submitted receipt by Web Form) and similarly paid $85 for biometrics (submitted receipt by Web for to both application). Interesting thing here, I received biometrics payment request letter from SP application BUT after submitting the receipt, biometrics instruction letter came from WP application. The status is now updated on both as I mentioned before. Well CIC timeline is as reliable as weather forecasts.. they are randomly choosing applications now so there is an equal chance to receive the decision tomorrow or next year lol
Thanks for the response. Probably because of cases like yours, they have updated their eligibility requirements for PGWP to include students on implied status whose SP extension applications are pending.

Did you talk to someone about work eligibility? If so, what did they say. There's little to no info on eligibility to work part-time or full-time whilst waiting for a decision.