Champion Member
Apr 26, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Hello everyone. I just received a study permit refusal letter from Canadian embassy. The reasons for my refusal are Travel history, Family ties and Purpose of visit.

Any solution(s) pls. I would appreciate it. I’m morally down
before you reapply, order GCMS notes and then rectify the reasons of rejection, That is when you reduce the rejection chances by many fold

Richy2

Star Member
May 13, 2019
I got a refusal letter today being a weekend. Planning of applying for GCMS note before reapplying.

Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds: • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence. • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit. • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

Any advice?

Richy2

Star Member
May 13, 2019
I got a refusal letter today being a weekend. Planning of applying for GCMS note before reapplying.

Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds: • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence. • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit. • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

Any advice?
But I don't have any family ties in Canada so I don't get it.

Turph_Kako

Jun 23, 2019
Hello worshipper,

Thanks for your post. However, I find your story quite far-fetched.

Are you talking about a Canadian Institution that is a DLI that refuses to refund all your money after you have proved that your visa was refused? I have been in this business since 2013, never have I had trouble withdrawing funds from a Canadian DLI on grounds of visa refusal. I know they will charge about $200CAD admin fee for the refund but that is already stated within the withdrawal policy. In fact most withdrawal policies are such that when a student has even gotten their permits, and are in Canada already and have only attended lectures for a specified period of time and then decide to quit the program, they are entitled to get their full refund. So name the school here, I will investigate why... I will rather pay money to a Canadian DLI and go to sleep than borrow my neighbor money. The reason is simple. I am 100% certain that I will get the refund back!

For others reading this, the Canadian study permit approval rates for Nigerians as at 2017 is less than 15%, by now it will be about 10%, 2018 report is not yet out. What is the implication of this, it means if 1,000 people apply for study permits from Nigeria only 100 will get their visas approved. This means you must do everything necessary to convince the VO of 3 basic things

1. Clear purpose of visit- Study via your LOA

2. Ability to Fund item (1)- Best you pay at least a semester, if you were working with me, I would demand you pay for a year, or else I would not touch your application. Even this is not a Guarantee, but its better than not paying at all.

3. Intention to return to home country after studies- This is the trickiest part of any Canadian study permit.

Many people do not actually have the funds, they just get a third party to put money in their accounts for them to present to the VO, well the embassy is very aware of this fact, and unless your parents are well known multimillionaires, just showing bank statement in an account will not convince the VO that the funds are actually at your disposal when it is time to put in the application. Please note that one of the major reasons it takes forever to get your study permit decision is the amount of investigation the VO is doing on your application and documents submitted, as well as background checks on source of income.

In the end its your choice, if you choose, pay your tuition, if you like don't pay, wetin your see, na you know.

Cheers

Omofar
Hello Omofar,

First of all, what do you mean by LOA?
And how do I prove I’ll be returning to my Country, after my studies in Canada.
I’ll also like to know if I’m to provide a Letter of Explanation and Statement Of Purpose is I’m applying for the Canadian study permit for the first time?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Any advice?
Hello Richy2,

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate news. Please apply for the GCMS notes, study the reasons for the refusal carefully before you re-apply.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar!
Pls kindly help me with some advice here.
Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.
Thank you.
Hello KateBen,

Thanks for visiting this thread. I am sorry that I am just responding to your query, I must have missed it.

It is unfortunate that your application for study permit was refused. I will strongly suggest you apply for the caips/gcms notes, study the rationale given by the VO for refusing your application, address the issues raised then re-apply. I wish all the best.

Omofar

Reactions: KateBen

Turph_Kako

Jun 23, 2019
Hello Omofar,

First of all, what do you mean by LOA?
And how do I prove I’ll be returning to my Country, after my studies in Canada.
I’ll also like to know if I’m to provide a Letter of Explanation and Statement Of Purpose is I’m applying for the Canadian study permit for the first time?
Hello Ofomar,

If so, where do I attach the SOP and Letter of Explanation as there’s no room for that in my application portal?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings!

GIS session #2

Anyone applying for study permit from Nigeria may be interested in the following data. It is the most updated data on the subject of study permit approval rates based on country of application. I will post data for Nigeria from 2012 to 1st quarter of 2017.

