+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

May 9, 2019
I'm to resume by September 3rd, but I had passport delay, I just collected it yesterday. The visa processing time right now is 9weeks, please do you think I can still meet up? Thanks

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GET INFORMED SESSION (GIS) : #1

Greetings Fellow Canadian Dreamers,

Welcome to the get informed session number 1 in this series. Today I will be explaining about Clear Purpose of Visit. I hope you find something interesting in here.

When the purpose of a thing is unknown, abuse becomes inevitable....Myles Munroe

According to the dictionary, purpose is simply the reason why something is being done, or a person's sense of resolve or determination to take a specific course of action. There different reasons why people want to leave where they are presently located to move to Canada. Whatever your reasons are, you must be able to clearly articulate it to the VO in a logical manner. There is a Logic to applying for visa to ANY country, the VO is unable to interview you or see you personally, so all he/she has to determine your application is by the LOGIC behind it. Let's look at two scenarios

Case 1: Sunday graduated from the University of Peace with a degree in Medical Microbiology 5 years ago at the age of 21, finished NYSC at 22, started working with PathCare Diagnostics since 23 years old till date. He has been to the UK once on holiday in the last two years. He now has an admission to pursue a postgraduate degree in Laboratory medicine, and wants to apply for a Canadian study permit.

Case 2: Friday graduated from the Federal University of Technology at Idumagbo with a degree in Engineering 5 years ago at the age of 25, finished NYSC at 26. He has been working as a maths and physics teacher at a small secondary school around Okokomaiko. He has never traveled out of Nigeria before, now he is 30 years old, he has admission to pursue a post-graduate degree in experimental physics, and he wants to apply for a study permit to Canada.

I will like to hear your opinions on the chances of Sunday and Friday of getting their permits approved.

In summary, in order to demonstrate a clear purpose that is satisfactory to the VO, both applicants must logically show that they meet the profile that is acceptable to Canadian VOs. The questions on the VO's mind would include, so what do they really want to go and do in Canada, is it really to study or as an avenue to escape the harsh economic realities in Nigeria, what is their age range, does the person's offer of admission match their undergraduate studies and the work experience they already have, or do they lack any work experience at all, is their personal achievement in their country significant, what value will the program they are planning to go for add to them, is there a similar program they could easily apply for in Nigeria? The purpose must make sense to the VO, the Logic must not be flawed. Why would someone for example want to go for a Masters degree in Igbo studies in Canada? It makes no sense. So in order to be able to convince the VO, you must begin to THINK like the VO.

Do I have a clear purpose, is there sound logic and reasoning behind my application, do I meet the minimum requirements, if not what can I do to make sure I have a better profile?

I hope this will help all those planing their applications to schools for admission to take note of the appropriate program to apply to.

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: MrOhizzy
Nov 17, 2018
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers
I want to apply for a work visa from Nigeria how possible is it

Nov 17, 2018
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

You are welcome.

Cheers
I want to get Canada visa for industrial work training which process is really considered

moetariq

Jun 10, 2019
Greetings!

You are welcome.

Cheers
Hello Omofar.
I am 40 years old with a degree in Economics and Masters in Banking and Finance. I worked in the bank for 9 and half years. I resigned and joined Kaduna Electricity Distribition Company. I have been there for almost 4 years. I applied for a masters certificate program at university of saskatchewan in Economic Analysis of Public Policy.

In my letter of explanation, I wrote that my Masters in Banking and Finance is limited to only bank and its actually useless outside the bank. Kaduna Electric is 40% government (public sector) and 60% private. There is a growing interest and thirst for renewable energy in Nigeria and I want to go to saskatchewan because in that same graduate school, they have facilitators for climate change and renewable energy which i am very interested in. The company (Kaduna Electric) is ready to give me a letter to the embassy permitting me to study the course. I have a wife and 3 children, a house and some lands here in Nigeria. I also have the full tuition and expenses money in my salary account. About 4.4 million naira and my retirement savings account has almost 6.9 million naira. I intend to attach these two for proof of funds.

I also want to add in the letter of explanation, that the one year certificate program is desirable not only because it is afforadble for me, but because Masters in public policy is 2 years, my employer will not keep my job for me beyond one year. And also I cannot stay away from my family for more than a year. I said I just need a certificate in public policy to give me validity and proficiency to become a consultant in renewable energy. Saskatchewan has one of the largest carbon undergound storages on earth, Even the Climate committee from the UN went to look at it this June. I said that the undergournd carbon storage facility is one of the main attractions for me as I intend to return to Nigeria and advocate for cleaner environment and renewable energy while I work for my employer. I also did a free MOOC online course this year in "Energy Transition, towards a carbon free world" from an IFP school in France, and intend to attach my certificate. This is to show the VO that I am really delving into renewable energy.

What do you think of my story? I know they will see my Masters and wonder why I am going back to the certificate but I hope the non applicability of banking and finance in energy sector, the affordability, the employer not giving me more than a year and my family are enough reasons.

Please reply with your thought and suggestions.

Reactions: milesdavis

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
I left sec school 2011 and am 25yrs old since then I have been into solar panel installation and maintenance but now I want to study in Canada, what is my chances of getting study permit
On the contrary to what you have been advised above, do not let anyone advise you into not applying for a study permit. Not everyone's case is the same. When people ask about "chances", you are simply asking their OPINIONS. Opinions are not actual facts. That being said, I strongly encourage you to apply for a study permit if studying in Canada is your dream and if you have the funds. Just explain why you have such a gap and be truthful. It is better you take a chance and be rejected (which welcomes re-application) than not taking a chance at all. I wish you the best.

Cheers. x

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar.
I am 40 years old with a degree in Economics and Masters in Banking and Finance. I worked in the bank for 9 and half years. I resigned and joined Kaduna Electricity Distribition Company. I have been there for almost 4 years. I applied for a masters certificate program at university of saskatchewan in Economic Analysis of Public Policy.

In my letter of explanation, I wrote that my Masters in Banking and Finance is limited to only bank and its actually useless outside the bank. Kaduna Electric is 40% government (public sector) and 60% private. There is a growing interest and thirst for renewable energy in Nigeria and I want to go to saskatchewan because in that same graduate school, they have facilitators for climate change and renewable energy which i am very interested in. The company (Kaduna Electric) is ready to give me a letter to the embassy permitting me to study the course. I have a wife and 3 children, a house and some lands here in Nigeria. I also have the full tuition and expenses money in my salary account. About 4.4 million naira and my retirement savings account has almost 6.9 million naira. I intend to attach these two for proof of funds.

I also want to add in the letter of explanation, that the one year certificate program is desirable not only because it is afforadble for me, but because Masters in public policy is 2 years, my employer will not keep my job for me beyond one year. And also I cannot stay away from my family for more than a year. I said I just need a certificate in public policy to give me validity and proficiency to become a consultant in renewable energy. Saskatchewan has one of the largest carbon undergound storages on earth, Even the Climate committee from the UN went to look at it this June. I said that the undergournd carbon storage facility is one of the main attractions for me as I intend to return to Nigeria and advocate for cleaner environment and renewable energy while I work for my employer. I also did a free MOOC online course this year in "Energy Transition, towards a carbon free world" from an IFP school in France, and intend to attach my certificate. This is to show the VO that I am really delving into renewable energy.

What do you think of my story? I know they will see my Masters and wonder why I am going back to the certificate but I hope the non applicability of banking and finance in energy sector, the affordability, the employer not giving me more than a year and my family are enough reasons.

Please reply with your thought and suggestions.
Hello moetariq,

Thanks for visiting this thread, I hope well.

I think your LOE is well though out and well articulated. I don't think I can add anything to it. Nevertheless, your age is a big problem here and the VO would feel you may not have an intention to return to the country. I don't know what your long term plans are, why not consider the Express Entry route?

All the best.

Omofar

moetariq

Jun 10, 2019
Hello moetariq,

Thanks for visiting this thread, I hope well.

I think your LOE is well though out and well articulated. I don't think I can add anything to it. Nevertheless, your age is a big problem here and the VO would feel you may not have an intention to return to the country. I don't know what your long term plans are, why not consider the Express Entry route?

All the best.

Omofar
Thank you Omofar. I have been in the express entry pool since last year. Excellent ielts results but age kept my CRS score low. It will be 419 this month as I clock 40. The CRS scores are in the 450s now and no PNP has called me.

Let me ask, in the study Permit online application, I will be asked if I have applied to Canada as a permanent resident? I'm confused if to answer yes or no. My friend says I should say no because I am only in the pool but have not been Invited to Apply. Is he right?

Also I once applied student permit 11 years ago in 2008 but was rejected (didn't convince them I would return), I should also disclose this when they ask if I have applied for study permit before right?
Thank you.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Omofar. I have been in the express entry pool since last year. Excellent ielts results but age kept my CRS score low. It will be 419 this month as I clock 40. The CRS scores are in the 450s now and no PNP has called me.

Let me ask, in the study Permit online application, I will be asked if I have applied to Canada as a permanent resident? I'm confused if to answer yes or no. My friend says I should say no because I am only in the pool but have not been Invited to Apply. Is he right?

Also I once applied student permit 11 years ago in 2008 but was rejected (didn't convince them I would return), I should also disclose this when they ask if I have applied for study permit before right?
Thank you.
Hello Moetarig,

Thanks for your queries. Straight off the bat, HONESTY is always the best policy, it will help you with your application. So make sure you disclose any information asked of you on the form. There is no where on the form to the best of my recollection that asks if you have ever applied to Canada for permanent residency. It only asks whether you have ever applied to enter Canada before. The answer to this would be yes, in 2008 for study permit purposes. If you have the refusal letter include it in your application. As for being in the express entry pool, that does not equate to applying to Canada. You have not 'applied' you have put in an 'expression of interest' of which it is yet to be considered. Since your scores are hoovering around 419, I would suggest you look into the PNPs more, all those Nova scotia, Saskatchewan, and Prince Edward Island, Manitoba as well. But if that is not your priority you can delete your 'expression of interest' from the pool.

Then give your study permit application, your circumstances have changed since 2008, do you have any international travel history, if yes, I feel you have a good chance of getting study permit application approved if the application is well packaged.

Please let us know how it goes.

All the best..

Omofar

Brian prince

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello Moetarig,

Thanks for your queries. Straight off the bat, HONESTY is always the best policy, it will help you with your application. So make sure you disclose any information asked of you on the form. There is no where on the form to the best of my recollection that asks if you have ever applied to Canada for permanent residency. It only asks whether you have ever applied to enter Canada before. The answer to this would be yes, in 2008 for study permit purposes. If you have the refusal letter include it in your application. As for being in the express entry pool, that does not equate to applying to Canada. You have not 'applied' you have put in an 'expression of interest' of which it is yet to be considered. Since your scores are hoovering around 419, I would suggest you look into the PNPs more, all those Nova scotia, Saskatchewan, and Prince Edward Island, Manitoba as well. But if that is not your priority you can delete your 'expression of interest' from the pool.

Then give your study permit application, your circumstances have changed since 2008, do you have any international travel history, if yes, I feel you have a good chance of getting study permit application approved if the application is well packaged.

All the best..

Omofar
Hello omofar please it's very urgent I got a message for misrepresentation in my mother's account (she applied for visitors visa linked with my study permit application). When asked has she been refused visa to Canada or other countries or deported our answer was no meanwhile she was refused to USA in 2017, it wasn't deliberate as I think it's the fault of our agent we most likely told him she has been refused; or maybe the agent asked us if we have been refused visa to Canada only (we've never applied to Canada so we must have told him no and he mistakenly forgot to ask us for other countries) and previously on this thread I think you said you've had such a situation. Please any advice would be welcome as I am the one who had applied since June 12 and did biometrics June 27 last year 2018 and not received a reply till now no refusal no approval (I have spoken with you about my case in this forum probably between December and February)

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello omofar please it's very urgent I got a message for misrepresentation in my mother's account (she applied for visitors visa linked with my study permit application). When asked has she been refused visa to Canada or other countries or deported our answer was no meanwhile she was refused to USA in 2017, it wasn't deliberate as I think it's the fault of our agent we most likely told him she has been refused; or maybe the agent asked us if we have been refused visa to Canada only (we've never applied to Canada so we must have told him no and he mistakenly forgot to ask us for other countries) and previously on this thread I think you said you've had such a situation. Please any advice would be welcome as I am the one who had applied since June 12 and did biometrics June 27 last year 2018 and not received a reply till now no refusal no approval (I have spoken with you about my case in this forum probably between December and February)

Hello Brian Prince,

Sorry to hear about your situation. You should have first obtained your permit before asking your mother to put in her permit as well.

Secondly find out if the agent signified on the online application if he was applying on your behalf, if he said no, then there is no reasonable way to present deniability. Finally, you can write a letter explaining all these, and hopefully they will be kind enough to do so. In the case of the client I was assisting, they did not believe it was not deliberate and they refused the application and banned her for 2 years. I felt so bad.

I am sorry I don't have more encouraging news for you.

All the best.

Omofar

Nov 25, 2018
Lagos
Visa Office......
Lagos
Hello omofar, I was denied visa today they said they are not satisfied that I'll leave Canada after my studies, and I was told that I can reapply, I want to reapply tomorrow please what are the things I need to take note of when reaplying.

moetariq

Jun 10, 2019
Hello Moetarig,

All the best..

Omofar
Thanks lot Omofar. I just got my admission letter yesterday.
Unfortunately I do not have ANY international travel history. I am middle aged and leaving a family, house and job behind. THey would still consider me a flight risk?
What do you advise?

Osasstudy

Jun 13, 2019
I have been refused study permit, I just discovered this forum and wish it was before my application.
Any ways ground of refusal are:
Purpose of visit
Travelling history
Proof of fund
I wish to request for CAIPS but there is this time factor. My acceptance letter will expire 3rd Sept.
I am 38, holds B.Sc (Ed) in Computer Science, About completing M.Sc. (Ed) in Computer Science and have been offered admission on Graphic Communications and Technology Management, Diploma program, full time for 2 years. I need your advice please.