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017(1st Quarter)

Total Number of applications 4,279 5,486 7,488 8,903 10,273 2,545

Total Number Approved 1,650 2,490 3,123 3,560 2,501 371

% Approval 39% 45% 42% 40% 24% 15%

Source of the above information can be obtained here https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/63858380-265e-4948-8e96-ca50fceca2d7?_ga=2.237275528.964540470.1501869032-771005413.1497994661

If you analyse closely the data, you will see that there has been a steady decline in number of study permits approved for applicants from Nigeria. Only God knows what the approval rates will be today. This is the reason why you cannot afford to be complacent with your application to the Canadian embassy. Furthermore, you need to be sure that you are able to meet the minimum requirements, if you don't meet it, you are very unlikely to get your permit approved. So a quick way assess yourself are as follows

1. Age:- You need to consider this in relation to the level of qualification you want to pursue. Ideally, 17-20 (Undergraduate), 21-24 (PGC/PGDs/Masters), 25-27(PGC/PGD/Masters + at least 2-3 years relevant work experience), 27 and above (PhD + relevant work experience). This is not too say people cannot get permits outside of this bracket, but what I have posted is just the most ideal.

2. Funding:- Very Very Very Very Important. if you cannot demonstrate in a compelling manner that you can afford to sponsor yourself without needing to work while studying, you will not get a permit.

3. Travel History:- Depending on your age, they may waive this or take it more seriously. For example, a 32 year old man with no international travel history is now applying for study permit to pursue a Masters degree. The chances of getting a study permit approval are highly unlikely, he could be lucky may if he is being sponsored by a government agency etc.

4. Employment History:- If you are a mature applicant, from 26 and above and you do not have a relevant work history or experience and you want to apply for study permit, you are unlikely to get approved.

So I will advise you to read through, critically assess yourself, and determine if you are in a position to get a permit, if you are then you can approach a professional to assist you, if you are not, don't bother, that professional will just take you for a ride.

I wish you all the best with your plans for Canada.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Ofomar,

If so, where do I attach the SOP and Letter of Explanation as there’s no room for that in my application portal?
Hello Turph_Kako,

I really do not know why people separate the SOP and LOE. In my own experience, I have used only one Letter. I do not even title the letter SOP or LOE. I title it as Application for Study Permit. You can explain everything you want there. I recommend not more than a page, at most two pages. Most of the things you will be saying have already been answered in the other forms. You want to explain that you have recently accepted an offer to study so and so course at so and so school. You want to explain why you are applying for the course and how it is of more value to you personally than similar programs in Nigeria. You also want to tell the VO that you have paid x amount of your tuition (I recommend 1 session, but if not a minimum of a semester). You also want to explain your plan to return to your home country at the end of the program. blah, blah, blah. You can do this with 500 words that is a page. Finito...
When you write too much story, it becomes suspicious to the VO. The VO has a lot of applications to go through be/she does not have time to go through your epistle. You want to make it sufficient. Just enough to explain your situation, but not too much to get the VO irritated or suspicious. One page is fine.

Then you merge the letter (in your own case SOP and LOE) with the Letter Of Aaaceptance (LOA) and proof of payment as a single PDF, and upload it. Canadians call it that, I prefer to call is admission letter, but hey whatever makes the Canadians happy.. ;)o_O

All the best.

Omofar

Last edited:
Reactions: UrgentSender

Iphykings

Jun 9, 2019
Hello,
Am new here I want to apply to study in life science in Canada. Left secondary school in 2007 I have Hnd in marketing and am 30years old. What advice will you give me regarding my application.

estezah

Jun 24, 2019
Hi Omofar,

Reading your advice has truly been a great help. My application was approved. Thank you for your dedication to helping people here.

What's the longest time (number of days) it has taken to receive passport back after passport request?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Omofar,

Reading your advice has truly been a great help. My application was approved. Thank you for your dedication to helping people here.

What's the longest time (number of days) it has taken to receive passport back after passport request?
Wow...Congratulations!!! I am very happy for two things, that you got your permit approved, and that my mediocre advise contributed in some ways to help..Thanks so much.

Maximum 2 weeks.

Congratulations again, make the most of Canada.

All the best. :)

Omofar

Last edited: